EDTracker - Anyone using this?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Not Lifting Off, Apr 18, 2016.

1. Gareth Smith

Gareth Smith Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +53 / 0 / -0
    I just ordered a pre-built one from eBay so will check out your config later in the week - thanks!

• Like Like x 1
  2. Not Lifting Off

Not Lifting Off Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +368 / 0 / -0
    I saw these also, but i also saw plans to make one for pennies using a cheapo webcam, im doing that next, sometime this week hopefully, compare the two and get rid of the lesser..

3. Not Lifting Off

Ratings:
    +368 / 0 / -0
    Simple short video showing head movement and the like, waiting on ir leds to compare the freetrack equivalent, will do a small vid to show that off too.

• Like Like x 2
    • Love it! Love it! x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. Gareth Smith

Ratings:
    +53 / 0 / -0
    @Not Lifting Off Hi mate, would you mind helping me? I'm having a mare getting anything like your video. The device I got wasn't EDTracker but the same hardware which I flashed with the EDTracker firmware. So if you could post the following screens for me to compare that would really help. I'm using Opentrack with freetrack protocol and Accela filter.

EDTracker screen
    Opentrack screen
    Opentrack Joystick input screen
    Opentrack Filter screen

Many thanks!

5. Not Lifting Off

Ratings:
    +368 / 0 / -0
    No problem. I set it up first time it was amazing, 2nd time i used completely lost the settings and didnt know wtf i had done to get decent settings, anyway little trial and error got the settings in the video, one thing i would add to it ingame a tiny, really tiny amount of deadzone on the steering, me, if i look left i tend to drift left, the little deadzone helps me keep it a little straighter.
    Edtracker[​IMG]
    Opentrack [​IMG]
    Joystick settings[​IMG]
    Yaw [​IMG]
    Pitch[​IMG]
    Roll[​IMG]
    Its hard to get competant with but adds so much and if I\you or whoever can persevere with it adapt to driving with it, amazing, simple body movements i make for real sat im my chair are accelerated, i know i said it earlier but the lean going around corners, body and head movement under braking, i didnt realise how much i did move till i used this, and it is a real addition to the game. I use a 32"LG cant wait to nick the 42 out of the living room, i think that will take it to another level.
    Bonus, love it, struggling to adapt to it, did i already say that, this and 3 large screens would be epic, as close to VR without the headset.

• Like Like x 1
    • Wonderful Wonderful x 1
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2016
  6. Gareth Smith

Ratings:
    +53 / 0 / -0
    Thanks mate, that helped me figure out my problem. The issue I was having was it was auto centering after turning left or right. I just had to calibrate it better and now it seems great. Gonna try and drive with it now lol. Thanks again!

• Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2016
  7. Not Lifting Off

Ratings:
    +368 / 0 / -0
    No problem, if i can help i will.

8. Gareth Smith

Ratings:
    +53 / 0 / -0
    Wow immersion levels just upped once again. Frikking love this bit of kit and this game! Cost me £35 off eBay including 5M USB cable and a few hours faffing about. I feel one step closer to VR.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Metalogic

Metalogic Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +234 / 0 / -0
    I like the idea of the ED tracker, especially compared to devices that rely on optical movement detection. I'm considering getting a pre-built ED tracker box, but how do you fit this to your headset and does it get in the way at all, e.g. does it add much bulk/weight to the headset?

I'm limited to a single monitor screen, so am thinking this could help with that limitation.

BTW think this looks very useful for ETS2 as well, possibly even more so than R3E.

10. Not Lifting Off

Ratings:
    +368 / 0 / -0
    No weight at all, stick it on with velcro or electrical tape and once on you forget its there.
    Single screen 32" here, and i mentioned earlier in this thread the immersion level goes up a huge notch, it is litterally that, a head tracker, every head movement also influenced by body movement, with and without the difference is amazing.
    As for other games there are lots and lots, i found this looking at elite dangerous vids, which got me looking at track ir which led to edtracker, as for ETS2 the designer of edtracker has a vid online showing how to set it up for that game, ets2 from 6.50ish, youll also see size and how it fits. theres one here also
    Its good for driving flight fps there are vids showing lots of different games making use of it.
    Problem for me (repeating myself) cockpit view, learning to drive that and use this is hard, dont have the patience to adapt to cockpit then start using this, frustration levels :(

Last edited: May 2, 2016
  11. Gareth Smith

Ratings:
    +53 / 0 / -0
    As Not Lifting Off says you will forget it's there. Very easy to attach, I use a Velcro strip.

@Not Lifting Off I can imagine it's frustrating but keep at it, cockpit + head tracker definitely worth the pain. Might be worth lessening the tracker's movement until you are used to cockpit and gradually increase it.

Attached Files:

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Metalogic

Metalogic Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +234 / 0 / -0
    Okay, I may give it a go, pity the box isn't a bit smaller, though.

13. Not Lifting Off

Ratings:
    +368 / 0 / -0
    The box is small mate, smaller than a box of Englands Glory matches, you can easilly use one without the box and is probably 2\3rds size.

• Informative Informative x 2
  14. GregoryLeo

GregoryLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +360 / 0 / -0
    Ok damn it, you guys have convinced me to get one of these. Looks too cool to not have one.

• Like Like x 2
  15. m.bohlken

m.bohlken Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +988 / 0 / -0
    hehe - same with me... I've ordered mine on Hobby-Components, got it last week, soldered it at the weekend and fitted it into the enclosure.
    Although I'm not the most experienced solderer, the assembling and soldering of the edtracker-components weren't to difficult. For sure you need a calm hand, as the contacts are quite close.
    After that i've did a quick function-check before i've started to fit it in the enclosure.
    The enclosure that was delivered with the components, was a little box. So before you can put the edtracker into that box you need to cut two holes into it. One for the Reset-Button and the other one for the Micro-USB-Connector.
    After that was done I started with the flashing-Process.

Yesterday I had the Time to test it with Raceroom. After Installing the Arduino-Driver and EdTracker-GUI on my Gaming-PC I've done the calibration-Process, which is quite easy after watching the Video that can be found on the edtracker-Website. Than I've installed opentracker and started with the Configuration-File that @Not Lifting Off has shared here in the threat (thanks for that :)).
    As everything seems to run, I started Raceroom. Raceroom detected a new Input-Device and created a new Profile for it.
    Than starting a training-session and yepp - my head was moving.

It's really a great addition as it feels more natural - aaaaand as a benefit: I have "Yaw" now in the seating-Postion ;). But yepp - when playing the first time with it, it's something you need to get used to.
    In the beginning I've noticed that the left/right head-movements seems to fast, which can be really irritating. I guess, as I'm playing a 50"-Screen I might move my head more than @Not Lifting Off. So I've changed the Mapping in OpenTracker a bit so that the movements are a bit slower around the center. After that I feel much more comfortable and getting a great feeling for it. At the moment I still need to tweak it a bit, as the movements now might be a bit to slow, but well - thats part of the fun with it :)

• Like Like x 3
    Last edited: May 11, 2016
  16. Not Lifting Off

Ratings:
    +368 / 0 / -0
    Only need a couple more we can start the Edtracker Racing League :)

Or maybe not!!!

• Funny Funny x 2
  17. Tarik Userli

Tarik Userli Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +578 / 0 / -0
    wow, maybe id buy this too! Thanks for review ;)

18. Not Lifting Off

Ratings:
    +368 / 0 / -0
    Ok enough silly stuff.
    I finally got around to building the track ir ripoff, easy as pie to assemble, used a £shop mini tripod legs for the spacing of the leds, £shop head torch with torch removed so i can use the mount to fit it on my head :) 3 leds 3 resistors a fuse and ps3 eye cam total cost £9, its messy as it is needs tidying up, wires dangling everywhere, but it works and works well, still havnt set it up correctly, need to adjust movement and sensitivities but it feels more natural off the bat than the edtracker, something to do with the extra DOF im sure. Will post a couple of pics and a vid in a day or two when ive finished setting it up and tidy the mount.

Last edited: May 12, 2016
  19. m.bohlken

m.bohlken Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +988 / 0 / -0
    Sounds interesting but maybe not the best option for a living-room ^^ hope you can make a Video of a Testdrive, too?
    One thing I miss with the edtracker is the missing x,y,z-movement. But I'm not sure if would be supported with R3E?!

With Edtracker we have Yaw, Pitch and Roll, which is enough for the peripheral vision. But with x,y,z-Movement you would get a a better feeling for depth in the picture.

20. Not Lifting Off

Ratings:
    +368 / 0 / -0
    You have your standard view as it is with the EDtracker plus the extra body movement forward back left right, lean forward and your up and trying to look over the bonnet, or in the frj you can lean out and over to look at the road passing by, it really is cool and im not doing a great job of describing it!