FFB Update Discussion Thread (June 2021)

Discussion in 'News & Announcements' started by Thomas Jansen, Jun 23, 2021.

1. memoNo1

memoNo1 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +155 / 0 / -0

Thank you for this information.
    I have also complained a lot about this, but I am now adjusting and adapting.
    I want it to be as real as possible.
    Keep up the good work.
    And RRRE is really ingenious and 100% real racing simulation.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Dennis

Dennis Member

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    Wow, just like everything else with this "sim", this FFB update is overrated and overhyped.

• Disagree Disagree x 10
    • Dislike Dislike x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  3. sloppshaa

sloppshaa Member

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0
    aaah i think you misunderstand what i meant, or i didn't explain it properly.
    Yes ok you have 100% steering rack forces, which also then explains why the steering is so much heavier in the F1 car.
    My point was that you're still feeling variation in ffb due to tyre load, from the oversteer, the gyro "seat of the pants" feel.
    So driving the car on the limit, if i was only feeling steering rack forces and nothing else, it wouldn't be telling me the gyro forces i need to drive and feel car on the limit.
    But you are also generating ffb from the tyre load and giving info about the yaw/car rotation, so that's giving that crucial oversteer info, it's not just tyre rack. (right?!)

so for me it's that gyro feel that's far more important than steering rack force, and infact i think that's the one thing that needs to be adjustable.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2021
  4. sloppshaa

sloppshaa Member

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0
    no ranked multiplayer. It's mostly league racing, or people cruising servers, and SRS is poor for quick drivers.
    haven't tried Worldsimseries, seems to be the only other option - but none of it is ranked properly.

5. Thomas Jansen

Thomas Jansen KW Studios Developer Beta tester

Ratings:
    +563 / 0 / -0
    That's the thing, gyroscopic forces come through the steering rack as it's the tires resisting being rotated in the yaw direction, not the car. I have no idea how other sims do their gyro effects, if they even do them. All I know is that we do them properly and they affect the steering exactly as much as they would irl, there is one correct amount and that's what the physics behind it gives us. In most cars I think it ranges from 20-50% of the total steering forces, increasing with speed ofcourse. And I fully agree that the gyro forces are extremely important, just as a test we even tried to turn off everything in the FFB besides the gyro forces and it gave completely useable FFB! But the complete package with all forces acting on it is better still.

• Like Like x 4
    • Informative Informative x 2
  6. sloppshaa

sloppshaa Member

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0
    ok that makes sense to me, i guess you've amplified somehow that element of the steering force (the 20-50%) to make it more obvious?
    Iin a real car of course the steering does "self correct" to a degree when you let go of the wheel in oversteer but it's mostly seat of pants/gyro that gives me the information to know how much opposite lock to apply, and that self correct force isn't that strong (depending on the car), so the 20-50% range you've indicated also makes sense to me.

7. Thomas Jansen

Thomas Jansen KW Studios Developer Beta tester

Ratings:
    +563 / 0 / -0
    As I said before, we haven't tweaked anything to amplify certain feelings in the FFB, it's all just what the equations give us. We can easily make the gyro dominate the FFB more/less by changing the steering geometry, as the gyro forces you feel are not affected much by the geometry, but how much you feel the lateral forces of the tire is hugely dependent on geometry. This is also why it varies per car, completely caused by the specific design of each car and nothing we 'forced' in.

The self-correcting nature of the wheel comes from both of those aspects. They are two different effects getting to the same end result of self-aligning the steering in different ways, and combined they are even better. For any control theory nerds like me, it is quite similar to a PD-controller, where the lateral forces give you the proportional (P) part and the gyro forces give you the Derivative (D) part :) The gyro forces are crucial in giving a 'stable' self-aligning effect without overshoot and throwing you off the track in the other direction. This is clearly shown by the stability of cars when you let go of the wheel compared to the old FFB without any gyro effect.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
  8. sloppshaa

sloppshaa Member

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0
    ok fair enough, i guess amplify was the wrong word - whatever, it works anyway! :D

• Like Like x 2
  9. RampageRacing

RampageRacing Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +71 / 0 / -0
    OK, I decided to put this to the test. I went to another, newer track that I have a bit of experience with. I have never been in a racecar at Daytona but I did get the opportunity to take a couple laps of the road course in a parade lap scenario. Of course, I abused it as much as possible. For my comparison laps in Raceroom, I turned the Bump Amp up to 40 and drove the track. I am getting better curb feel on this track although it is still pretty subdued. That lends credence to what you said about things being better on newer tracks. I guess the feel at 40 is as about as good as I can hope for now. Above that things get noisy and you start burying important feedback in somewhat distracting vibrations.

I thought about trying the bit about deleting the SimBin folder and uninstalling/reinstalling the whole game but I do not want to go through all that trouble and bandwidth for no improvement. Has anyone with a G27 tried this and gotten good results?

10. Anthony Monteil

Anthony Monteil KW Studios Developer

Ratings:
    +1,199 / 0 / -0
    Just deleting your UserData folder in "Documents\My Games\SimBin\RaceRoom Racing Experience" should be enough ;)

11. Lanius1984

Lanius1984 Member

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0
    What do you mean by Linearity at 0? Do you mean 50%, or 100%?

12. RIZZI

RIZZI Member

Ratings:
    +15 / 0 / -0
    je mets mes réglages devant les tiens
    J'ai aussi un CSW 2.5 avec une formule de roue v2
    Et mon multiplicateur FFB à 1.1, si je l'augmente le volant est beaucoup trop dur

13. RampageRacing

RampageRacing Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +71 / 0 / -0
    All the way down. So I guess that is 50. I am not on the Sim Rig right now to look.

Yeah, I know that just the Userdata folder (and actually just the controller folder in that) is the one that has been said needs to be deleted. I saved the whole SimBin folder to my Desktop so I could put pieces back piecemeal if deleting stuff did not make a difference.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2021
  14. Lanius1984

Lanius1984 Member

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0
    I thought that would be the case, but worth the check. I personally prefer the heavier feel when Linearity is Lowered, as it gives me better feedback on the important forces when the car is rotating and trying to self-align. I do agree that kerbs are quite muted, but this suits me as the ratlling of kerbs is noisy and I think masks more important forces.

@Peter Stefani recommended some settings that give him better feel of the small details, but it does make the wheel overall lighter and have a deadzone. If you want to get more kerb feel, it might be worth giving his settings a test. I think it was Linearity at 80%, Min Force 0%, and bumps up very high, maybe 70-75%

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. maxxous

maxxous New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Very good FFB with my TX, better than ACC for me, but it's subjective, lack of vibration on the kerb, but with
    but with some adjustments it's ok !

• Like Like x 1
  16. Pullblox

Pullblox Member

Ratings:
    +15 / 0 / -0
    Your ffb settings?

17. bksz

bksz New Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    DD1.

I feel no real difference in driving just below the limit, or on the limit, or above the limit, aside from actually SEEING it.

Its extremely subtle. I have everything set to 50-60ish percent, linearity is at 100.
    If i lower the linearity, i tend to feel the drop offs better.

With that said,

I still like whats being done, compared to what it was. But dont stop here.

18. NicoCL68

NicoCL68 Member

Ratings:
    +21 / 0 / -0
    FFB metter is not working for me. Shows flat line. Any advice ?

19. Verde_msk

Verde_msk New Member

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    Seat Leon WTCC 2013 has an incredibly heavy steering wheel with the new ffb. Is it realistic or a bug?

20. Hervé45

Hervé45 Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +135 / 0 / -0
    the 2013 WTCCs are on old physics. this is therefore less optimal with the new ffb

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1