DTM 2017

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by wozdecky, Jul 3, 2017.

1. Christian G

Christian G Topological Agitator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +2,411 / 0 / -0
    If you consider that valuable information, I'm trying way too hard. :D
    (But being annoyingly anal for a sec, that's not what I said. For me there is a difference between "nobody owes any info" and "nobody owes an explanation (i.e. justification) for unplanned/unanticipated delays".)

I get your point about rl series licenses, but look at it from another, the total car roster side. Both, GTM and DTM, will remain in the game. Yes, they will be outdated, but that's not sth that diminishes their value too much, at least for me. Especially as those series probably wouldn't have grown in terms of cars anyway, f.e. they didn't get a Lambo license in the past and I don't think they would have in the future. So it would have been "more-of-the-same" basically (except incremental improvements, physics etc), just with new liveries. Nothing I would get excited about.

Let's wait and see what they come up with. I agree they have been very silent in the last couple months, but that's nothing out of the ordinary. I get the impression that the rather high rate of content output during the past months raised the impression that it will go on like this and there will be a new release every month. But that's not sth a team the size of S3 can maintain. There will always be times of higher release frequency followed by times of production/development focus.
    Once there is enough stuff worth talking about, I'm sure they'll find the time to do another stream. But please everybody, don't read things into this, I did not say there will be a stream in the next x weeks.

In the end I guess it's a perspective thing again, the glass being half empty or half full, and I know we testers have an (unfair) advantage over you guys. But I for one am not worried and rather looking forward to whatever is going to come next, you know:

;)

• Like Like x 3
    Last edited: Jul 4, 2017
  2. Don Rudi

Don Rudi Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +284 / 0 / -0
    At least the music is good ;)
    As you said, let's wait and see. I can't think of a "high reputation" racing series that could come to Raceroom (maybe because I know too few of them). But in autumn, ok winter, we will all be wiser and complain about the next topics ;)

• Like Like x 1
  3. majuh

majuh Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +257 / 0 / -0
    On the one hand, it's a pity, but on the other hand, you can't deny that the future of the DTM in real life isn't exactly bright, either. The series is close to death right now, and the technical regulations have no future. It sounds ridiculous, but maybe the only way to save the DTM would be to switch to GT3 cars.

• Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Christian G

Ratings:
    +2,411 / 0 / -0
    Indeed, they certainly have lost a fair bit of that original Touring Cars essence that used to make them popular, as pointed out many times by various forum members.

• Agree Agree x 3
  5. GregoryLeo

GregoryLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +360 / 0 / -0
    I have to admit a couple of years ago dtm was one of my favorites to watch. But then they started withholding Video rights in my time zone. Strangely enough, thats about the same time i started loosing interest in them here as well.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Don Rudi

Ratings:
    +284 / 0 / -0
    Absolutely. But a switch to GT3 cars couldn't be more wrong. DTM is or well should be a touring car series. So they should turn back to real touring cars and away from the over the top silhouette series they are now. Back to what DTM was like before the ill-fated ITC days.

7. Sean Kenney

Sean Kenney Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +316 / 0 / -0
    A bit disappointing. DTM lead the way in also bringing many new feature sets to us. Certainly seemed a staple series to be a part of, not sure why they would not want to continue it.

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. Don Rudi

Ratings:
    +284 / 0 / -0
    I just wonder what the future fagship series of Raceroom will be - any guesses?
    My crystal ball lists three series, though I wouldn't call any of them "flagship" neccesssarily.

9. ViperNo23

ViperNo23 Member

Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0
    do no plans mean that the DTM in R3E is currently abandoned or are there just no plans for a release date?

Last edited: Jul 5, 2017
  10. m.bohlken

m.bohlken Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +988 / 0 / -0
    If there will be any series in future... Maybe they'll just focus on cars and classes and not full licensed series.

Maybe those full featured Series are something to move in GTR3 and the extract of it (new Car-Models, new Tracks) will be shared with R3E. That way GTR3 will catch the Idea of the old "Experiences" from Raceroom...

11. Eisprinzessin

Eisprinzessin Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +315 / 0 / -0
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  12. wozdecky

wozdecky Active Member

Ratings:
    +41 / 0 / -0
    DTM 2017 have bigest changes in a past few Years so it should be there.

• Agree Agree x 3
  13. James Cook

James Cook Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,013 / 0 / -0
    Indeed. ;)

DTM has about as much in common with touring cars as Formula 3. The regulations (read: costs) mean the future is probably bleak for DTM (cars reduced from 24 to 18 for instance). Expensive cars + large engines. Not the way motorsport is going unfortunately.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Balrog

Balrog Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +466 / 0 / -0
    Many of these arguments simply bend the truth. DTM introduced new regulations this year which improved the on track action fairly well and it would have been nice to see the new cars in the game. And then this "all seasons are the same anyway" argument... Sure, because S3 decided not to simulate the fine details in the regulations. "DTM is not a real touring car series" and yet it is one of the most entertaining 'touring car' series besides the Australian Supercars series (I know, still not 'real' touring cars) with probably the highest quality field. TCR cars on the other hand are cheap, easily accessible, slow and fairly easy to drive, I don't see it as a bright future solution for professional touring car racing. Even in the international series driving standards are incredibly low. Comini for example seems like a very cool and likeable person, but sometimes his driving is plain embarassing to watch and he is a multiple champion of the category.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  15. Christian G

Ratings:
    +2,411 / 0 / -0
    So what are those "major changes" and "fine details"? Increasing the air restrictor size from 28 to 29 millimeters? 30 more bhp? Bit of aero tweaking and softer tyres? Well, none of that's gonna get me rockin me chair, sorry.

And talking in terms of car model variety, I'd much rather see some slow - but new to the game - TCR cars than another slightly changed RS5, M4 and C63 DTM car. But of course that's just my pov and maybe I've just grown a bit tired of them over the years...

• Agree Agree x 4
    Last edited: Jul 5, 2017
  16. James Cook

James Cook Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,013 / 0 / -0
    A touring car should by it's very nature be a stripped-down, race-prepared version of a road car.

DTM is a silhouette series. The cars only bear a cosmetic resemblance to the road models. These cars and their engines are designed from the ground up for the track.

• Agree Agree x 3
  17. Don Rudi

Ratings:
    +284 / 0 / -0
    All arguments pro and con future DTM releases are valid.
    But - if the changes between 2016 and 2017 were so minimal, then we are basically just talking about a skin pack. If I, as a noob, can skin 3 Cup Porsches in less than a day, then I expect a professional and experienced texture artist to finish all 18 DTM cars easily in one working week. So the effort that would be needed is quite overviewable.

I agree with Christian about TCR in regards of pure driving. Slower series, be it TCR or even something like a Clio- or Opel Adam Cup guarentee some fine and exciting racing (just look at our current Audi TT and NSUs). However, these cars are no customer magnets. Which new customer will turn to Raceroom because we can drive Opel Astras, VW Golfs and Hyundais or Kias or whatever runs in TCR. Imho a racing sim, needs a signature series ("oder auch Zugpferd"). So far these were DTM and ADAC GT Masters, both break away. Therefore, marketingwise, I don't find it smart to drop all high ranking series and concentrate on racing series instead, that are covered on a quarter page in my weekly racing magazine.

18. David Peres

David Peres Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +96 / 0 / -0
    I see this as a good thing... in fact, for such a small team as Sector 3, I think it doesn't make much sense to keep on working on what are basically the same cars every single year just to bring a new season. It's a waste of resources and we end up with almost "repeated" cars in our collection that become obsolete one year later and I guess those resources could be better used for new/different/more exciting stuff... personally I would love to see stuff like Can Am, Group C, V8, more classic touring cars, etc... but I digress...

Don't get me wrong, I love the DTM cars and they where one of the factors that made invest in Raceroom to start with, but for me there inst much difference between the different season cars to justify buying more of them every single year just because of small regulation changes. For that same reason I haven't bought WTCC 2017... I just don't see the point. I want stuff that we don't have yet rather than duplicates of what it's already there.

But that's just me, I just like to drive and race different stuff and I don't particularly care to have a detailed simulation of a particular season in a particular series, but I do understand those who think different since we don't all like the same things.

Oh, and since this is my first post in this forum: keep doing what you're doing Sector 3, Raceroom is one of my favorite sims at the moment (and I play or have played most of them) and it's just a few improvements away to actually becoming my number one! :)

• Like Like x 1
  19. Don Rudi

Ratings:
    +284 / 0 / -0
    I thought so as well, especially as the 2015 cars were like a downgrade from the 2014 cars. But you should relally give the 2016 or 2017 cars a try, they are a totally different breed now :)

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. Squanchy

Squanchy Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +66 / 0 / -0
    What's the future of DTM anyway? And I don't mean technically. Do they have high ratings? It's not a good sign when grids start to dwindle like in DTM and WTCC, whatever the reasons are...

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1