Ban and kick feature

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by RealStriker, Mar 22, 2018.

1. zfeher0815

zfeher0815 New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    It just came to me today if there would be a Mac Address filter built in the system so whenever someone is unreliable so much just close out of the system with a button push. off course it is require someone in charge of the filter.

2. yoori

yoori Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +103 / 0 / -0
    How is a ban option for admin different. You would have to see someone misbehave to be sure a ban is justified. So basicly it's just giving some small group of people power to kick anyone they don't like. Even if you won't, some will create server and sit there kicking people just for fun. There is a lot of dangerous flaws in this feature. To devote many, many developer hours to it, is not something I would do. Especially when there is a feature in development that will do the same without a need for any action from admins. You just set a reputation limit and people who drive carelessly won't be able to join.

3. zfeher0815

zfeher0815 New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Still a Mac Address filter would help for wrong behaving people to be banned.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. SunnySunday

SunnySunday Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +79 / 0 / -0
    It is of course easier to develop a simple kick ban button than it is to develop a while rating system? Not sure what you have against this simple feature that most games with dedicated servers have and that is a must have. I drive in a race club and every week we have open lobbies drop ins for people to join. If there is a wrecker joining we have to restart the server and put a password protection on it, and then members only can join which defeats the whole purpose of the free drop in. Again a kick function would solve that whole issue

5. yoori

yoori Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +103 / 0 / -0
    There is nothing simple about simple kick/ban button. That's all I'm saying.
    I don't see how you would operate a ban menu in a race. So it leaves only practice session where it makes sense. If you have a wrecker in quail he will already do damage before you ban him. Not all wreckers are mindless. They will just behave until race starts and then ruin it.
    Then there is a matter of keeping permanent list of banned players. It would have to be stored locally by a server owner. Does that data fall under privacy protection laws? Someone would have to guarantee safety of this data.

It looks simple but it's not. And it's far from perfect. So why spend money on it when a better (in theory) system is almost ready.

6. SunnySunday

SunnySunday Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +79 / 0 / -0
    Rating system is great and I do look forward to it, but it usually needs a helping hand in form of penalties (usually bans of various lengths). So a ban feature would probably still be a good idea. And your concerns about privacy data I have no clue about, but many other developers seems to have it figured out so I'm sure it's possible.

7. 2ndLastJedi

2ndLastJedi Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +156 / 0 / -0
    Can we kick someone now ?