Adaptive AI...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by racinjoe013, Jan 1, 2020.

1. anno900

anno900 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +47 / 0 / -0
    Fully disagree with that. I have situations in every race where the AI clearly shows that they know that I'm there. And yes, sometime in side by side they are aggressive, but that is what they should be.

• Agree Agree x 3
  2. MattStone

MattStone Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +169 / 0 / -0
    That's certainly not my experience; they used to be but the last two updates have pretty much completely fixed that for me. I generally race GT's and find the AI to be fantastic, except they seem to hold each other up a lot on some tighter tracks.

My only suggestion is maybe you have the AI set to high or something; maybe your racecraft skills need some improving and don't forget CrewCheif; that is a must.

Start by racing with only 10 AI, find a strength level where qualifying puts you near the back of the field and treat the AI with respect, don't divebomb them; give them the same room as you expect them to give you, don't do sudden defensive blocks at the last minute etc etc. Respect them and they will respect you.

This game has the best AI by far of any of the other titles I've played.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Funny Funny x 1
  3. nickh158

nickh158 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +69 / 0 / -0
    Adaptive ai, Monza. Apologies for the pop-in, but I only have 20 visible cars due to framerate. Admittedly this is extreme as there were 35 cars, but it`s just the same with 15 or 20.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  4. Andi Goodwin

Andi Goodwin Moderator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +791 / 0 / -0
    this is because a car has spun, off track so a yellow is thrown , this area being a bottle neck then makes it much worse than if it happened in another place on track

Andi

5. nickh158

Ratings:
    +69 / 0 / -0
    The problem is that this happens every lap until the pack spreads out. Obviously with fewer cars it`s not as bad.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Andi Goodwin

Andi Goodwin Moderator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +791 / 0 / -0
    mmm i run fixed ai , and i dont seem to have this issue , yes it happens some times but not as often as you describe , i will check

Andi

7. MattStone

MattStone Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +169 / 0 / -0
    Happens almost 2/3 laps for me with the Porsche 911 gt3 class
    They either completely loose it or get tail happy slowing the pack right down :(

8. racinjoe013

racinjoe013 New Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    I only own GT3 and DTM 2016 right now. I spent most of my vrp on tracks and just bought a couple of car packs. Both classes give me trouble with being bounced around.

As for percentage, depends on the track. What I have been doing is spending lots of practice time on a track to get a feel for my average lap times and to work on setups. Then I run races at different ai percentages starting in the back and let the ai race for 8-10 laps to see what times they run at different percentages. Once I find a percentage where the ai lap times for the middle of the pack is in line with my average lap times, I use that percentage. I like averaging what the middle guys average so I don't have an easy time. I like to feel like I have to run better than my abilitiy to get a win. My ego doesn't need to win every race. I can have just as much fun battling for 25th place as I can battling for a win.

9. anno900

anno900 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +47 / 0 / -0
    My thoughts on that video and posts after that:
    1. AI spins a little too often (as I already posted somewhere else)
    2. (more of a question) does fixed AI and AAI differ? Andi will check. I run fixed AI and have slightly too many spins of AI in "mid-fast" corners (3rd/4th gear)
    3. In that Video: If you watch such a situation in real life racing. The other drivers would simply drive around that pile up in front of them, e.g. taking the longer way around on the right hand side. AI does not "know" that way maybe due to missing waypoints. I think that is a general issue with the behaviour of the AI if there is a slow/spinning car in front of them. They are aware that another car is there but somehow they have not enough "routes" to drive around that pile up. But I also think that this is quite to program to get an AI that acts "human" at pile ups. For "normal racing without biggeer incidents" the AI in R3E is very very good, the best on the market by far.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. R.Noctua

R.Noctua Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +99 / 0 / -0

I agree.
    I think dev can teach AI to go faster at "problem" points. I noticed that in RF2, they're good at it, so in RRE, that's possible, too.

11. CheerfullyInsane

CheerfullyInsane Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +402 / 0 / -0
    Nope, it's the same.
    All the AAI does is pick a specific difficulty based on your previous performance.

12. Tyger

Tyger Member

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0

You might find this of interest. Here i explore the AI tactics at Zolder

• Like Like x 1
  13. nickh158

Ratings:
    +69 / 0 / -0
    Other places this happens a lot:
    Hairpin at Suzuka, turn 3 at Bathurst.
    Also the ai seem to have remarkable brakes, which means getting rammed quite often.
    This is less of a problem if you have fewer (15 or less) ai cars.
    My problem is that I`m a really slow driver, usually 5 seconds or so off the pace online, so ai is the only way for me to get a decent race.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Skev

Skev Member

Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0
    I've just started my first championship using adaptive AI (had previously done a couple in different cars with fixed AI) and whilst I've read about training the AI, will it just adapt as I play my way through the season, without training?

15. morsify

morsify Active Member

Ratings:
    +36 / 0 / -0
    Yes, it will, others here will be able to give more accurate information, but if I remember right, if you do races of 10 laps or more, you should find the AI eventually adapting to give you a tough race.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Lixma

Lixma Honorary QA

Ratings:
    +174 / 0 / -0
    +1000
    Hockenheim is a nightmare.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Olaf Hülse

Olaf Hülse Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +505 / 0 / -0