Graphics performance issues on some tracks [SOLVED!]

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by fdeutsch, Dec 6, 2017.

1. rockyv

rockyv New Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Just tested this with 36 GT3R AI's on Norisring, no stutter with shadows off...

But it's funny, when the setting for the "rear view mirror quality" isn't identical with "track texture quality" and "car texture quality", my virtual mirror is stuttering heavily (only the mirror). If all three settings are "medium" or even "high", no stuttering in the mirror.:rolleyes: :confused: o_O

2. rockyv

rockyv New Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    No FXAA is OFF here...

3. fdeutsch

fdeutsch New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    FXXA on/off makes no difference.

What does a difference is set the shadows to off (track shadows off, cars shadows still low). FPS improved and are more stable. Still there are places were FPS dip down to 58 even 55 (straight to Eau Rouge old pits, Pouhon and after Bruxelles).

4. fdeutsch

fdeutsch New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    OK guys,

I significantly improved my graphics performance on SPA. The issue was related to how I had configured my PCIe slot.

Reading this article (still cannot post links search tomshardware pci express scaling) I understand that there is a max bandwidth that can be shared among any PCIe slots your motherboard has. I have an old asus P8Z68 V LX which supports PCIe 2.0 spec. The board comes with 2 PCIe full slots for graphics cards and two small additional for other kind of devices (HD, network, etc.). With CPU-Z tool I realize I had a max bandwidth of x16 while my current link width was x4. What I had to do is went to the BIOS and reduce the bandwidth of the 2nd PCIe full slot to 4x, which seems that detects if there is no video card installed on it, provides all the bandwidth to the active graphics card. The BIOS option will vary from different manufacturers, so probably you would have to check your motherboard manuals. Mine was set to automatically.

Make sure CPU-Z shows your Link Width matches the Max supported (x16 in this case, before I had x4 on Link Width)

2017-12-10 18_16_26-Windows Shell Experience Host.png

I was able to increase track detail to medium and enable shadows to low. With those settings I can achieve 60 FSP almost all the time.

Interesting, this hardware setting did not affect the performance of other sims, like Assetto Corsa, so it may be related to how the graphics engine is implemented and how the PCIe is being used.

Hope this will help more than one. My system is not the best and I have read some people with better hardware are experiencing performance issues. Hope this may resolve their own scenarios.

Good luck.

• Informative Informative x 5
  5. ElNino

ElNino Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +475 / 0 / -0
    Thank you!! This lines up with previous issues ive had where swapping mobos fixed R3E stuttering issues. With recent issues returning, i will try this.

I have to say that is one heck of a find, nice job!!

• Like Like x 1
  6. higsy

higsy Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +123 / 0 / -0
    Hi mine says x8 and x16.
    Does this matter if I have 2 gpus?

Don't see On the bios where the value can be changed..i have a gigabits g1 sniper z87.

7. fdeutsch

fdeutsch New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    I think for two GPUs is OK. I am not sure if its possible to have x16 x16. Check your motherboard documentation on how you can change the PCIe configuration. Each vendor has its own naming for those settings.

8. TonyJ

TonyJ Member

Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0
    i will try.
    and with high reflexion and high blur i have sttutter even if i set very low graphics

9. Rexx Fernandez

Rexx Fernandez New Member

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    I've got a 2080Ti, it's set up correctly at 16x. It's just that Zuhai is not as optimised as some other tracks. On Zuhai i get around 30 fps and looks really choppy and edgy, switch to Blisterberg and others give me above 100 fps. same graphics settings.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Andy0340

Andy0340 New Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    I don't play in vr but will post this as hopefully it will help someone as it's made a huge difference to me .
    Since the December update I've been struggling with inconsistent frame rates and frame timing regardless off graphics settings or resolution , I know this because 1 it's been bad enough to see and feel with the naked eye , 2 I always use MSI afterburner / rivatuner . Pre update I was getting a rock solid 60fps with vsync on , since update I've been seeing drops as low as 40fps . Have tried every suggestion going with no success until this morning , two things I did differently was to turn CPU min usage in win10 power settings too 8 percent from 0 and run the game without MSI afterburner / rivatuner . Bingo !! Silky smooth 60fps again ( monitored with steam FPS overlay ) couldn't believe it ! Had just about given up , not sure if it's relevant to you vr users but hopefully will be useful to someone .

• Informative Informative x 2
  11. ravey1981

ravey1981 Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +873 / 0 / -0
    Rivatuner is an absolute killer for R3E. No idea why. Has caused loads of problems in the past.

• Agree Agree x 3
  12. Turtle Power

Turtle Power Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +302 / 0 / -0
    I am on triples.

Do we know what exactly is causing the frame drop issue? VERY ANNOYING! Such a great update and very crapy performance. :mad:

13. ravey1981

Ratings:
    +873 / 0 / -0
    Turn time of day multiplier to 0 (off) and see if your performance is better

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  14. Ablaze

Ablaze Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +120 / 0 / -0
    Can confirm. From 20 to 80 FPS at Zhuhai after deactivating dynamic time of day. That's just insane.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. ravey1981

Ratings:
    +873 / 0 / -0
    There's something not right with it, it will be investigated

• Useful Useful x 1
  16. Ablaze

Ablaze Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +120 / 0 / -0
  17. ravey1981

Ratings:
    +873 / 0 / -0
    A messenger at best....

18. ravey1981

Ratings:
    +873 / 0 / -0
    Can you give me brief info about your system. CPU, GPU etc. Is this poor performance with dynamic TOD only at certain tracks or an all around issue?

19. Ablaze

Ablaze Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +120 / 0 / -0
    @ravey1981
    My system specs are posted here. I tested with dynamic time of day on/off on a bunch of tracks (10 or so) but the performace drop was acceptable all around (Norschleife 24h 60 FPS on and 85 FPS off, sitting in the cockpit in the pit stall; other tracks are even less consuming). Only Zhuhai tanks the performance this bad. Lowering graphic setting won't do the trick, the CPU is limiting here.

• Like Like x 1
  20. FormelLMS

FormelLMS Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +229 / 0 / -0
    With time of day progression on the FPS go down on all tracks.