[DTM 2014] AI

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Levano, Aug 19, 2015.

1. Levano

Levano Member

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    I've purchased DTM 2014 this weekend and overall I'm very happy with the game that reflects my favorite motorsport racing series. It's got good functions, handling, sound and multiplayer.

However, there's one major flaw: AI. I've been racing various sessions and in every session I have been taken out by the AI. It appears they're just simply blind as they hit (the side of) my rear in hairpins or push me off sideways during tight corners... etc. Even Codemasters AI don't do this (and they have a reputation) and if they would, there's a rewind function.

Now after numerous sessions I found the problem: going slightly off the racing line. Could you please add a fix to make sure the AI are aware of events happing around them and not just driving around like stupid drivers?

Kind regards,
    Levano

• Agree Agree x 2
  2. shardshunt

shardshunt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +490 / 0 / -0
    Haven't been hit so hard that I end up off the track in a very long time (since the ai update). If your using adaptive ai i reccomed you don't (cause its not great) instead choose your difficulty in the options menu.

just remember with the ai you have to leave them racing room like in real life, unlike in other games if you cut them off they wont back down theyll let you spin yourself.

I often see people cut off the ai in f1 2015 and the ai just slams on the breaks which is fine cause that's open wheeler's but r3e is a touring car game. contact is always made and you need to just control it.

Im not saying the ai are perfect for dtm but from my experience of people reporting the ai its normally someone less than fair to the ai.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Levano

Levano Member

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for your comment! I started with Adaptive AI but I am using the AI on 112% now, and I leave them as much space as possible. Sometimes they are just too aggressive. I've made a video from a replay to let you know what I mean.

In the video, I am approaching the hairpin in Hockenheim. The car is unstable under braking and I run deep, but the AI simply doesn't hold back. It's mostly these situations were I make contact with the AI.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. Nigel Fox

Nigel Fox Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +92 / 0 / -0
    Last weekend, I had a stint in which the bots gave me utter fits like this. It's in every league. I have to restart a number of races just to have one to provide a satisfying replay and some photomode moments. Some of the bots will definitely use you as an auxiliary brake, and it's irritating.

I would add quickly that usually if I end up doing the same thing to a bot car, I restart. Fair is fair, and I prefer to race as cleanly as I can. Good practice for that day I decide to give online racing against you masters a shot. ;)

5. Arthur Spooner

Arthur Spooner Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +432 / 0 / -0
    Had this type of "contact" countless times, even without going off the raceline. For example once I outbreaked the AI by far and was 3/4 ahead of the AI at corner entry already, but on the inside line of course. The AI just kept on going towards the apex as if I just wasn't there at all, pushing my rear end from the outside, spinning me around in the process and driving on like nothing happened. :confused:

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. n01sname

n01sname Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +956 / 0 / -0
    True, Hockenheim they are notorious at the hairpin - I do a Championship at the same AI level like Levano and the issue is that they sometimes take a wide line when accelerating out of apex (beyond the curbs) and if you take the inner line to cover they turn you around, hitting your rear end - AI- Mortara did so (which is quiet funny cause he also is notorious for getting a bit rough at times :) )...only thing to prevent is to memorize those spots taking another line or whatever is neccessary to prevent those incidents...

• Agree Agree x 4
  7. GooseCreature

GooseCreature Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +670 / 0 / -0
    If you watch any online races this will happen 10 times a lap, even in the elite races so very lifelike I think! ;)

8. shardshunt

shardshunt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +490 / 0 / -0
    I was going to say that lol.

but yeah the ai definitely have their weak corners and i think they are too consistent at breaking, id like to see them lockup sometimes or break a tad early just to add some more life to the raceing

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Levano

Levano Member

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    Here's another example. Penultimate lap of the race, sadly.

Again braking late, I slightly overshoot the corner but leave enough (arguably even too much) space. The AI turns in and pushes me off-track sideways (no problem, could happen in real life too). In order to avoid the bumps and grass ahead, I try to get back on track as quickly as possible. Now what bothers me is that the AI doesn't move to the right and thus makes me spin on the rumble strip.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  10. Arthur Spooner

Arthur Spooner Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +432 / 0 / -0
    Have a look here. The problem I see in your video is more about the collision physics than about AI behaviour.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. n01sname

n01sname Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +956 / 0 / -0
    Yes, they sometimes act simply as if you're not there - Norisring is another example : Just leave the pits for your outlap bit too slow when near hairpin, if an AI is running down the straight right behind you, you'll see what I mean :D (- they just ram you off like you're invisible)

• Agree Agree x 3