Pit to car radio app available - work in progress

Discussion in 'Community Workshop' started by mr_belowski, Jun 24, 2015.

1. Georg Ortner

Georg Ortner KW Studios Developer

Ratings:
    +3,508 / 0 / -0
  2. mr_belowski

mr_belowski Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +1,307 / 0 / -0
    Guys, I've uploaded a new version to Google Drive. This includes a new event set for improving / consistent / worsening lap times. I've also tweaked the audio player to beep before a set of sounds, pay each of the sounds, then beep again (instead of beeping before each sound).

Now, my testing time has been a bit limited for this (it does work but don't hate me if it doesn't ;)) so I recommend you keep a backup of the old version before you replace it (you can still get the previous version from google drive).

I'll test it in more depth later on today.

• Like Like x 2
  3. mr_belowski

Ratings:
    +1,307 / 0 / -0
    Pixeljetstream - really looking forward to having a look at it :)

Sector 3 guys - once all these changes are done and we can mix the background audio in as we play the sound files, would I be permitted to record background audio from R3E while in the pit lane? If I can do this I'll be seriously tempted to re-record my own audio files with a bit of added urgency and excitement :)

• Like Like x 2
  4. D.Boon

D.Boon Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +386 / 0 / -0
    @mr_belowski Great work with this, it sounds like it was developed to be integrated with R3E right from the start, incredibly natural fit. I imagine a lot of work has gone into it.
    I wonder, would it be possible for the guys @Sector3 to make this an official app and package it within the game?

@Sector3 Have you guys offered @mr_belowski a job yet? lol

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. machwebb

machwebb Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +224 / 0 / -0
    Shall I record the samples without background then guys??

6. pixeljetstream

pixeljetstream Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +412 / 0 / -0
  7. D.Boon

D.Boon Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +386 / 0 / -0
    Background adds atmosphere, I like it, you've never sounded so "chipper" though, maybe tone the excitement down a little? lol
    Are you pinching your nose when you talk too? :p

• Funny Funny x 1
  8. Tarik Userli

Tarik Userli Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +578 / 0 / -0
    Can u change wav to mp3? It's a smaller package then.
    Here is a Suggestion from me:

Press a key and the pit crew says: tyre temps, lap time etc. It's better when i became the Information when i want.

9. mr_belowski

Ratings:
    +1,307 / 0 / -0
    I think you might have to (re-record them without background, I mean) :(

It really does 'jar' when the app plays two samples end to end and the background noise isn't continuous.

There's another audio library available in C# that can play concurrent streams, and Lua certainly can, so real-time mixing of background won't take long to add. I think what we need here is clean audio files (maybe with some radio crackle), and a separate set of much longer files with pit lane background noise (maybe even recorded from R3E - could even do it on a per-car-class basis :)).

When the voice messages are played we pick a (sensible) random offset into one of the background noise files and play background noise from there while the voice messages play. This is why the background noise files would need to be quite long - in the most simplistic approach they'd need to be twice as long as any voice messages which might get played together as a set.

I think I'll probably add a limit to the number of messages allowed to be queued (6 or 7 maybe) so the app doesn't start really babbling ;)

10. mr_belowski

Ratings:
    +1,307 / 0 / -0
    MP3 is something I considered but I don't want the CPU overhead of decoding them, and the simple audio player doesn't support them. I don't know if the app can listen for button events because it's running in the background.

My voice is just naturally bunged up, and I'm such a chilled out man this is all the excitement I can muster unless I get loaded on caffeine or something stronger :)

• Like Like x 1
  11. JyriK

JyriK Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +59 / 0 / -0
    It would be nice if there were links in the first post (i'm new to this). This latest doesn't work for me (systemnullreferenceblahblah). Cheers!

12. mr_belowski

Ratings:
    +1,307 / 0 / -0
    Gah! Yes, I've uploaded a completely broken version. Fixing it now...

• Informative Informative x 1
  13. mr_belowski

Ratings:
    +1,307 / 0 / -0
    • Like Like x 1
  14. machwebb

Ratings:
    +224 / 0 / -0
    okay cool...I gathered from what i read thatyou are programming it to play the background seperately..just making sure

15. pixeljetstream

pixeljetstream Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +412 / 0 / -0
    small complaint at S3S, naming the variables in C as "number_of_laps" vs C# using "NumberOfLaps" is a bit of a pain ;) would urge you to unify (am adopting the c# naming now to ease porting process).

edit: nevermind, not that much work to copy pate the names, and the C style names are more Cish ;) one could argue to use ansi C style /* */ comments instead of // to make it look really old school.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2015
  16. JyriK

JyriK Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +59 / 0 / -0
    I like it a lot. No phoney excitement.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. machwebb

Ratings:
    +224 / 0 / -0
    Taken my files down to redo them.

18. mr_belowski

Ratings:
    +1,307 / 0 / -0
    Thanks mach :)

19. Christian G

Christian G Topological Agitator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +2,411 / 0 / -0
    The class sensitive option is what I was looking for, didn't think it'd be possible, but hey, not complaining at all. :)

Would it be possible to make it session sensible as well?
    I'm asking cause I've got some longer audio samples from pitlanes (several minutes) but in those you can hear a lot of working sounds going on in the background (like powerdrill, engines starting etc.) wich would sound awesome during a practice or quali session but not so much during a race cause then those usually don't occur (except when someones pitting of course).

20. mr_belowski

Ratings:
    +1,307 / 0 / -0
    Those things (including class specific backgrounds) would be possible if and when the car class is available in the data block, but it might be hard for S3 to represent this in a sensible and fixed length way.

Of course, I still need to do the work at my end (or pixeljetstream's lua app) to play concurrent streams