Loving it!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Jynn, Jun 7, 2015.

1. Jynn

Jynn Member

Ratings:
    +24 / 0 / -0
    Ok thanks. So then in order to take advantage of vRP bulk discounts, I need to buy vRP first, but it's kind of weird that there is nowhere to buy vRp on the main store page. I found this page where you can buy vRP: https://www.raceroomstore.com/shop_en/vrp , but I had to make a new account there, and I don't see how it will be linked to my main raceroom account, so I guess I'm worried it's a scam site or something.

Also I'm unclear exactly what an 'experience' is, is it a hard coded championship with set rules, or is it just a case of getting the cars and tracks and it's now up to you to make a custom championship? So for example, if I buy the european track pack, and then buy 1 car from DTM14, will I still be able to enjoy the full benefit of the 'DTM14 experience'?

• Informative Informative x 1
  2. Dave R

Dave R Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +576 / 0 / -0
    It's not a scam site. You buy the VRP from your link and it will email you a code. You then redeem that code on game.raceroom.com and it will add those points to your account. They're both owned by S3S. The experience is basically a game within a game. It has it's own section, own sets of rules, and it's own season mode. The DTM 2014 cars can only be bought as part of the experience. They cannot be bought as single cars yet. Hope that helps

3. Jynn

Jynn Member

Ratings:
    +24 / 0 / -0
    ah I see, thanks.

4. ElNino

ElNino Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +475 / 0 / -0
    From what i've seen so far, if you want to play the full single player championship season in DTM, WTCC, etc, then you must buy the experiences - which are basically separate games with their own single player section and multiplayer lobbies (which for me have been empty, have not checked lately though). Seems worth it if you are a fan of any particular series (I am not, but still bought one of the experiences and had some fun in single player doing a season)

5. Jynn

Jynn Member

Ratings:
    +24 / 0 / -0
    ok so one last question, if I haven't exceeded your guys patience level already:blush:. I see DTM13 is nearly half the price of DTM14, is there a very good reason in terms of physics/ handling to get dtm14? Also I'm hoping to play some multiplayer with it, which would be better for that?

6. James Cook

James Cook Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,013 / 0 / -0
    I think this thread perfectly demonstrates how convoluted and confusing the purchasing process can be to new players.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. Dave R

Dave R Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +576 / 0 / -0

The physics between the two are different and of course the schemes and rules are different. I had the same quandry. Here's a few pros and cons for each

DTM 2013
    Pros
    Can be raced on any track in single player or Multiplayer
    Cheaper than DTM 14

Cons
    Different Physics
    2013 paint schemes and cars
    No pit stop rules and no option tires

DTM 14
    Pros
    Updated Physics
    Updated schemes, cars, required pit stops and option tires

Cons
    Can only be raced inside the experience (both single player and Multiplayer)

If you're fine with 2013 cars then I'd say go for the 2013's. You can race em on any track, plus chances are the 2015s will be out later. Keep in mind though that you'll still need to purchase either the 2013 DTM experience or the Euro Trackpack to get the tracks you need for a season. Hope that helps.

8. Jynn

Jynn Member

Ratings:
    +24 / 0 / -0
    Some further impressions after spending a bit of time

- Sound is sublime, not just the phenomenal ambient and engine noise, but also when a tyre locks, I KNOW EXACTLY WHICH ONE! I mean wow! This is useful for more than just immersion factor, as I can then adjust brake bias accordingly if I want to. Sound alone just leaves all other sims in the dust. One realises after playing RRE that yes there is more than just engine noise and some tyre squeal when you’re racing a car.

- Multiplayer is alive and well and I’m loving it because:
    o People are racing a variety of tracks and cars, not just GT’s on Spa,Spa, Spa, Spa

o Barrier to entry that you can only join when in qualifying is great. Everyone who is on the server during the race has got skin in the game and has not just joined and doesn’t care if he wrecks you or not.

o It’s possible to make contact with other cars without a mini hand grenade magically appearing and blowing up your car *cough* assetto corsa *cough*, or the lightest touch magically bending your front axle making the car undriveable *cough* Iracing*. Just seems more like what you see in real life where there are plenty of scrapes going on.

- Physics are fantastic, if I were to compare:

o Feels like what RF2 is trying to be, very detailed FFB telling you what the car is doing, the difference is RF2 just wants to kill you all the time. I refuse to believe I’m so bad at driving that I would die twice a lap which RF2 would have me believe.

o Similar feel to Assetto Corsa, but the FFB destroy’s AC’s. (I still love AC though)

o I just did a RUF cup race on Iracing and it made me kinda sad, seeing how basic IR’s physics are in comparison. Incomprehensible lack of grip at low speeds, with skid control being virtually impossible. (not that I will stop playing IR, the multiplayer aspect is such a huge drawcard)

So in conclusion I think I just found a new sim racing home. Thanks to all in this thread who helped me get setup :)

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • Wonderful Wonderful x 1
  9. nate

nate Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +875 / 0 / -0
    Just a note that I think would be relevant here...

The DTM 2013 cars also have "updated physics" as I recall. They do feel different than the DTM 2014 cars, but I believe that is true to real life as well, which is then modeled in the game. If I remember correctly, the DTM 2013 cars have more aero grip, and less mechanical grip than their 2014 counterparts. So that right there is a pretty big difference on how the cars will feel respective to each other.

Other than that though, pretty good assessment. I would almost recommend the 2013 version first because you can race those cars on any track... Then once you realize just how addictive the DTM cars are... you'll be even more excited to get the 2014 version cars. They are quite a blast alright! :D

10. Jynn

Jynn Member

Ratings:
    +24 / 0 / -0
    Yes I got the 2013 for now and started a championship, omg these cars are just absolute beasts, but still controllable. Mind is blown!

• Winner Winner x 1
  11. Richard Powell

Richard Powell Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +108 / 0 / -0
    Sounds like you'll be adding to your garage collection soon enough. There's a lot of good MP action in ADAC, WTCC, and DTM '92 classes as well.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Jynn

Jynn Member

Ratings:
    +24 / 0 / -0
    yeh I already bought the Audi '92 dtm, and corvette GT3 to play online, and got my eye on the bmw for WTCC. One disappointment is that when you buy the car, you still have to buy liveries if you want anything other than the default, leaves a bit of a bad taste in one's mouth. It's a minor quibble though.

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. Richard Powell

Richard Powell Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +108 / 0 / -0
    Yeah, I pigged out and bought packs.