A Porsche 911 GT3 lover needs help in R3E

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by nedimmb, Jan 19, 2019.

1. nedimmb

nedimmb Member

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    I do really love Raceroom racing experience and the class GT3. Thanks to this game I could really drive and enjoy this amazing cars that have one of the best sound designs I have ever heard. But despite this game being so awesome, there is one drawback I cant get to grips with: The Porsche 911 GT3 and the "cup car" are understeering all the time. I can never get a good pace with the car, the AIs have much better handling compared to when I drive the Porsche. No matter if I put rear-brake bias it still understeers all the time. Also the other GT3 cars dont have that same issue even if the brake-bias is at 50% on both sides. Do you know any way to get better handling into the Porsche 911 GT3? Are you also struggling with understeer? Please write down what you have gone through with this beautiful car.
    Sorry for my english because I'm from Sweden. Kind regards

2. ravey1981

ravey1981 Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +873 / 0 / -0
    It's a Porsche 911. They need to be driven differently. Keep weight on the front wheels by braking all the way to the apex, if you try and get on the power or lift off the brakes before the apex you will understeer. Soften front end and increase rear bump (compression) damping will help also.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. FlakNine

FlakNine Member

Ratings:
    +15 / 0 / -0
    I've also been struggling with understeer in the 911 like @nedimmb and was wondering if the 911 required a different approach. Thanks @ravey1981 I'm gonna keep your braking suggestion in mind as I reckon that's what I was doing wrong.

4. Turtle Power

Turtle Power Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +302 / 0 / -0
    It's gold in comparison to what it used to be a half year ago. They did lots of work and improved it greatly. There is a bunch of information coming through the steering wheel that tells you what the car is doing, its stiff and it feels great (direct drive here). In regards to understeer, lots of people are saying almost the same as in real life. I don't know to be honest and if this is true... WTF mate?????. I am also struggling with it and it might be one of those things where we need to put up with the challenge.

5. ravey1981

Ratings:
    +873 / 0 / -0
    It's just a characteristic of the rear engined Porsche 911. Every car has strengths and weaknesses. The understeer into corners is balanced by excellent traction out of them. You can really nail the throttle hard. Slow in fast out is a driving style that gets talked about quite a lot but for these cars it really holds true....

Go and spend a couple of hours with the 934 and the cupcar becomes easy to drive. You have to stop expecting them to be like any other GT3 car though as they just aren't. I love them.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. FlakNine

FlakNine Member

Ratings:
    +15 / 0 / -0
    I tweaked the setup the other night and put in some practice - both of which helped and it's slowly coming to me but there's still room for improvement! I'm occasionally being too impatient getting back on the throttle, so need to develop some better habits for this car!
    What TC presets are people typically running in the 911 GT3? Obviously this may vary with tracks but I'm just after a rough idea.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2019
  7. Rodent

Rodent Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +323 / 0 / -0
    One thing I struggle with in most Porsches is my bad habit of feeding in a hint of throttle mid corner to balance the car/look for grip. Guess I think I'm Senna but don't have the skill to back it up. :p This is a bad habit in general but in the Porsche in particular it induces a bunch on understeer. They generally take me a while to get into the groove with compared to their front and mid engined competitors.

Don't be me, stay of that throttle until you're ready to pounce. ;)

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. ravey1981

Ratings:
    +873 / 0 / -0
    I don't drive the GT3 version much but with all GT3 cars you can run either zero or very low TC (like 5%) if there's a dodgy hairpin to get out of for example. Takes a bit more throttle control but is faster. TC just wastes power.

There is an update coming for all GT3 cars soon which may make car setup more realistic.

9. FlakNine

FlakNine Member

Ratings:
    +15 / 0 / -0
    Glad you said that, as I thought that may be the case but it only occurred to me right at the end of my last practice stint, the car just seemed to be bogging down out of corners as I'd been running with TC around 20% (I think) - I thought it would help since it is used in GT3 racing but that doesn't seem to be the case (hopefully that upcoming update will help). I only had time for a handful more laps with it dialled down low but the car felt much more alive and responsive. Looking forward to getting back out there for some more practice tonight!

10. Thomas Jansen

Thomas Jansen KW Studios Developer Beta tester

Ratings:
    +563 / 0 / -0
    The RUF GT2 is currently much closer to how the Porsche GT3R should handle and one of my favourite cars in the game. While I hate the Porsche GT3R the way it is atm :D Whenever GT3 gets updated to the same standard physics it will probably handle quite close to the RUF GT2 so I would highly recommend giving that a try instead!

11. FlakNine

FlakNine Member

Ratings:
    +15 / 0 / -0
    Yes I got on better with the RUF GT2, however I'm committed/stuck with my GT3 choice for the next few weeks in our GT3 league, so I've got to make it work somehow!:)

12. Thomas Jansen

Ratings:
    +563 / 0 / -0
    The 911 GT3 Cup is also an amazing car, very underrated as people write it off for handling like shit when it is really the driver that is the problem :p

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. FlakNine

FlakNine Member

Ratings:
    +15 / 0 / -0
    No argument from me on this!

14. Thomas Jansen

Ratings:
    +563 / 0 / -0
    hehe :) As some people have suggested already you really cannot drive it like a GT3 car. For one there almost no downforce in comparison, but the most important aspect is that the car is extremely stiff. This means it almost lifts its inside wheel off the ground the moment you turn a tiny bit. So braking has to be done almost exclusively in a straight line, with very rearward bias.

15. fufsgfen

fufsgfen Active Member

Ratings:
    +29 / 0 / -0
    I wonder if today his view about Raceroom would be different, but nevertheless, guy has experience of driving real Porsche and shares some bits of how real car handles:

16. Thomas Jansen

Ratings:
    +563 / 0 / -0
    It has definitely improved in terms of tires/chassis feel since then, braking is still as punishing as before :D

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. fufsgfen

fufsgfen Active Member

Ratings:
    +29 / 0 / -0
    Well, it is a hammer that is thrown handle first, not the easiest, but perhaps most rewarding when one gets it right? :)

• Like Like x 1
  18. Thomas Jansen

Ratings:
    +563 / 0 / -0
    exactly ;)

19. Turtle Power

Turtle Power Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +302 / 0 / -0
    I wonder if this video review was based on old or newer update? The new update is much better.

20. fufsgfen

fufsgfen Active Member

Ratings:
    +29 / 0 / -0
    That was published at early 2018, not sure when newer update came, but I would guess that is based on old one.