Restart race because of crashing Ai

Dieses Thema im Forum "General Discussion" wurde erstellt von c3lix, 26. März 2016.

1. Christian G

Christian G Topological Agitator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +2.411 / 0 / -0
    It's not unusual that they might be faster at first. That's really weird and kinda...well, irritating about adaptive AI, on some track/class-combos they will start off being much slower than the average user, on other combos it will be the exact opposite.

I thought about what you said earlier and now mentioned again, that you used the McLaren only. Again, I can't know for sure, but it could be that there's an issue with that particular car and adaptive AI.
    I'll try to keep that in mind and test around with it when I'm back home and have a little time. You could try with a different car and see if that yields different results. But if there's an issue with the McLaren, then I should experience it too.

What I usually do is quite simple. If I want to use the adaptive AI of a class I haven't used before (or if I want/have to start with a new adaptation file) I pick my favourite car of that class, choose a track I want to drive on. I start one race just to see whether the default AI is faster or slower than me (yea I know, but hey, it works). Then I do 2-3, rarely 4 short races (8 or 15 minutes) with the same car on the same track (just race, no practice or quali) and put myself in 1st position in case they are slower and in last place in case they are faster. That way I can do consistent laptimes without being disturbed by them.
    That's it. In most cases they were more or less on par with me after the 2nd or 3rd race. There were I think 1 or 2 occasions when it took more races.

My default race settings are: Get Real, standing start, slow down penalty, everything else (except practice and quali) on.

• Like Like x 1
    Zuletzt bearbeitet: 28. März 2016
  2. Mich Angel

Mich Angel Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +216 / 0 / -0
    You can disagree all you want, fact is are you behind and crash in to someone in front of you, then you are responsible for the crash there is no situation where it is not so period!
    And if you do not hold your line and someone even AI take advantage of that, it is still your driving that cause any entanglement if it happened because you don't recognise a that the driver have the line and leave space for him.
    You can blame AI all you want but failing to recognize your own fault in your driving in this videos you provided cannot change the fact, the incidents are caused by your driving period!

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  3. Mich Angel

Ratings:
    +216 / 0 / -0
    I am sorry if you disagree or don't like my comments, I do not make them to hurt you or in anyway call you a bad driver, I am just stating the fact from what I see and it has nothing to do with you personally as a person just so you know ok!
    I do not rose petal things to make you feel good I say straight out honest what I think and see and in this case it is clear even if you do not see it. ;)

4. c3lix

c3lix Active Member

Ratings:
    +43 / 0 / -0
    Ups I didn't want to dislike only disagree. My bad :p all ok.

• Winner Winner x 1
  5. kamackeris

kamackeris Active Member

Ratings:
    +31 / 0 / -0
    The problem is for me to avoid a crash similar to the one in the video I have to consciously brake earlier than I would in for example rf2 and ams as I can't brake as efficiently as the ai. I can brake as efficiently as the ai in other sims. So IMO something is amiss with ai braking ability. And it is this reason alone I have not loaded up rre this calender year. I hope it is sorted as I desperately want to run the dtm's and the wtcc cars

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. Mich Angel

Ratings:
    +216 / 0 / -0
    @kamackeris Try to run the AI on 101% or higher and things are quite different then, but yes they do need to look after the AI cornering techniques, how they enter and exit a curve that is where I think the problem is not just the breaking.
    Since knowing how they break I always aim to be behind slightly to the left or right so I can slide past the most convenient side to over take in a AI breakzone but other time I just hold of litle before a corner and take em on the exit if it is possible..
    So it is mostly up to my driving if I crash or not and adapting to other drivers driving is part of a race drivers need to know 101. ;)

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. shardshunt

shardshunt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +490 / 0 / -0
    video 1,the ai are better at breaking then humans from what i have found this should be adressed, video 2 a very common mistake in Motorsport does happen somtimes with ai would be nice if it didnt but not a huge issue in my eyes, video 3 entirely the players mistake.

stop trying to find reasons why the ai are so good at breaking people it is an issue that has been around since rfactor 1. one thing i have found helps is to turn off tire ware as at the start of the race. the ai are way to good on the breaks on cold and worn tires.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. c3lix

c3lix Active Member

Ratings:
    +43 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for your comment. I only want to show some flaws of the Ai. I feel it's talked about a lot, but nobody cared to make a video about it. So it was only opinions vs opinions. I am not looking for an excuse what happened in 3. I also don't want to make the game worse or anything. My intention is to give out information to improve the Ai. As I said so many times, please keep in mind, it's still an Ai and not a real player and it's still a game. The Ai should be coded in a way where it trys to avoid crashes instead of causing crashes. In a real player vs player scenario I am 100% on your side but I also think that would have never happened because it was only caused by the Ai in front of me, braking too hard again and lets be honest no real player or race driver would accelerate into another car. The Ai was in 1st gear in the last corner, it almost stand still. Maybe I'll upload the video from the cockpit view and you will understand why I had to move like this.

You know how it is, it's basically this, that's all we see in these cars with the right FOV and a single Monitor. It's not only about what is right or wrong. A game is still a game and it's not only me that speaks about this problems. If the game wants to become more popular it needs a multiplayer like iRacing or a solid Ai mode, where people can have fun, hard fights against a good Ai but without the fear to restart 10 times because you don't play the game for years and the Ai is different in movement as the player and you have to adapt to the Ai, but you can't because they have unhuman driving skills and they also don't adapt to your human skills or at least have safety measure to avoid crashes.
    https://i.ytimg.com/vi/_KYsOHau4DE/maxresdefault.jpg

Zuletzt bearbeitet: 28. März 2016
  9. c3lix

c3lix Active Member

Ratings:
    +43 / 0 / -0
    I started fresh with a new Ai file and it seems that it works now. I had some good fights. This time I only raced on Zandvoor. Only races, no qualify, 8min,like you said. I think the problem was that before I used Brands Hatch and there I laped the Ai twice in the first race. Maybe that caused calculation issues.

I remember that as I first raced on Brands Hatch with 110% Ai, the Ai was way too slow. Could be a general problem with the Ai level on this track.

• Informative Informative x 1
  10. n01sname

n01sname Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +956 / 0 / -0
    I only can add what I always say about it:
    The better I become the less I have issues with the AI - or better said: I learned to respond to the few flaws the AI has through experience and skill. And from my POV it's just a matter of practicing, practicing, practicing and challenging yourself by racing online against all kind of drivers - specially against those who are (or had been) much faster than me...

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. Geist

Geist New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I think what most people don't take into account is that when there is a line of cars in front of you you will have to brake earlier which the AI is doing, as for the late braking AI they are just trying to out brake you deep in the corner, it adds to the game for me because you will sometimes see them mess up and crash. It seems like this is one of the few games out there where the AI actually has problems.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. digitizer

digitizer Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +117 / 0 / -0
    Can someone explain what is mean AI 110% ? They going faster then can ? Now i use adaptive AI, but want to try with max %. But i can't understand how it can be more then 100%

13. Rik Fast

Rik Fast Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +120 / 0 / -0
    I just an arbitrary scale, and the following you didn't ask but i mentioned it anyway. AI can not be scaled to real drivers. Even you as player can not be scaled to real drivers because of the big difference between having a life threatening occupation and sittings in a house in front of some screens.

AI 100% could be the equivalent of a good solid competition in a racecar in it's basic settings. An achievable goal for the most of us. Beyond that you enter the territory of fierce competition. But RR is not consistent in those AI levels and if you don't believe me just try DTM 2013 on a track like hockenheim, the AI can drive laps in a speed your socks gone be over your ears in no time. :D

So just a scale, could also be 60% to 100%, and would still be the same.

• Like Like x 1
  14. digitizer

digitizer Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +117 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for explanation. I just want to try not AI adopt my lap times, but me try to going faster with stronger AI. Of course its not replace PvP races, but maybe help me have more practic to race safetly

15. Christian G

Ratings:
    +2.411 / 0 / -0
    When using adaptive AI there is a slight spread in the AI drivers performance, so some of them will always be faster than you and you will need to improve to pass them (after which moment the AI will adapt again and you'll have a new challenge).

And if you want the toughest challenge, adaptive AI is the only true option, because afaik it is not capped like the predefined values. Manually you can only set a max AI strength of 120 but I think adaptive AI doesn't have this limit, so it can reach levels of above 120.

• Like Like x 1
    Zuletzt bearbeitet: 30. März 2016
  16. c3lix

c3lix Active Member

Ratings:
    +43 / 0 / -0
    Oh well... after the update it just got worse IMO. Nordschleife is unplayable with Ai. They spin out at the same corners, and they litter up, go slow, crash me from behind (after the start), don't let me pass even tho I am clearly faster, they are also all over the road and make no space at all. Right after the start the Ai is ... abysmal. Doesn't matter if I do standing starts or rolling starts.
    Wasn't that tested at all? Before the patch the Ai didn't spin out as much as they do now and please why are they so aggressiv?

I like new content but it makes me, and please excuse me for saying it, angry, if I can't have fun with it.

Today, I really, and I mean I really took it slow and with caution. I hadn't a single chance to overtake the Ai. If I hadn't brake very hard very often they would just send me off the track. I had not a single situation where the Ai pushed back and let me pass.
    *sigh* Maybe give us an aggressiv menu where we can change the Ai's mood to kill or not kill us. With that, everyone would be happy.

• Agree Agree x 3
    Zuletzt bearbeitet: 3. April 2016
  17. kamackeris

kamackeris Active Member

Ratings:
    +31 / 0 / -0
    Exactly what I have seen with my brief time with it before turning it off in frustration. The first corners at spa and nurburgring when I tried it came to a halt. Back to ams till it gets sorted!

18. Christian G

Ratings:
    +2.411 / 0 / -0
    Which class are you talking about?
    I (and several other guys) been testing DTM '92, GTO, GTR3 and I had very close and intense races against those. Not saying they are perfect, definitely need more refinement, but when you say things like "they don't let me pass/make space" then I'm not sure what you're looking for tbh. An AI that attempts to simulate real drivers (who battle for position and don't just let everybody pass, especially on a tight track as Nordschleife) or an AI that tries to avoid the player and just serves as overtaking targets.

19. c3lix

c3lix Active Member

Ratings:
    +43 / 0 / -0
    GT3 Nordschleife. Don't get me wrong I don't want that they open huge spaces for me but they just drive in the middle of the road on long straights with no possibility to overtake and if you manage to get on the Ai's side, they act like your are not there and push into your side. There is only the last super long straight before the start/finish line where you can safely overtake. You also should test Nordschleife more, its hilarious how often they spin out there, I am ok if they start spinning out on the 2nd lap but they shouldn't spin out in the very first lap, 400 meters after start and cause a huge trainweck. I tested VLN and nord normal.

I also had a very intense 45min race today against the adaptive Ai on VLN. But that was only because I managed to avoid 2 Ai spins, mostly I crash with full speed into them, because there is no yellow flag system that warns me.

20. c3lix

c3lix Active Member

Ratings:
    +43 / 0 / -0
    Okay I have to say... something good about the Ai, after todays races, the Ai is better than randoms on a multiplayer server, some of these people are even worse haha. :eek:

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1