Are you here to race or not?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by GooseCreature, Jul 22, 2015.

?

Should lobby be disabled for length of race?

1. Yes

43.3%
  2. No

50.0%
  3. Boo Hoo

6.7%
  1. ozcanuck55

ozcanuck55 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +145 / 0 / -0
    I'm with the positive points idea for top 10 finishers or similar ( no negative points). I'd like to get some points for showing up and if it added up to Vrp or some other perk, even better. I think that would build up participation. I get excited when I see Championship points in my profile, so I'm easily pleased.

• Like Like x 1
  2. shardshunt

shardshunt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +490 / 0 / -0
    and it can reset in seasons maybe even have prizes at the end(even just badges for your profile)...
    oh steam cards for the car you raced, so when you finish a season and you spent x hours in the skyline (only counts valid laps and finished races) you get a skyline card.

I like it good idea

• Like Like x 2
  3. The Angry Hamster

The Angry Hamster Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +148 / 0 / -0
    I've never liked rewarding only top finishes. I'm a MUCH bigger fan of ELO systems where your 'reward' is all in-line with where the game (elo system) expects you to finish.

Example -
    I have a 'score' of 1000 with an 'assurance' of 90%. I am given a finishing 'target' of 5th out of 10. All people finish the race and I finish in 7th. The system would then adjust my rating along the lines of adjusting both how sure it is where I will finish, and my overall displayed score. So, assuming every one of the other drivers was 100 points above and below me respectively I would likely drop by around 10 points or so to 990 and my assurance would drop slightly as I did not hit the target the system thought I would hit.

Take the same example but I finish in 3rd instead of 5th. Similarly my score would go up by about 10, but my assurance would still drop by a similar margin.

Basically, a system like this will eventually place all racers in a fluid point 'line' where the 'best' driver who is both fast and consistent would be at the top. This system also allows for mobility, however, as if you suddenly figure something out and manage to make yourself consistently faster your assurance and score will both go up. You can read more in depth about elo systems here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elo_rating_system , as this was a VERY generalized and basic example, but I feel these systems do a much much much better job than just flat points for finishing positions.

• Informative Informative x 1
  4. XXVI Sol

XXVI Sol Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +104 / 0 / -0
    a definite no for me,punishment is never the answer,tho a colar that electrifies when leaving a race or ramming sounds nice:eek:
    an incentive to stay,like the ones heppsan mentioned, on the other hand makes sense

• Like Like x 1
  5. hariseldon

hariseldon Member

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0
    Hamster you just described irating ;)

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. le_poilu

le_poilu Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +278 / 0 / -0
  7. Tuborg

Tuborg Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +457 / 0 / -0
    Is it really a punishment to complete a race that you have chosen to attend, only because it probably not will end as expected?

There is always someone who ends up in last place .

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. m.bohlken

m.bohlken Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +988 / 0 / -0
    Really a difficult topic... An aspect nobody should forget is, that even R3E is a Racing-Sim it is still a Game. A Game is there to entertain the users. So everything that forces a user to stay in a game could annoy the user and maybe result in stop playing it.

IMO if something will be introduced, it shouldn't be more than a simple Ranking-System that incl. as one aspect a comparison of started and finished races. Maybe that Value could be incl. in Dedi-Server-Tool, so that an Admin can only allow reliable Users, but shouldn't be used in the RR-Servers.

9. shardshunt

shardshunt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +490 / 0 / -0
    I think the only problem is that you can go down this could hinder the motivation to race. people can set their own goals with a point system. someone slower can aim for a bronze badge were as a quicker guy can push for gold. then the season resets and you can set a higher goal or feel good showing your current badge.

10. Ty Duff

Ty Duff Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +54 / 0 / -0
    I much prefer to finish a race however sometimes when you finish one you continue to the next and it's not a track you are good enough on - the other day third race went to zandvort and i'm just a menace there so quit before the start.

11. GooseCreature

GooseCreature Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +670 / 0 / -0
    Well it looks as if the only hope is some sort of ladder system (leaderboard) with points for all placings in a race with penalties for not finishing and other misdemeanors. Be a very congested board for a while but would sort itself out in the end, could even be sorted by average of result against races after a set amount of races to stop the one race, one win top hoggers!
    All goes to show what a difficult job the Devs have, we're all using the same sim but all want different things from it! :fearscream:
    By the way Devs, need a hair pulling out Emoji, immediately, hope it's in next update, along with Audi R18, Nordschleife, Spa..................................................................................................................... :tonguewink:

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. machwebb

machwebb Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +224 / 0 / -0
    It's OPEN lobby servers guys.... It will always be the same.

"....Dinner mate..... "
    "hold on, I've just started a race, I have to finish otherwise I'll not get my badge...."

;)

Leagues, clubs or even official S3 servers you have to sign up for. Maybe with a few VRP on completion. Just 5 will do, 10 races, you have yourself a livery.

Open lobbies will always have quitters... Hell, I will quit if I have limited time and want to start another race.

• Like Like x 1
  13. The Angry Hamster

Ratings:
    +148 / 0 / -0
    Actually no. iRacing's iRating uses a weighted point system not an actual elo rating system. For iRating you get positive points if you finish in the top half, negative if you finish in the bottom half, slightly weighted by the 'strength of field' (average iRating of those in the race). The main issue with their system revolves around situations in which you may have a target finishing position of 17 out of 20 where you end up getting anything below 11th while still beating your target (12, 13, 14, 15, & 16) and still end up losing iRating. This is why I feel actual elo systems are overall more rewarding. In the exact same situation with an actual elo system you would go up in rating for finishing anywhere above your target. So even the slowest racers who still enjoy blasting around tracks may have a target position of 19 or 20 out of 20, but if they match or beat that rating they still see an improvement in their rating instead of constantly seeing it drop over and over again.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. mrSweSin

mrSweSin Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +83 / 0 / -0
    way not give one thats not finnich 5kg extra fore every 25% of time. And 20kg for a rammer. And if there will be a moore realistisk car damege then you are a wreck and can leave race whit out penaltys. NO SINGEL CRACHES it will be 2X penelty if deliverty crach to get out. I peronaly always try to finnich all the races and i usely do. exept for the ones that i feeels stupid and have messsed up fore someone els. sorry

• Funny Funny x 1
  15. Skybird

Skybird Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +803 / 0 / -0
    You cannot satisfyingly get beyond the inherent characteristics of public server racing that does not get formally moderated and sanctioned even between sessions.

Go unpublic then, drive with people only that you know.

Me, I have not even tried MP in R3E, and in AC do it only extremely rarely. Its not my interest. In AC, I do trackday setups only, means: Nordschleife exclusively, since these days they almost only set the Nord up for trackdays (=endless practicing). All race event-racing I do against the AI. The current AI deficits in AC - hopefully now being cured in the upcoming 1.2 release - were what led me to R3E. I am grateful for Sector3's ongoing engagement in AI tuning. I have had so many good experiences and situation with the AI in the past 3 months that I stopped counting them. Opposite to that, the vast majority of online race-attempts I tried in AC months ago, were negative and desillusionizing.

Offline racers still are by far the majority of users, that is why a good AI is so very important.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2015
  16. Rodger Davies

Rodger Davies Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +594 / 0 / -0
    Can't agree more with your sentiment @Skybird - the AI is class leading and I hope it continues to improve as the AI are the only opponents who fit my personal schedule.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  17. The Angry Hamster

Ratings:
    +148 / 0 / -0
    If the majority of clean racers swapped their opinions and went into public races then we would be the majority instead of the minority. This idea of "Public races are all bad therefore I will not participate" hurts all of us who want clean online racing. I've seen endless posts across many racing games where everyone decries public racing as the worst racing ever and that it's always just a crashfest, yet I have had some of the best racing in those public games. We really need to get past this idea that only crashers and bashers go into public rooms and start getting them full of clean racers instead of running away into locked servers all the time.

• Agree Agree x 4
  18. Why485

Why485 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +66 / 0 / -0
    While I can 100% understand where OP is coming from, this isn't the way to do it. Instead of harshly punishing players for leaving (some of which may have legitimate reasons), I would rather instead systems put in place to reward players, incentivize good play, and encourage people finishing races.

An Elo type system and ingame publicly visible rating, even if it's not actually used for anything, would be a good start. Give people points for finishing races and doing well, take them away if they quit after turn 1.

• Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2015
  19. SylverFyre

SylverFyre Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +78 / 0 / -0
    A system of multiplayer lobby points which heavily rewards finishing races, and also rewards clean racing and speed would be good. Maybe it could be a kind of non numeric score, averaged over the races you start, that showed some kind of medal, badge or something against you name while in multiplayer.

Penalising someone for not finishing a race, beyond it being as part of an average, is probably not going to work because real life intervenes with gaming for most of us, to varying degrees.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. heppsan

heppsan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,268 / 0 / -0
    Looking at your avatar picture we must have battled on an open server at Red Bull the other day? :)
    Agree to your post.
    But I must say, wreckers is the minority in Raceroom!
    [​IMG]

• Agree Agree x 1