Anyone jumped on the GTX 1080 bandwagon yet?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Sayjimwoo, May 27, 2016.

1. Jisonga

Jisonga Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +50 / 0 / -0
    Do you know what it never crossed my mind about what DX version the title uses as to whether it will be able to take advantage of the new nivida card features.

It will be a real shame if older DX titles miss out but it kind of makes sense that this new technology would be designed around the newer version of DX and all that it offers.

I may just hold off and take a look at how these new cards perform and whether or not SMP is a feature that gets adopted or not in sim racing titles old and new.

Jason.

2. James Cook

James Cook Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,013 / 0 / -0
    Nvidia give themselves a monopoly at the high-end simply by being the first to market, with this generation being no different. So whether AMD has an answer to the 1080/70 or not is kind of academic. It's going to be too late to put a dent in Nvidia.

That's before we talk about Nvidia's already dominant market share and better perception/reputation among PC gamers for a number of reasons.

3. pixeljetstream

pixeljetstream Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +412 / 0 / -0
    If the engine was on openGL, the age wouldn't matter, as openGL has first class support for vendor extensions (as does Vulkan). But for DX custom features are a bit of a backdoor hack (which Intel, AMD and Nvidia do similarly), it's not so easy to provide it for all versions, as it builds upon other features which the old versions also lack.

4. Jisonga

Jisonga Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +50 / 0 / -0
    pcper.com have got a 1070 review up on YouTube -

Jason.

5. pixeljetstream

Ratings:
    +412 / 0 / -0
  6. pixeljetstream

Ratings:
    +412 / 0 / -0
    http://www.3dcenter.org/artikel/launch-analyse-nvidia-geforce-gtx-1070

can highly recommend 3dcenter.org, even if you are not German speaking, the "stats" should be readable ;)

Their "FullHD Perf.Index" and "4K Perf.Index" is pretty nice. Basically they gather a lot of benchmarks from other websites and compute averages from that, which gives a pretty good metric for overall score.

7. sbtm

sbtm Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +591 / 0 / -0
    Just bought a new PSU to be prepared for the future. The "Be quiet! Dark Power Pro 11 CM 80+ Platinum 550W" should arrive tomorrow. I'm a bit excited. My old PSU (pure power L8 530W from be quiet!) will go into the "piggy bank" for my girlfriend's future PC as well as my current gtx 970 when I buy the 1080 in July.

8. Dan84

Dan84 Active Member

Ratings:
    +28 / 0 / -0
    Picked up my GTX1080 today. Along with the Predator X34A.

I've coming from a GTX970 and the graphical difference alone is outstanding. I havent experienced anything like it -

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 3
  9. Rodger Davies

Rodger Davies Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +594 / 0 / -0
    Urgh, how in this day and age are NVidia justifying charging UK customers around 40% more than US ones for the exact same product? I need a new machine and was planning on the 1070 but might wait a little bit.

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. F19_CoNa

F19_CoNa Member

Ratings:
    +24 / 0 / -0
    Hoping to see SMP implemented.

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. Thomas Friedrich

Thomas Friedrich Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +192 / 0 / -0
    This... and the extra ressources for VR. The 1080 will be definitely the next GPU for my triples and Rift!

• Like Like x 1
  12. higsy

higsy Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +123 / 0 / -0
    Multi projection will depend on support from developers , hopefully s3 will chime in if they plan on implementation before many of us take the plung. It's either 1080 or 980ti for me depending on what is decided.

13. MrTay.

MrTay. Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +58 / 0 / -0
    I bought three hoping to do a straight swap for the 980's.
    How disappointed was i this morning when i woke up to find there will be no enthusiast key released because although
    nVidia promised they've completely withdrawn it. ( :mad: )
    Nevermind, however.
    Where as before i was running RR on medium settings quite happily it now runs everything totally maxed on the three 4K screens, using 2 in SLi and the "spare" ( :mad: ) one for physx
    To sum up, i'm well happy with Pascal. I do believe it will have a long life with alot of potential and anything that makes my experience of RR greater even better.
    I'd easily recommend one. (or two but not three)

14. Dan84

Dan84 Active Member

Ratings:
    +28 / 0 / -0
    Mr
    What NVIDIA settings would you recommend for someone using just one screen?

15. ElNino

ElNino Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +475 / 0 / -0
    Sounds like a good plan to me.. As far as bang for buck upgrades, it's hard to beat going to triples - since you already have the GPU it can be done for around $200 with TV's so cheap.

I recently got the 980ti going from a 290x, so I really need to sit tight on that - besides ETS2 cities, which are notoriously un-optmized, i have no need for more power if i'm honest. Heck if not for ETS/ATS the 290x was plenty

16. Sascha Reynders

Sascha Reynders Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +109 / 0 / -0
    With the prices the way they are now on the European market (on average $600 for a GTX 1070 and $900 or more for the 1080, with the Founders Editions being the cheaper cards available) the GTX 1080 is way out of my league... Still, I couldn't resist and ordered a GigaByte GTX 1070 G1 Gaming today :) if all goes well, I should have it by the end of next week. Can't wait to find out how it performs compared to my GTX 970 G1.

• Like Like x 1
  17. testdriver69

testdriver69 Member

Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0
    so simultaneous multi-projection only works when it is implemented in the game ?
    is this a dx12 feature ?
    i didn't get this info from the video
    would be cool to have cars beside you on triples that don't look like they are too close to a black hole :D

18. higsy

higsy Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +123 / 0 / -0
    Not sure if it's a dx12 thing or not but it is something the developers have to implement in the game. I asked early on in the thread if this was going to be done at some point with no response. :(

19. pixeljetstream

Ratings:
    +412 / 0 / -0
    It's not a dx12 feature, we have extensions that developers can make use of in multiple apis (typically dx11 and openGL).

• Like Like x 1
  20. higsy

higsy Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +123 / 0 / -0
    Is this a relatively easy thing for them to do ? I certainly hope they do as i'm on the fence between the 1080 and 980ti. Raceroom is my primary game as well.