AI behaviour

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Emerson Meyer, Jun 4, 2015.

1. rubbaDuck

rubbaDuck Member

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    I really love the R3E AI, but there is one issue that is annoying me since the first days of Raceroom AI:
    • For example Red Bull Ring, long straights after turn one and two: AI is driving on the racing line on the right side of the track. I am side by side left to the AI. At the end of the straight the race line is moving slowly from right to left. Although I am directly aside, the AI is just following the racing line pushing me off the track. - This is happening each and every time I am in this position. They are completely ignoring me. Only solution is to avoid overtaking/driving on the left side of AI opponents in these track sectors.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  2. Emerson Meyer

Emerson Meyer Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +61 / 0 / -0
    I would like to see the AI losing grip after the contacts. They are still a bit like tanks. At least the GT cars.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  3. 2Lame2Aime

2Lame2Aime Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +75 / 0 / -0
    On longer racer after mandatory pit stops there are some bigger gaps between the drivers but nearly everytime the driver in front is the slowest so the rest can catch him and then the long train of cars drives to the end of the race. Thats not realistic.
    As the others said the Ai is mutch to careful. They even brake on straights instead of overtaking.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. Marko Hartikainen

Marko Hartikainen Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +47 / 0 / -0
    Might need to add that most of the classes are not revisited yet with the new AI code, only the recent releases are better optimized for the new code, and even those could use another look when time allows:)

DTM92, Group 5 and GTR2 are most advanced AI wise, DTM14 and WTCC13 comes next, the rest will follow...won't say soon though cause I don't know when, but those are on the todo list :)

EDIT: Forgot to mention tracks are also ongoing work in progress AI wise, most of them need some fine tuning for corner speeds with the new AI.

• Informative Informative x 5
    • Like Like x 2
  5. theravenousbeast

theravenousbeast Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +155 / 0 / -0
    I'll just chime in my opinion. Everyone who was crying over the aggressive AI; have fun following the choo-choo train now. :rolleyes:
    This feels more like GTR2/R07 AI all over again

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  6. Rodger Davies

Rodger Davies Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +594 / 0 / -0
    Greatly appreciate the info Marko; is it worth us creating a thread for specific AI slow points on tracks or have you already got a fairly detailed list?

7. James Cook

James Cook Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,013 / 0 / -0
    I think people were quite entitled to complain about the aggressive AI pre-patch, but I agree that the AI has gone too far the other way. As @2Lame2Aime mentioned, I've seen AI braking on straights rather than attempting an overtake. That's not good at all.

A happy medium is required.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Emerson Meyer

Emerson Meyer Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +61 / 0 / -0
    Aggressiveness is not equal to blindness.

My several complains were always toward the complete lack of awareness of the AI cars.

It was really frustrating to race waiting for the moment that the car behind will hit you, pushing you off the track, and keep safe and sound.

It´s possible to find a solution for this. I would start, as I said before, making the AI cars more prone to lose grip, and the player car showing a more realistic response to the contacts. It seems, sometimes, that our car just lose weight/grip completely.

I know, it´s not an easy task.:(

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Marko Hartikainen

Marko Hartikainen Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +47 / 0 / -0
    We know these for the most parts, but might have missed some. So creating a thread for feedback about corners or sections of tracks where AI is too fast or too slow would help a lot.

10. Gopher04

Gopher04 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +237 / 0 / -0
    Hockenheim at the hairpin, AI floor it half way round and end up hitting the barrier, tested with WTCC 2013.

11. Azfalt Raser

Azfalt Raser Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +162 / 0 / -0
    Sorry for the poor editing. I was in a hurry to get this out. youtube video of what you are talking about.
    In the first collision, AI runs into my side and I'm instantly sent wide.
    In the 2nd collision (final turn), although I have the inside line and full wheel lock to the left.....well....watch the result.
    I would have expected the outside car to go slightly wide since we are usually on a knife's edge as far as grip in that corner.

From what I read above, I believe DTM AI has not been "patched" as yet - must be the case since I was constantly getting brake checked. :rolleyes:
    I was training AI in DTM 2014 @ Hungaroring. 3 races to get them to run my pace. Started on pole....then a demolition derby broke out - I was on the losing end. :D

Suggestion:
    Keep aggression
    Major impact avoidance (for the rest of the packs - no problem with bumping, rubbing, love taps...)
    AI has grip level appropriate for the pace they are driving. The less grip they have, the slower laptimes they turn. But they are braking in proper brake zone and accelerating properly for that pace. We can "unsettle" their car too. :D

Isn't R3E great? We talk about issues and suggestions are patched into the sim. A balance will be found eventually.

• Like Like x 2
  12. mr_belowski

mr_belowski Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +1,307 / 0 / -0
    • Like Like x 4
  13. Azfalt Raser

Azfalt Raser Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +162 / 0 / -0
    I believe they are aware of the AI issues. That's the reason for the patch for the newer packs. And they are working on the patch for the remainder of the other packs. It's been a thoroughly discussed issue in more than one Raceroom related forum.

14. Jynn

Jynn Member

Ratings:
    +24 / 0 / -0
    Is there any config file where one can edit the individual AI abilities to create more spread? It feels a bit silly that I can be leading a race for 10 minutes, make 1 mistake and go wide onto grass and the entire field goes by for a last place finish. Just doesn't seem realistic at all unless you can show me a real race other than nascar where the whole field was together after 10 minutes

15. JNRRR

JNRRR Active Member

Ratings:
    +25 / 0 / -0
    I´m relatively sure there is such a file, but it is not accessible for the user/player.

Don´t think more spread in lap times is needed, as in reality in most race-series there is not a such big spread in laptimes beween the drivers/cars.

The gaps between cars in reality result more from sucessfull/unsucessfull passing maneuvers (as such a fight cost always time), defending maneuvers or driving mistakes. Unfortunately with the the new update the AI almost stopped to overtake, what results in a static race.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  16. machwebb

machwebb Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +224 / 0 / -0
    Blummin 'eck. I can barely race online because of the state of the dedi servers and some people generally not displaying any knowledge of how to behave on track. So I thought I'd try and do an ADAC14 championship in SP..@110% in practice AI just come barging through as if they are racing, and in the race I'm driving next to claudia, and I'm off, spinning...difficult to enjoy Raceroom if you want to race atm. Good job I just like driving the cars.

I was hoping to make YT series...As real as I could, so if I crashed or ended up in the sand....Race over or quali over...or even weekend over if I totally wiped out..I'll leave it i reckon.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2015
  17. JNRRR

JNRRR Active Member

Ratings:
    +25 / 0 / -0
    Dear Sector3,

are there plans to update/improve the AI behaviour regarding the passive overtaking-behaviour with the next update? (which will be probably next week)

Sincerely...

• Like Like x 1
  18. unrealnoise

unrealnoise New Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    The AI in the Racerrom is good, BUT:
    They are really slow for me. I'm not the pro or alien simracer, but example:

Brands Hatch & Volvo 240 Turbo in the Single Race:

120% AI settings:
    The best qual time for the AI: 48.9

Adaptive AI settings:
    The best qual time for the AI: 48.6

My time: with the default setup! is 47.7!

I hope the AI are improved the next patch, I'm hopeful that the AI is better and better. I'm primarily an offline player, but I'm not enjoy with the races and quals now.

Maybe more options, example 80->140%, or better Adaptive learning for AI....

Please Sector 3, it"s very important for me!

This is the Adaptive AI - Qual screenshot. And yes, my name is Renato ;)

RRRE 2015-07-16 22-47-18-51.png

19. The Angry Hamster

The Angry Hamster Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +148 / 0 / -0
    Most of the places I've seen AI 'issues' are mostly around tracks where it's difficult to pass in a 'normal' passing zone. What I mean by that is a track which does not have a decent straight followed by a slow turn. A prime example of this is Sonoma where most of the overtaking happens going into medium or fast corners. The AI seems unwilling to enter these corners side by side even if they get a run on one another, or a run on me. Conversely, when I attempt to pass them going into these types of corners, they tend to back out entirely instead of fight with me like they will in other places. It's possible it's a track-by-track thing, as I've noticed it most intensely (and recently) at Sonoma, but it seems to be fairly common at this point. Just something to observe and check.