Restart race because of crashing Ai

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by c3lix, Mar 26, 2016.

1. c3lix

c3lix Active Member

Ratings:
    +43 / 0 / -0
    I wonder how often do you restart your races because of the Ai.
    I have to restart often because the Ai is too weak or too strong and not balanced over all the tracks. Sometimes they brake way too late, like impossible and unreal late, I would call it cheating, because it's impossible to brake like they do. Other times they brake way too early and you are totally not ready for such an early brake.
    But they also sometimes don't even care and run you over. Long time I was ok with that and tried to deal with it.
    It's hard for me to find the right settings, it's either they run me over or they are too weak.
    I really would like to race against real people but every time I check the servers there are like 30 people online and not a single GT3 server.
    Why I write this, I had to restart like 15 times on Paul Ricard A1 to get a crash free first lap against 110% AI.

The point is, how often do you restart your game because of that? Am I the only one with such problems?

2. Christian G

Christian G Topological Agitator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +2,411 / 0 / -0
    I sometimes have to reset, but most of the time it's ok. But I tend to be very conservative during lap 1, just like irl, especially when I'm in the middle of the field or at the back. All sorts of things can happen up front and you won't be able to see what happens a few cars ahead, so you have to be ready to brake. Just like in rl, if you crash into someone's back, most of the time it's your fault. ;)

My personal opinion about AI braking, and I know many will disagree, is that they don't exactly cheat but they brake more or less perfectly, meaning that they don't lock them up and use the optimal brake pressure to maximize deceleration.
    Bearing that in mind has made racing the AI quite good for me.

That being said, AI is constantly being worked on, so I'm quite positive we'll see further improvements in the future.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  3. mr_belowski

mr_belowski Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +1,307 / 0 / -0
    I find the AI braking isn't quite 'right'. They brake later and harder than I can, but I'm able to carry more speed into the corner. It's not enough to ruin the racing but it is noticeable. So once again Christian, you're wrong and no body likes you ;)

But apart from that I agree with Christian (even though I hate myself for saying it) - treat them like online racers and take lots of care, and it's all the more exciting

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
  4. nate

nate Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +875 / 0 / -0
    Yeah, i think this is a good take away. If you are restarting the race 15 times to get past lap 1, you are doing something wrong. Probably being too aggressive (since you are running into the back of them when braking), or trying to do too much on the 1st lap.

The AI doesnt like having lots of things directly near it since it wants to be on the racing line... and with a lot of pressure all around, things may go wrong.

You have to respect the AI like you would a person, and make your moves in a precise fashion for the best success. The AI may shut the door on your move to the inside... but that happens in real life, and you have to cope and figure out another way past.

The AI in this game, like every other racing game, has certain characteristics regarding their behavior. Some corners of certain tracks they will brake a tad early, others they can brake a bit late. This is just something to become aware of as you race them more and once you generally know that, you can get some solid races in :)

• Like Like x 1
  5. Christian G

Ratings:
    +2,411 / 0 / -0
    Oh well, at least the AI seems to like me. ;)

But on that note, what's important too I think is that you have to race against AI that you are on par with. If they are much stronger/faster or much weaker/slower than you, that will raise the chance of things going wrong.
    Here's where I find adaptive AI has it's biggest advantage. Once they adapted to your performance they will be much more predictable.

6. .OG Isaac

.OG Isaac Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +173 / 0 / -0
    I restart because of me.

Against AI I tend to get greedy and think I can divebomb into 130R...

• Funny Funny x 1
  7. c3lix

c3lix Active Member

Ratings:
    +43 / 0 / -0
    Well I know, I myself feel kinda bad for it. I mean I really feel bad about it but it's only on some tracks not on all. On a couple of tracks I don't have any problems but on Paul Ricard Layout A1 I noticed it.
    I think, I am not a bad driver, in AC I had some recorded laptime WR's in the GT3 class. But I know there are a lot lot better drivers than me out there.

I also reduce the grid to around 16 cars. The more cars I add the more carnage happens. Sometimes I am super happy with the Ai and sometimes I would like to throw my wheel out of the window. On zandvoort I have the best Ai battles. Spa is also OK if you survive corner one. On Monza they crash me in corner one because it's so slow. On Bathurst it's ok.
    Overall the Ai has potential to be the best one in a racing sim, but on some tracks it's frustrating.

Maybe I should give the adaptive Ai a try.

• Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2016
  8. nate

nate Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +875 / 0 / -0
    Curious where you are starting on the grid when you race. I know that if you generally start from the back without doing any qualifying, there are bigger chances of issues than if you qualify into 8th place out of 24 for example. Starting from the front is generally a lot easier since there are less cars in front of you to have accidents or whatever else.

Perhaps qualify onto the start grid if you dont already do that. :)

9. c3lix

c3lix Active Member

Ratings:
    +43 / 0 / -0
    If I do championship I do qualify. Sometimes I just want to have a quick race, then I put myself at a random start position.

10. kamackeris

kamackeris Active Member

Ratings:
    +31 / 0 / -0
    i really want to like RRE but it this one single thing that annoys me the most, the braking ability of the AI drivers. i really hope this is looked at. when you are running bumper to bumper with the AI i shouldn't have to think about braking earlier than the AI for fear of driving into the back of them

• Agree Agree x 4
  11. Christian G

Ratings:
    +2,411 / 0 / -0
    I don't know if you've got a drivers (and/or racing) license or not, so I hope in either case you don't take offense, but if you drive bumper to bumper irl and you wait with your braking until you see the brake lights of the car in front of you (a.k.a. the opponent), you will crash into that car, inevitably.

Say you are following an opponent at a relatively save distance of 10 metres (2 car lenghts) and a relatively low velocity of 150 kph (=41.67 m/s).
    Here's (a simple but more or less accurate) formula for the total stopping distance:
    [​IMG]
    v is your velocity, t is time, µ is the friction coefficient and g is Earth's gravity.
    Let's assume both your cars are exactly equal so the braking distance Dbraking is the same for both your cars and therefore can be ignored.
    What we're interested in is Dp-r, which is the perception-reaction distance. An average person has a perception time of 0.1 seconds and a reaction time of 0.7 seconds, so tp-r would equal 0.8 seconds.
    Times that with your velocity of 41.67 m/s and you get 33.33 metres.

Remember that you are 10 metres behind that car, so if you brake at the instant you see and react to the brake lights on the car in front of you, you will stop 23.33 metres after that car does, which equals you braking in that car.

Even if we assume you're a very gifted, well trained and skilled individual and your perception-reaction time is 0.4 seconds, your Dp-r will be 16.67 metres, so you will still fall short (or long) by 6.67 metres, or in other words crash into your opponent.

And all this is leaving aside the latency/delay that lies inside the PC, from it making the calculation to sending the info to the display and you sending your input back into the system.

So, like in real life, if you're close to the car in front of you and you wait till you see the brake lights, the next thing you'll see is the inside of that cars trunk.

You have to brake before you see the other car braking. Especially if we're talking about going bumber to bumper at above 200 kph. Everybody who says otherwise is a charlatan and a blasphemer. ;)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2016
  12. marshma11ow8

marshma11ow8 Member

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    I mostly do GT3s at Bathurst on 120 cause the pace is real
    But the Ai are so slow at the dipper and Forrest elbow.
    I looked in the replays and they use 1st gear?!??!?
    It's painful but like in this situation you learn and adapt to the Ai's quirks

13. kamackeris

kamackeris Active Member

Ratings:
    +31 / 0 / -0
    OK good point... Maybe I made mine wrong but what I meant to mean was that if I drive like I do in AMS in for example the Brazilian stock cars I find I can brake as efficiently as the ai cars and not bang into them whereas in my experience with rre I have to consciously brake earlier than I would normally to avoid this.... Maybe it's me and my poor braking but in other sims I don't seem to have this problem.

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. James Cook

James Cook Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,013 / 0 / -0
    It's not just you @kamackeris.

R3E is the only sim that gives me this problem. There's something not quite right with how the AI brakes.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. Tom Shane

Tom Shane Active Member

Ratings:
    +30 / 0 / -0
    Maybe I didn't get it right, in that case I'm sorry, but if you have longer braking distance than the AI and you stick to your usual braking points, how can you bump into them when they start braking a bit later? So brake as you normally would and don't try to brake as the AI does.

16. James Cook

Ratings:
    +1,013 / 0 / -0
  17. kamackeris

kamackeris Active Member

Ratings:
    +31 / 0 / -0
    If the ai has a certain stopping distance then I too should the same. I shouldn't have to adjust...That's my point

18. DonArturo

DonArturo Active Member

Ratings:
    +36 / 0 / -0
    afaik your braking distance in real life will also be a bit longer when driving behind another car, because of drag and such aerodynamic alchemy. (Correct me if I´m wrong here please)
    Note that I do think the AI-Braking is off too, but I think at least part of the in-trunk-experiences we have is explainable by this.

• Like Like x 1
  19. James Cook

Ratings:
    +1,013 / 0 / -0
    Other sims almost certainly model this aerodynamic effect too i.e. loss of downforce in slipstream.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. DonArturo

DonArturo Active Member

Ratings:
    +36 / 0 / -0
    yeah that´s true of course... hmmmm