Problem Framedops when smoke comes up

Discussion in 'Community Support' started by m.bohlken, Apr 13, 2015.

1. m.bohlken

m.bohlken Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +988 / 0 / -0
    Hi there...

especially in Mulitplayer i've noticed extreme framedrops when smoke or dust comes up from any car. Maybe i noticed it in mainly in Multiplayer because in Multiplayer the amount of smoke and dust is a littlebit higher than in singleplayer-practice ;)

I have those extreme Framedrops since the easter-Update.

Has anyone else notice that especially with the Smoke-Effekt?

Regards
    Manuel

2. Drei

Drei Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +82 / 0 / -0
    I have that since the beginning, when smoke comes up, my framerate drops like half (amd 7950)

3. m.bohlken

Ratings:
    +988 / 0 / -0
    From the beginning of R3E I was losing Frames, but it don't began to stutter. hm, maybe it's for me a combination of the generally lower framerates since the update and with the Framedrops when the smoke comes up...

4. D.Boon

D.Boon Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +386 / 0 / -0
    Find this a little odd, I'm getting better frame rates since the recent updates, actually been able to increase the graphics settings quite a bit, mostly medium now with all the shadow settings set to off apart from contact shadows which are set to 4.

5. m.bohlken

Ratings:
    +988 / 0 / -0
    I will have a look to the shadows today... At the moment I have the shadows set at high as it was over the last months.

6. machwebb

machwebb Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +224 / 0 / -0
    Do you use cockpit view?

Shadows on high and split on, for me they look really bad in the cockpit, everywhere else... Great.

7. Drei

Drei Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +82 / 0 / -0
    my framerates are pretty good in general i have to say, no complain about that. i always dirve in cockpit, split off vsync off rest is kinda mix of med and high, but i can deffinetly feel when smoke comes up

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. m.bohlken

Ratings:
    +988 / 0 / -0
    Yepp, I'm playing in Cockpit-View with shadow high and split on. Despite some cars (the Mclaren for example) the shadows in the cockpit are "ok" for me. Not Perfect but ok... I'll try it with split off this evening.

But I only get Stuttering when smoke or dust comes up. So maybe the framedrops from Smoke in combination with my actual Shadow-Settings causes the Stuttering.

9. machwebb

Ratings:
    +224 / 0 / -0
    I've noticed on the cars with Roll Bars in vision on the way I have it set up that the shadows flicker like mad on them too....anyway to be more positive I ran a pretty basic test last night and this lunchtime...

Sachsenring, Grid of 12, Sunset, Contact Shadows 12, but everything else either off or at its lowest setting, with my spec (in the sig). Off the Grid I get 170fps but during the race up to 330fps if running at pace on my own...So that was my baseline fps 170-300+. Then I started to add in some things in a sort of order to just to see really and was really surprised.

These 3 I think are a must have:
    1. 4xAA = 170-300+fps
    2. Car Texture HIGH = 170-300+
    3. Track Texture HIGH = 170-300+

Those settings I think are brilliantly optimised if that's the right way to put it, because at his point that I was thinking surely this stuff should be having some impact on fps but 'no' not really, then I started to add nice to haves.

4. Shader HIGH = 170-300+
    5. Particle Detail HIGH = 160-300 (first noticeable drop, but no biggy)

After this we start getting into the nitty gritty

6. Car Reflection HIGH = 130-230
    7. Tiremarks ON = 130-230 (Smoke Drops to 110fps tbh could have been crowding at T4)
    8. Lightshafts ON = 125 - 225 (Started to notice jumpy motion in the backgrounds, cured with vsync)

I guess what I'm trying to say is that its amazing what I could get in without any bother on the FPS and have the game running really smooth. I still have some headroom for other stuff, so I'm pretty happy. Cheers S3.

Maybe try that method to see what you guys can bring in..

Just to add, I usually run track details on low, it just gets rid of some trees and the crowds mainly. It doesn't affect how things look.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2015
  10. m.bohlken

Ratings:
    +988 / 0 / -0
    Thanks alot machwebb... in just a few hours I can give it a try ;)

I'm quite happy with the overall-Performance of R3E, but I've noticed a huge difference since the last update without any changes in my settings. That was just the reason I've posted that here in the forum so that we can discuss about it, with the hope that it would help the Devs to point out a problem.

• Like Like x 1
  11. machwebb

Ratings:
    +224 / 0 / -0
    Totally man, it's great. I'm sure things like smoke will get some treatment at some point.

• Like Like x 1
  12. m.bohlken

Ratings:
    +988 / 0 / -0
    Well, it seems like shadow split has an enormous impact on the Framerate at the moment. I've tested my settings in Training @ hockenheim with 11 opponents and sunset. With shadow split on i had an average fps from around 50fps. With shadow split off i've got 73fps.

Smoke and Dust just seems to have a little impact in comparison to shadow split, but in a test i've lost 10fps.

13. Yevgeny Lazorenko

Yevgeny Lazorenko Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +793 / 0 / -0
    Hey!

I was looking for perfect balance between high fps and good texture for a long time and here some screens of mine!
    These settings give me a good picture plus high fps in MP crowded rooms! Even on new tracks!

My PC-spec is:

Intel Core i3-530 (2.93 GHz) / RAM 4 Gb 1333 MHz / HDD 500 Gb / HIS Radeon R7 250, 1GB GDDR5 / DVD±RW / LAN / Windows 7 Max SP 1 32-bit

Maybe who else has similar hardware will find this message helpful.
    2015-04-14_00007.jpg 2015-04-14_00008.jpg

2015-04-14_00009.jpg 2015-04-14_00010.jpg

• Like Like x 1