Lap Times in Competitions ..

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by M. Gordon, Feb 2, 2016.

1. M. Gordon

M. Gordon Member

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    II'm new Raceroom, and purchased DTM 2015. Yesterday I tried the DTM 2015 competition with the one lap time trial. Now I know I'm still not very good at this, but some of the times posted seem incredibly fast. I'm around 10 seconds behind the lap leader. Do all the cars use the same default settings? I get top speeds of around 145mph. I was wondering if there are videos I could watch for the other races so I can see how they can be that fast. Thanks.

• Informative Informative x 1
  2. Peter Koch

Peter Koch Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +191 / 0 / -0
    You can go to leader board challenge and choose a faster driver

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. M. Gordon

M. Gordon Member

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    Thanks that works with the ghost car of the other driver. I must say something just doesn't seem right to me. On the current DTM competition, I fully accelerate into the start line, but the ghost challenge just pulls away right from the start. I can comprehend the faster ghost taking turns much better than I, but i don't see how identical cars with same setup can have such different top speeds. What am I missing?

4. Sean Kenney

Sean Kenney Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +316 / 0 / -0
    some people are aliens, its crazy.

Join the rest of us normal guys.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Ouvert

Ouvert Active Member

Ratings:
    +42 / 0 / -0
    could be lots of reasons for it .. your braking is not as good as his, you might be missing corner entry, apex, corner exit, you might cary few kmh lower speed through corner that cause noticable difference on straight after that corner, you might use different aero/ dif/gearing settings, you might have worse throttle application, you might be using TC and he is not so he is accelerating faster, you are braking too late and therefore exiting slower, you are taking corner in wrong gear, ..
    If you bother to record video of you driving (with or witout that ghost) it would be easier for comunity to help you .. right know it is just guessing ..
    And as mentioned some people are aliens abusing/defying physics laws .. and some might be abusing car setup .. it is perfectly normal to be slower than those guys (they are few seconds faster than those cars runs IRL so ... I know it is a game :) .. )

• Agree Agree x 1
    Last edited: Feb 2, 2016
  6. M. Gordon

M. Gordon Member

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    Thanks. I'm sure I don't have the skill, set-up or time to become a jedi master at this. I thought that the competitions, like the current DTM 2015, don't allow modifications to the car to keep things as even as possible. If that is true then I am amazed at how fast the times are. There are some very skilled drivers on this simulator.

7. Tuborg

Tuborg Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +457 / 0 / -0
    This is how it feels until you find the right apex. Don't restart the competition if your behind, try to beat the ghost on next lap or the next or...

I guess that wery few of the best Times are done at the first lap.

• Agree Agree x 3
    Last edited: Feb 3, 2016
  8. Ouvert

Ouvert Active Member

Ratings:
    +42 / 0 / -0
    well every current major racing series is under some homologization and cars are usually well ballanced (air intake restrictor, weight balast, .. ) but team can still setup their car. Depends on rules of that racing serie which part is allowed but aero, suspension, usually gearing and others are mostly allowed

9. theravenousbeast

theravenousbeast Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +155 / 0 / -0
    Some of these fellas have been faster than the actual DTM drivers in R3E :)

10. Not Lifting Off

Not Lifting Off Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +368 / 0 / -0
    If your learning the tracks using the ghost dont restart a lap if you make a mistake early, keep going with it, otherwise you end up shit hot in the first 1/2 and shit in the 2nd, i know ;)
    As for the ghost pulling away too fast, check your gearing, make sure the last corner is as good as you can make it and dont start with a ghost 2 seconds or more faster than your best otherwise the gap is too obvious, hard close down and very disheartening.
    I would say use a ghost no more than 1 sec faster than your best unless you absolutely know you can go 2 better!

• Agree Agree x 5
  11. M. Gordon

M. Gordon Member

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    I am learning these fact as I go. I used the 1st place ghost and I lost site of it about 20 seconds into the lap. I wish I could see the dashboard hub for the faster ghost so I can gauge the speed, gear and shift points to improve my time.

• Funny Funny x 1
  12. Sean Kenney

Ratings:
    +316 / 0 / -0
    My tip is find a ghost a second or so ahead of you...too far is out of class. I will check out the 1st place ghost's line in and out of turns to make sure I am doing that part correct.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Mich Angel

Mich Angel Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +216 / 0 / -0
    Think most important is that you find a balance between your and the cars limit, where you know when you are on the limit and keep it just as close to that as you can without going over the edge. Then do lap after lap after lap.. the laps will eventually get quicker and quicker. I usually use my own fastest lap as ghost first 20-50 laps until I have beaten myself a couple times and driving behind my own ghost it's easier to see where I did wrong.. ;) Then I usually get going finding a faster driver in a range I think I can get to and go past use that as ghost until I do then take the next and so on.. ;)

Example of grinding a SS stage in R3E Hillclimb ;)

Same SS with a GR5 nissa silvia

• Agree Agree x 1
    Last edited: Feb 3, 2016
  14. Not Lifting Off

Not Lifting Off Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +368 / 0 / -0
    Dont htink you can see the ghosts speed.
    As for shift, if you look at the racing line on the road, you do have that enabled? You will see a little white line making a cross, this is the shift point of the ghost you are following, notice the green racing line is dark then light, throttle and lift the darker the line the more throttle, if it goes light he\she has lifted, slowing, braking or something like that.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. ozcanuck55

ozcanuck55 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +145 / 0 / -0
    My best Spielberg time ever in the new DTM is woeful and haven't even done that in the challenge yet.....I have a plate here with my ass on it. Thanks for the tips.

16. M. Gordon

M. Gordon Member

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    How are your best times captured for the leaderboard for a competition? I challenged a faster driver, and while I did not beat them, I improved my lap speed be almost 2 seconds. I was motivated by that accomplishment. However, when I check the leaderboard, my old time is still posted with no credit for the faster time. Is that how it works? You have to win the challenge to get credit for improved time? If so, I think that should be changed.

17. mjayy

mjayy Member

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    If you challenge the laptime of someone you have to be faster as the laptime otherwise your own laptime will not count

• Disagree Disagree x 2
  18. M. Gordon

M. Gordon Member

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    That's tough. Also, I just noticed than when I run a lap in the competition (not challenging anyone), it shows my time to beat as a time I ran previous to my currently posted best time, so the ghost is running a slower pace than my current best lap. That didn't make sense to me.

19. mjayy

mjayy Member

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    Thats a bug, had the same problem a few times

20. Sean Kenney

Ratings:
    +316 / 0 / -0
    I don't think that is true, well at least not for me. I rarely beat the ghost and my lap times count.

• Agree Agree x 1