help - Content Server Error 20004

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Michal17, Feb 26, 2018.

1. Karting06

Karting06 Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +128 / 0 / -0
    I agree, @Arthur Spooner but then he would have an older BuildID.
    So, his version looks to be up to date (that's what Steam mentions with BuildID).

2. majuh

majuh Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +257 / 0 / -0
    I'd imagine that you need to verify the Steam game files one last time now that the bug that caused the missing content has been fixed on the Steam servers.

3. Arthur Spooner

Arthur Spooner Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +432 / 0 / -0
    It has not been fixed.

4. Karting06

Ratings:
    +128 / 0 / -0
    You didn't get the update?

5. Arthur Spooner

Ratings:
    +432 / 0 / -0
    Not on my laptop.

It was always this way: the update works automatically on my gaming rig, but on the laptop it doesn't download by itself. I always need to use the workaround to delete a game file and do an integrity check afterwards. Deleting the download cache doesn't help either. So I don't know if Steam has pushed the fix @J-F Chardon mentioned or not, but I know that if they did, it didn't help. ;)

6. Karting06

Ratings:
    +128 / 0 / -0
    Ah yeah, I remember that someone mentioned that one person (you) still had the problem.
    Sorry.

Your Steam version is updated, I suppose?

7. majuh

majuh Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +257 / 0 / -0
    It apparently had to be fixed only on the backend servers, maybe you need to verify your game files one last time to bring your local files back in line with the repository.

8. Karting06

Ratings:
    +128 / 0 / -0
    It was an issue from Steam side (so not R3E this time).

9. alexSchmurtz

alexSchmurtz Member

Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0
    The update does not seem to have done any improvement on my side: after a few days away I had several updates once I started Steam, but none for rre... And I get again an error 20004 message when I try to start the game! I'll delete the exe and verify again my files, but what a weird way to update a game! o_O

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. J-F Chardon

J-F Chardon KW Studios Developer

Ratings:
    +5,041 / 0 / -0
    Hello,

Here's the answer from Valve:

"It should be live. Could you have those users try clearing their download cache in Steam? That is available from the Settings > Downloads dialog."

• Winner Winner x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  11. Arthur Spooner

Ratings:
    +432 / 0 / -0
    I tried this with every update since then, BEFORE deleting a file and doing an integrity check. Unfortunately to no avail. :(

12. alexSchmurtz

alexSchmurtz Member

Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0
    Thank you for looking into it! I didn't clear the cache this time. I remember doing it at the previous update. I'll try again and let you know.

We just need a new update to test now...:p

• Funny Funny x 1
  13. Arthur Spooner

Ratings:
    +432 / 0 / -0
    Finally! For the first time since a year or so the Steam client on my laptop updates RaceRoom automatically! :) Seems like Valve have finally gotten their stuff in line... :D

• Wonderful Wonderful x 1
  14. Carstenh

Carstenh New Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Can someone please translate in german please ?

Because the error ist still here...

15. nate

nate Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +875 / 0 / -0
    Can you try to load the game again now please?

When you made your comment earlier, the game was in maintenance mode due to a patch being deployed. So, the game didn't work for anyone earlier today.

16. FloydSG

FloydSG New Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    like every update, error 20004 is coming back.
    I must so delete the two files rrre.exe and rrre64.exe, then, verify integrity with steam.
    it's crazy.... :angry:

17. alexSchmurtz

alexSchmurtz Member

Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0
    Yep, no change on my side too. Didn't see the update coming (auto-update is on for all my games) so cleared the Steam cache again; after log in Steam, still nothing. Verified files integrity, got an all good message. Then try to start the game, and again 2004 message.
    So yes, I have to delete the exe and verify integrity again to get up to date. Weird. I have few games but all others are updating automatically.

18. m.bohlken

m.bohlken Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +988 / 0 / -0
    Maybe you need to delet the Download-Cache, delete complete installation of Raceroom and download it from scratch to get it working again... but maybe wait till the next update. Maybe the clearing of Download-Cache und the update now was already enough...

19. Andi Goodwin

Andi Goodwin Moderator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +791 / 0 / -0
    i have two instals , one with testing branches on it and one with the live/end users game , both are on the same drive just in different folders , exact same steam settings ; the testing branches update automatically , the live version bugs , have to dance through the delete verify thing , have emptied the steam cache and that works until the next update ..... its a steam issue for me , not a R3E one

Andi