EDTracker - Anyone using this?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Not Lifting Off, Apr 18, 2016.

1. Not Lifting Off

Not Lifting Off Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +368 / 0 / -0
    Was looking at track ir stuff and came across this, anyone used or know anyone that has used them?
    For £20 DIY kit im seriously tempted to try, seen only good reviews so far, then ive only been looking for 1hr or so, im thinking get it build it, if i dont like it lesson learned and on Ebay for cost.

http://edtracker.org.uk/
    http://hobbycomponents.com/electronics/440-diy-head-tracker-bundle#/kit_options-pro_micro_mpu_9250_s
    You tube review

Knowledge, opinions, all welcome!

Oh yeah, would it work in RR?

• Like Like x 3
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2016
  2. sbtm

sbtm Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +591 / 0 / -0
    Hi,

M4IRC1IE is using EDTracker, and I will use it too as soon as it arrives. Ordered it on April 8th and it's already in germany, now just waiting for delivery from the local parcel service.

It works with R3E but you must use OpenTracker Software afaik. But that won't be a problem. So.. yes.. it works with R3E.

• Like Like x 1
  3. digitizer

digitizer Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +117 / 0 / -0
    If you have web camera, you can use OpenTrack with just printed target. I think this is not best solution, but it work

• Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2016
  4. gp20

gp20 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +53 / 0 / -0
    Very interesting.

5. digitizer

digitizer Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +117 / 0 / -0
    After opentrack installed, you can find folder "aruco" inside folder with opentracker. And find png file in it. Just print it and put to your besball cap or something similar. Then you need to calibrate your camera with opentrack.
    Here is homepage for opentrack https://github.com/opentrack/opentrack/releases

6. M4IRC1IE

M4IRC1IE Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +68 / 0 / -0
    i am using it. On my YouTube channel http://youtube.com/m4irc1ie there are a lot of gameplays with using edtracker. Works pretty good in raceroom. When calibrating in the edtracker software is done and the setup in the opentrack software. It is working very smooth.

• Like Like x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
  7. sbtm

sbtm Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +591 / 0 / -0
    My EDTracker arrived today. Easy to get it running in R3E but wow .. that's a whole new experience.. I have to learn to drive again.. but I beat my best time at Oschersleben so I'm on a good way. It's very fun but you need to fine-tune it to your likings...

• Like Like x 1
  8. Not Lifting Off

Ratings:
    +368 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for the replies guys, just ordered the kit, will have a play and let you know when it comes!

9. M4IRC1IE

Ratings:
    +68 / 0 / -0

here I found an old video from my first edtracker settings. Now I use it with a filter (don't know right now which one) and some other mappings. Very important is to setup the magnetometer very long with very much points so it is runnin very smooth and without stuttering or jumping view.

• Like Like x 2
  10. Not Lifting Off

Ratings:
    +368 / 0 / -0
    Its not meant to be a review, i dont do reviews, first impressions and all.
    Arrived today, less than 3 full days, so far so good. Small cd sized package, all components ready to be soldered, took me about 30 mins to assemble and solder another 5 to load the firmware then time spent calibrating and testing in Windows. In total about 2 hrs from opening, assembling and being ready to use ingame, heres where the fun starts!!!!
    AAArrrggghhh, i cant drive no more, gone are the hopes of a sub 8 nords at least for a week or 2 anyway. I always drive bonnet view in every game and have done forever, this dosnt work in bonnet view (but i could edit cockpit cam to replicate bonnet), maybe later. Anyway first time trying to be serious in cockpit view is bad enough add to that im getting roughly a 200 degree viewing angle (overall, left right up down) and every single mother doing little movement of my head, even not moving im moving, my driving habits, lean left\right back a little while braking all accelerated using this.
    I can see im going to like it even tho i struggled for 20 mins in the Nissan and FRJ, the single seater was so much easier than the Nissan, coordination and orientation its like learning to drive\game all over again.
    If your competant with a soldering iron you get everything you need bar the usb cable for £21.54 delivered, takes no time to assemble, bargain and loving it so far, im changing my race name to newb tho cause that is how it feels!

• Like Like x 2
  11. M4IRC1IE

Ratings:
    +68 / 0 / -0
    yeah it takes some time, to figure out whats the best setup, but after that its big fun to drive with this feature.

• Like Like x 2
  12. Gareth Smith

Gareth Smith Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +53 / 0 / -0
    For just over £20 this is so tempting!

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. Not Lifting Off

Ratings:
    +368 / 0 / -0
    Still finding it really hard adapting to cockpit and using this, but loving it, maybe a little novelty value still but cant see it not being used and add to that the other types of games it can be used with its got a job 4 life!
    Im amazed, you see the comments about fov and other factors to add to the immersion, whats best whats not, i dont care, i cant think of anything for £20 that could add so much to a driving game, not sure how to describe it, is like playing pes or fifa on a 4 button joystick then getting a proper 16 button controller and the difference that makes.

Watching your video I noticed you have ini files for several games, do you fancy sharing them?
    Its intense, immersive and every penny a bargain, if your competant with a soldering iron its so easy to assemble, if you dont like it you`ll get your money back on ebay all day long im sure, but you will love it :)

• Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2016
  14. Gareth Smith

Ratings:
    +53 / 0 / -0
    I had a look as I want one now but was confused with what I needed to buy. Would you mind sharing what you bought and I will decide whether to go for the DIY or Pro version. My soldering isn't pretty but works, so should be okay I think.

15. Not Lifting Off

Ratings:
    +368 / 0 / -0
    • Like Like x 1
  16. Alex Bonner

Alex Bonner Active Member

Ratings:
    +34 / 0 / -0
    A long time ago I tried an even cheaper version

Using FaceTrackNOIR and a PlayStation eye camera http://facetracknoir.sourceforge.net/home/default.htm

It worked perfectly and cost nothing. Make sure your face has enough light hitting it so the camera can make out your eyes and distance from face to camera was pretty critical to getting it to work.

17. sbtm

sbtm Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +591 / 0 / -0
    i prefer systems without cameras. and i like to drive in dark or dimmed rooms.

• Agree Agree x 2
  18. Gareth Smith

Ratings:
    +53 / 0 / -0
    Thanks, the only thing holding me back now is my headset being tethered to the computer as I currently use a pair of Astro A50's. I might try hooking a cable up and seeing how it goes as this is a good solution I think.

@Alex Bonner I tried this yesterday with my sons webcam and it works surprisingly well for a free solution and without any cables. But I had to keep the lights on last night and it does require me sticking my face into the camera to pick me up now and again.

19. Gareth Smith

Ratings:
    +53 / 0 / -0
    Just came across this head tracking solution which is also pretty cheap and looks like it would work in low light too. I saw a video on their ebay page with a battery option, intriguing!
    http://www.delanengineering.com/shop/

20. Not Lifting Off

Ratings:
    +368 / 0 / -0
    Raceroom config if anyone wants to try it, nice slopes for left right, a little roll with a little up down.
    Not too fast but not too slow with a little deadzone at the centre.
    Love the roll effect going around corners, i naturally lean as i drive and that is translated ingame, gives cornering a whole new edge.

Edit - Just to add, there are slight differemces between left and right look based on driving RHD when i set it up, so in a lhd vehicle the long right look may need speeding up a touch. Ahh well you know now why its a little off.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 25, 2016