Pit to car radio app available - work in progress

Discussion in 'Community Workshop' started by mr_belowski, Jun 24, 2015.

1. taxfree

taxfree Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +51 / 0 / -0
    I made an walkie talkie sound patch.
    Check my attachment below.
    Also, you can check the preview video of this sound patch before you try.
    Hope you like it.

Tips
    • Simply overwrite CrewChief/sounds subfolder. ( Replace all the sound files )
    • I’ve tested with default sound setup in R3E. ( 100% volume )
    • Only use with 28/06/2015 build version.

Attached Files:

• Love it! Love it! x 1
  2. mr_belowski

mr_belowski Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +1,307 / 0 / -0
    I need to version these packages. I'll also sort out the missing error handling so it simply disables an event sub type if there's no sound files in the sub type's folder. That way you can use a sound pack that's not complete without the whole app barfing. I'll make that my priority when I get time this evening

3. Georg Ortner

Georg Ortner KW Studios Developer

Ratings:
    +3,508 / 0 / -0
    Tested the latest version and it works fine.

Position info was off a few times, telling me i was leading the race, when i wasnt.
    Also didnt get a victory message after i won the race, but "we are going to get them next time" instead.

Really enjoying this though. Keep up the good work!

4. mr_belowski

Ratings:
    +1,307 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for the info, I'll see if I can get to the bottom of that cos inaccurate messages are a major immersion breaker

• Like Like x 1
  5. Mikael Hermansson

Mikael Hermansson Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +48 / 0 / -0
    I tried to stick with whatever's idiomatic for the platform in the samples. I'm more of a lowerCamelCase C++ guy myself though, so excuse any inconsistencies in them. I'll leave the C comments the way they are though. ;)

6. Christian G

Christian G Topological Agitator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +2,411 / 0 / -0
    Good, but the voice is too clear for my likeing. I really like the old school radio sound, like the one I posted in a previous message or the sound of the TTR Pit Chief Teddie - GTR2 Sound Mod v2_0 by Teddie

• Informative Informative x 1
  7. pixeljetstream

pixeljetstream Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +412 / 0 / -0
    Here is a current snapshot of the lua version
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B7yXS_-cDz2IdHBpcEtlOEF3bUE/view?usp=sharing

run the ".cmd" file for an artificial test. It's untested with the actual game ;) but the simulator creates the same memory mapped file. It is expected that the "smoketest" at the beginning gets interrupted by the simulation start. Only laptimes and position events are ported so far.

There is couple bigger internal design differences, but in principle it provides same logistics as @mr_belowski C# version. It does have a looping background noise (ogg converted file found on the web) and tries to minimize beeps if messages come within certain time difference.

MP3 does require a license for decoding, afaik, so I'd suggest ogg vorbis and wav...

There is a config file that looks like this, which would allow you to have different voices in parallel
    Code:
      pollrate  = 1000/60 -- milli seconds (default 60 Hz)
      volume    = 1
      voice     = "english_male"
      bleepWait = 0.7
      background = true
      backgroundVolume = 0.7
      backgroundPitch  = 2.5
      disabledEvents = { filenamehere = true, }
      useSimulator = true

If people think it's worth pursuing, I would spend more time in porting the events and adding UI... I highly recommend getting zbstudio http://studio.zerobrane.com/ or from https://github.com/pkulchenko/ZeroBraneStudio if you want to edit it. Just open a lua file in it and click the "Set project directory from current file" icon (5th icon from left), so the project tree shows the directory. When r3e-crew-chief.lua is the current file, press F6 to execute it.

Edit: the project is on github now https://github.com/pixeljetstream/r3e-crew-chief-lua however without any sound files

Last edited: Jun 28, 2015
  8. AMG Vilas ®™

AMG Vilas ®™ Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +45 / 0 / -0
    How do the install please help me on what part of RRE

• Dislike Dislike x 1
  9. AMG Vilas ®™

Ratings:
    +45 / 0 / -0
    How do the install please help me on what part of RRE

10. Christian G

Ratings:
    +2,411 / 0 / -0
    No need to install, just run the exe file inside the main folder before starting R3E.

11. AMG Vilas ®™

Ratings:
    +45 / 0 / -0
    what main folder if you please

• Dislike Dislike x 1
  12. Christian G

Ratings:
    +2,411 / 0 / -0
    After unpacking the zip file you have to open the folder that has been created (CrewChief). In there, among other files, is an exe file called "CrewChief.exe". Just run that and start R3E, done. =)

13. AMG Vilas ®™

Ratings:
    +45 / 0 / -0
    thanks

• Dislike Dislike x 1
  14. mr_belowski

Ratings:
    +1,307 / 0 / -0
    Still not sorted out proper versioning of these packages, but I made a start on the error handling. Nothing nice at the moment - just catch the errors when folders or sub-folders are missing in the sounds pack and disable the relevant event. This should allow the app to run even if the sound pack is incomplete - the missing sounds will be queued and show in the debug window but it won't (obviously...) play anything.

This new version is now on GoogleDrive

I've also added some debug to try and get to the bottom of the inaccurate position messages but I've not been able to reproduce it and the code is actually really simple here - there don't appear to be bugs at my end. I did spot a potential issue where if the position in the data block or the state my app holds gets set to zero, it plays the 'we'll get 'em next time' message, when it should just play nothing. Can't see why it would end up like that but you never know.

If anyone continues to hear inaccurate position messages, could please you provide details of what position you were actually in, what message you heard and (where possible) what lap you were on (should be in the debug window). Also please bear in mind that the message might actually be quite 'stale' by the time you hear it. If you cross the line in 3rd and the app plays a few long messages ('the pit window is opening, 'decent lap', 'your lap times are improving, keep it up', for example), it can be a few seconds before the queued 'you're in 3rd' message gets played. By that time you might be leading :)

I will add some priority to the queue so they can be sorted before playing. For the example above the 'you're in 3rd' message should definitely come first

15. Christian G

Ratings:
    +2,411 / 0 / -0
    I've had wrong position messages as well, but if I remember correctly that was only in MP! Could it have something to do with multiclass races or an inacurate position table in mp sessions?

@taxfree Attached is a take on what I meant earlier.
    EDIT: I think it'd be best to add the squelch sound at the beginning and end of each transmission rather than at the end of the beep as these only occur when a transmission is incomming or ending.
    For perfect immersion the background noise would then also have to be muted in between transmissions (if possible).

Attached Files:

16. mr_belowski

Ratings:
    +1,307 / 0 / -0
    Hmmm... could be lag related I guess. I could add something to make the position messages a bit more resilient to such 'noise' (e.g. when the position in the data block changes rapidly when MP cars appear and disappear when lagging). I'll have a think about it. Has anyone seen inaccurate position messages when racing the AI?

One more thing to bare in mind is that you might *think* you won, but in DTM 2014 if you ran the options for more than half the race you'll get a 1 minute penalty.

17. AMG Vilas ®™

Ratings:
    +45 / 0 / -0
    Mr. Belowski thanks for your job
    Obrigado in Portuguese ;)

18. Georg Ortner

Ratings:
    +3,508 / 0 / -0
    The position erros happend to me in Single Player race, DTM Experience 2014.
    No multiclass, and i also pitted correctly.

19. mr_belowski

Ratings:
    +1,307 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for the info. I'm stumped to be honest but I'll look again at my code. It's probably something so simple I just can't see it. Is it something that happens a lot? I've honestly not seen it

20. Georg Ortner

Ratings:
    +3,508 / 0 / -0
    No, it doesnt happen a lot. And if it does, it always says i´m in the lead, which i´m not.