Get really real! (damage) poll

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by VinPetrol (Vinny Roberts), Apr 11, 2017.

?

Get real damage for get real mode? right now we can barrel roll and continue racing!

1. yes

81.4%
  2. no

9.3%
  3. Don't mind

10.3%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. CheerfullyInsane

CheerfullyInsane Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +402 / 0 / -0
    Okay, first of all, any comparison to BeamNG is ludicrous.
    BeamNG is a physics sandbox (and a very good one), but not a racing game.
    Very rudimentary AI, no networked multiplayer, no championships, no official content, none of all the things we usually expect in a racing-game.
    So ask yourselves this; would you be willing to part with all of that in order to get BeamNG damage?
    I kinda doubt that. :)

If they're DNF anyway, then what does it matter?
    Presumably you play racing-games for the racing, not the spectacular crashing.

And besides, let's not forget the flip side to realistic damage.
    You can practice for a race for a few hours, then end it in turn 1 because some tit behind you doesn't know his braking-markers.
    You also run the risk of having professional wreckers out there, something that has become an increasing problem even for iRacing with their subscription model.

Would I like more realistic damage? I'm a little indifferent to be honest.
    I wouldn't complain if it was introduced, but IMO it's somewhere on page 6 of things I'd like to see in R3E.

Finally, and this is just me......
    See this? -----> !
    That's an exclamation-mark.
    It is used to e.g. indicate strong feelings on a matter, or to draw particular attention to a specific sentence within a paragraph.
    Using it on every sentence means trying to draw equal attention to each of them, thus negating the point altogether.
    And if it absolutely has to be used, one of them is more than sufficient to do the job. ;)

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  2. VinPetrol (Vinny Roberts)

VinPetrol (Vinny Roberts) Active Member

Ratings:
    +25 / 0 / -0
    The first bit was relevant thanks,
    but the last bit (better watch my grammar) is a bit like, wow man!
    What the **** is your problem lol ;p

• Dislike Dislike x 1
  3. Timmy L

Timmy L Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +76 / 0 / -0
    Hello.
    Your English is very good, so do not worry.
    The above quote; we are playing a video game...
    So, it is all pretend.
    Not real.
    As Snoopy has stated above, this is a 'car racing game'.
    Not a car crashing game.
    If people wish to view replays of cars crashing, then they are playing the wrong game.
    This is a game about racing great looking cars, on great looking tracks.
    With, in my view, class leading force-feedback and class leading sounds.
    Not too bad for a game still in Beta.
    Perhaps the main point people seem to be missing is, the idea is not to crash the car...
    Bin the car, bin the race.
    You will not win anything with half a car.
    Iracing has been mentioned.
    In my view perhaps not the best example.
    Yes, you get broken suspension arms in open wheel racing cars, bent bits etc.
    However, this kind of damage can happen with the most gentle of touches from another car.
    Which just causes players more stress.
    And as Mr Snoopy has stated above, 'professional' wreckers within iracing has and is becoming a problem.
    Iracing will not tell you this, however spend a few weeks playing the game and see for yourself.
    And this brings up another issue; Net-Code.
    If the Net-Code is not running as it should, for example I am in the UK racing 10 people from Africa, and 3 from the US, one of us may have a bad connection.
    Meaning one tiny touch, or just getting too close to another car means you crash/spin.
    And then the damage model kicks in.
    So, you have no car left, it was not your doing, yet your race is over.
    And maybe the same for the rest of the gird/field.
    Still, the replay looks good...
    Also, iracing has spent years trying to program a damage model for the car body; they are still at it...
    Years.
    Oh, bad Net-Code and over sensitive damage models leads to, well basically fellow players on iracing, disliking each other to the point of taking revenge weeks down the line.
    And this is a video game...
    And please people, iracing is a video game too.
    Just like all the others..
    'Sim' is a marketing tool, to make you think you are buying a product that is better, than a child's video game.
    Video game=little people.
    Sim=big people.
    We all play, video games that simulate driving a car.
    Accept that we are playing video games, and things become a lot easier..
    Honest.
    Less stress, less arguments, happy racing.
    'Nothing is real'...

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. CheerfullyInsane

CheerfullyInsane Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +402 / 0 / -0
    Well, it's not grammar, it's punctuation!!!
    And yes!!
    You're free to write however you like!!!! You can even use l33tsp34k should the mood grab ya!!!!!
    And I'd probably be annoyed about that as well!!!!!

(End of sermon)

• Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Tuborg

Tuborg Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +460 / 0 / -0
    Right

R3E is a Simulator

6. Squanchy

Squanchy Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +66 / 0 / -0
    VinPetrol, I have the answer to all your demolition needs:
    "Next Car Game: Wreckfest" on steam.
    Been in development hell for YEARS apparently. Negative reviews. Beta. But- you can smash cars. It's all about the smashing of cars. Demolition derby.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Wonderful Wonderful x 1
  7. Andy Blade

Andy Blade Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +302 / 0 / -0
    Guys lets not turn it into a personal attack.
    I understand both arguments and I don't believe he is asking for complete wrecks just if the hood in game takes say 10,000 mass impact to come off maybe it should be only 8,000 so slamming a wall at 200 km/h hood etc may actually come off ?
    No idea how it is actually set in game , but again everyone is entitled to an opinion without need to be personal ?

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  8. Catacroken

Catacroken Member

Ratings:
    +9 / 0 / -0
    well... do not bother, but I sincerely hope that the way of thinking of Sector3 does not look like yours, because in that case, I think I've been wasting my money in this "car racing game".

For me, a car racing game is about racing great looking cars on great looking tracks, but above all it is about compete, either against an AI or against other players. And if that game allow you to crash your car against another with practically no consequences in the race, I think the competition is broken and something is really failing. Beautiful replays do not care to me

Ive put the example of iracing because I think its the one that best reflects this idea. Apart from its safety rating system (that's another point), the main reason that people want to compete and run cleanly is just the fear and stress to wreck another car or to be wrecked, and not be able to finish the race. Because we unconsciously dont drive in the same way in a game that does not penalize driving badly with one that does, just as we would not drive the same way in a videogame as we would in real life. You talk about stress in a racing game as if it were something bad, for me it's a basic thing. If you remove that component it's like playing Mario Kart but with real loking cars.

I think that's what most of us refer when we talk about a "sim" vs a car racing game, a game that not only pretends to look like real life, but also forces you to behave as you would in real life. For me its not a marketing tool, its a word to difference two totally opposing video game styles.

It is true that iracing has problems with netcode, but in my experience they are quite punctual, and since the 2 years I've been racing there I have not seen any professional wrecker, although I suppose they will exist. The only wreckers I saw was in Rookie or D class, and probably after this time they are still there, or they just stopped racing. Even so, Iracing can not be blamed for having done a good damage model just because there are a few players who use it to annoy the others

Anyway I am not here to defend Iracing, I am in this forum because I love raceroom and I really think that this game has amazing potential and I would love it to be enhanced and improved the competition and the immersion. Updates like the manual box pittings are what excite me, not the releasing of the 100 Gt3 car, which I like, but think should not be a priority (but I'm not stupid and I understand your business model, Sector3 ;))

• Like Like x 2
    Last edited: Apr 15, 2017
  9. VinPetrol (Vinny Roberts)

Ratings:
    +25 / 0 / -0
    The problem with this thread now is that people are clearly not reading enough previous before posting, I'm not saying it over again anymore lol
    But thanks

10. VinPetrol (Vinny Roberts)

Ratings:
    +25 / 0 / -0
    Poll speaks for itself ;)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. Timmy L

Timmy L Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +76 / 0 / -0
    Mr Vin.
    I have looked at all the comments.
    And, I wish you luck.
    Your poll is an overwhelming success.
    51 votes.
    And 984 thread views...
    I wish you luck with your quest.

Mr Catacroken.

No, mine looks like theirs.

I wrote that...

As yet, death is not an option.

Joking aside; I understand what you mean, and want, however you hit another car and 9 times out of 10 you spin out, that my friend is a consequence.

'Run cleanly' and iracing does not, and never has gone together. I have not got enough space here to list examples...
    Try YouTube.

Both are the same thing.
    A video game.

Oh, you agree. Opposing, yet both video games..

In some adverts iracing has now started calling itself, 'The Original E-Sport Racing Game'...
    Key word is 'Game'.
    Iracing calling itself a 'game'.
    Which it is.
    A video game that simulates motorsport.

Marketing; 'The Original E-Sport Racing Game' is marketing. People using a search engine who put in 'racing, e-sports' will see iracing.
    Just like people who search for, 'sim, game, racing' will see iracing and others.
    The word 'sim' is a marketing term that has become the 'norm', to describe video car racing games.

If it is good, then why is it not finished?
    After years..
    Why are people still moaning about it, if it is a 'good damage model'.
    Again, have a look at YouTube for some wonderful examples of iracing's 'good damage model', and wonderful 'crash physics'.

Anyway, I am not falling out with you, I am just replying to you.
    Life would be very boring if we all agreed.
    I respect your point of view, and Mr Vin's view.

However, you missed my main point; try and not crash, motorsport is a non-contact sport....
    True?

That was funny..x

• Like Like x 1
  12. Tuborg

Tuborg Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +460 / 0 / -0
    57 now. I have done a lot of polls and I can say that 57 is not bad. Most people just read without commenting or voting.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. nate

nate Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +875 / 0 / -0
    Maybe we need a poll asking if this was a successful poll.... Any idea who should start it? :D

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
  14. Andy Blade

Andy Blade Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +302 / 0 / -0
    Think you just did

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  15. Christian G

Christian G Topological Agitator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +2,411 / 0 / -0
    I wonder how many more people would finish their mp races if we had a (more or less) realistic damage model. :p
    With the current (forgiving) model people tend to leave if they so much as spin once, just imagine the solitude after a couple laps, I predict ragequits everywhere.
    While realistic damage might make for fairer races in theory, it certainly will make for less crowded races.

• Agree Agree x 2
  16. VinPetrol (Vinny Roberts)

Ratings:
    +25 / 0 / -0
    The repays are epic in this game, I love putting in the hard work racing clean and fast lap after lap with other fast guys, then on another day when I'm too tired or had a drink I like to watch the amazing realistic TV style replays, everyone has worked so hard making the game feel, look and and sound as realistic as possible! But when a barrel roll happens it's painful to watch, its like a brick tumbling along, could look more real if the part loss damage sensitivity was simply increased, That's all!
    Some will disagree just to disagree as my idea would barely effect anyone else's game play as the car engine is sensitive anyhow!, just better visuals with crashes for those who appreciate realism.
    And what this "it's a game" nonsense? well let's just swap the wheels for wings then!! Don't be so stupid, I have a gaming pc so that I can experience realistic racing sims, ain't no X box game.
    The functions I'm referring to are all already in game, I just think it best that we see them at the right times! (Barrel roll or high speed hit) Lol

17. VinPetrol (Vinny Roberts)

Ratings:
    +25 / 0 / -0
    I agree that this could lessern numbers, but they would go where they're driving is more suited, amateur mode.
    The experience racers will be fine in get real mode and surely will appreciate it.
    As I say the DNF probability will not have to change. :)

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. VinPetrol (Vinny Roberts)

Ratings:
    +25 / 0 / -0
    If your okay with cars continuing in pristine condition after a 170mph barrel roll in 'get real mode' then so bit it, (hard to believe) but we could at least loose some parts so it looks right and player then has reduced performance? Surely :)

19. Catacroken

Catacroken Member

Ratings:
    +9 / 0 / -0
    This is the only part we agree on
    But you are a nice guy :D:D
    sorry guys, i already said that my English is horrible, and sometimes I have to use google translator :p

Okay, so since people do not finish races because they drive so badly, Why not eliminate any type of collision? Or better yet, put rails on the road so that nobody crashes and so everyone finishes the race and can be happy and not stress :D
    Let's be serious, people crash because they do not respect others, do not respect racing lines and braking distances, especially in the first laps. And in my opinion is because actually it does not matter if you drive safe or not, if you wreck someone and spin you can always return to the race. I still think that increasing damage model would penalize the wrecker more than is currently done, and would force people to drive more safely.
    Sorry to be so boring, but I really do not understand you. On the one hand you want realism, manual pittings, flags system, but then you dont want a real damage model ... for me this doesnt make sense.

Maybe the solution would be to leave the current damage model for amateur mode (but to be able to remove drive assists) and increase damage in get real ... dont know :confused:

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  20. VinPetrol (Vinny Roberts)

Ratings:
    +25 / 0 / -0
    Exactly my point! ! :)
    Everyone can be happy, stay in amatuer mode if you want simplicity and us adrenaline junkies hardcore racers can absorb more real action get real mode.
    I am a very all or nothing kind of perfectionist, drive myself mad at times, get real mode just seems half cooked to me atm.

• Like Like x 1