Non Existing Coverage From Big Channels On Youtube!??..

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by heppsan, Dec 31, 2015.

1. Peter Koch

Peter Koch Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +191 / 0 / -0
    Didn't know anyone would still watch it since Jessica left.

• Funny Funny x 5
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. Pastor_Chris

Pastor_Chris Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +108 / 0 / -0
    Its still decent. But not like the golden days of Jessica and Shaun

3. St3fan

St3fan Member

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    John Sabol appears to be really enjoying his job and I'm happy for him.

4. Thomas Cameron

Thomas Cameron Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +53 / 0 / -0
    I agree, the live broadcast is a great watch,a great laugh in the live chat too.

They also said the would be doing an after show race session using raceroom with the community.:)

Should be a laugh if nothing else.

Cheers

5. EmptyBox007

EmptyBox007 New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Someone made me aware of this thread, so I figured I'd pop my head in. Here is why I don't cover R3E much. Warning long post... but maybe this will help - or at least explain my absence of coverage.

Mind you, as I've stated before in my Macau / WTCC 14 video they sent me access to all of the content. Fun fact : S3 are the only ones who have sent me anything free or early. Also want to make it clear that if it were about view counts for me, I'd only upload AC, DiRT Rally or Project CARS. My iRacing stuff, which is what I post most commonly, is my least popular type of video on a view count basis. o_O So throw those reasons out the window for me.

I will say, I bet most of the individuals mentioned in this thread are the same as I am in that regard despite what many may think. One does not get into making sim racing videos on youtube for views - unless they are idiots.

1. I'm not a news site, I do not pretend that I will provide fair and equal coverage to all the games out there, I simply promise that I'll give the game a fair and legitimate shot when I do. I'm a dude who plays video games just like you - why don't you make videos on xxxxxxxxx game? ;)

2. Recent content*. The TT? I don't care about it. Yet to drive it and don't feel a reason to. FR2? Not enough for me to click the button frankly. Buriram? Meh - though a cool unique track to R3E. DTM 2015? I was MIA for a month around that time and the update and content was nothing I felt the need to come back and showcase. As for that GT3 update - maybe I spent so much time tweaking my FFB for the Group 5 cars I frankly didn't notice much of a difference compared to what some people claim it did.

I will guarantee you though when the GTOs and Nords come out there will be stuff from me.

3. *Raceroom itself. Outside of the unique content on offer and series specific rules, what does this game offer over the competition? Couple that with the F2P / design bullcrap that has stunted this game from the get go - why play it? (as in imagine if we could custom sort cars, create skins and such - lightweight modding if you will)

Then the perpetual "beta"-ness of this game....

This isn't me saying I don't like the game because I do like it when I play it, but I rarely find myself firing it up outside of around the updates because I can play something better unless I need a dosage of Deathtrap Corvette or the '92 Mustang. And unless there is a reason or a need, I generally don't post random offline races I do.

TL;DR - the game isn't terrible, but it isn't winning in a stand up fight in an overcrowded market.

You realize that the Project CARS video you linked was about 3 months before the eventual release date? I mean the video's title even states it was a month and a half before the original planned released... Smaller stuff that should have been fixable in the time frame didn't get fixed and that is why the game fell on it's face. My review when the game was finally released pretty much reflected this - you got burned just as I did. Such is the risk of pre-ordering any game.

And frankly, where Project CARS and R3E were last January they were pretty dang close to one another, though S3S has clearly done more to change and improve their game.

• Informative Informative x 7
    • Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2016
  6. Kostadin Kostadinov

Kostadin Kostadinov Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +84 / 0 / -0
    Mr Orr, thanks for tuning in. While I don't think you need to explain yourself about what you're publishing on your own channel. Taking the time to do so, is much appreciated.

I feel that "the game isn't terrible, but it isn't winning in a stand up fight in an overcrowded market" is a bit harsh, and it has a few features that makes me fire it up at night more frequently than the other sims (yes I play them all, except iRacing). I think it can stand it's ground well enough, but hey that's your opinion. Hopefully as new features and content come from S3 (as this is the fastest improving game for me) the game itself will be good enough to change your feelings and the coverage will come naturally.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Christian G

Christian G Topological Agitator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +2,411 / 0 / -0
    Maybe I'm misinterpreting things here as English isn't my native tongue, but for me this is an odd thing to say. Maybe because I revert those questions, why not play it and what do the other games offer over it? What should it do or provide for you to get interested?
    To me that sounds a bit like saying I've watched a race once, cars going round in circles, why watch another?

• Agree Agree x 3
  8. mr_belowski

mr_belowski Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +1,307 / 0 / -0
    Seems like a reasonable enough response to me. While I don't agree with some of his points, they're all quite reasonable.

I've tried to enjoy all the recent racing games and have reasonable opinions (good and bad) on each of them which some folk will no doubt (perfectly reasonably) disagree with. Just like EmptyBox's youtube channel reflects his gaming preferences, my app's game support does the same.

[edit] that's too many "reasonables" for one response, and *far* too many "reasonables" for one forum post

• Like Like x 2
  9. Frankymoe

Frankymoe Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +74 / 0 / -0
    Very easy to say:
    1. Sound, Sound, Sound .... big lead over any other sim
    2. best graphics (behind PCars)
    3. best AI (since last update)
    4. best Content without modding
    5. very good physics (updated classes)
    6. best netcode (eye level with IRacing)
    As proof for graphics, sound and netcode watch and enjoy the following VRTCC League Race (Race Start: 31:00):

• Like Like x 4
  10. Christian G

Christian G Topological Agitator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +2,411 / 0 / -0
    Yea, reasonable enough for me to force myself away from being sarcastic.
    I'm genuinely asking, what should a racing sim provide for him to be interested? Cause from my pov saying "all they have is unique content" is a bit strange. That's 90 % of what sets all those games apart...

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. bakayoyo

bakayoyo Active Member

Ratings:
    +28 / 0 / -0
    The thing about EmptyBox is that he is a damn good video maker, his videos are usually entertaining and he is eloquent about voicing his opinions. Because of this people tend to see him as a game critic, someone who tries to establish if a game is objectively good or not. I think he indicates here himself that this is not what he is trying to do, him being "a dude who plays video games". He also seems to have a bias for North American content, whereas Raceroom has an exceptionally strong lineup of European content. On the other hand some of his opinions, like the third point in his post, do come across as objective statements which combined with the authority he brings will always cause more reaction than when some random dude expresses them. So there's that too...

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  12. Frankymoe

Frankymoe Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +74 / 0 / -0
    That`s the point, bakayoyo! I like the videos from EmptyBox too, but in my opionion point 3 shows, that he didn`t give R3E a fair chance lately. EmptyBox should not forget: "With great power comes great responsibility" ;)
    But it`s better he don`t make any R3E Videos than he claims:
    Outside of the unique content on offer and series specific rules, what does this game offer over the competition? Couple that with the F2P / design bullcrap that has stunted this game from the get go - why play it?

13. MsportDan

MsportDan Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    im gonna put one out for RRE here, and i think it is vastly overlooked as a great feature.!

Thats the Adaptive AI, being an offline player I've always been after an setting that calculates my ai skill for m, based on my speed... RR does that!!! A brilliant feature imo, and the likes of RF2 etc Definitely could benefit from this. Well done S3 for devising this.!

• Like Like x 4
  14. Kostadin Kostadinov

Kostadin Kostadinov Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +84 / 0 / -0

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  15. James Cook

James Cook Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,013 / 0 / -0
    Just wanted to make a few comments on @EmptyBox007 's post. I appreciate him coming here and giving his thoughts on R3E.

I would agree with this. The physics and FFB updates were a step in the right direction but not enough of a marked change. Plenty will disagree with me here but R3E is behind the best of the genre in terms of physics and FFB feel. In
    particular, I feel that getting satisfactory FFB is still a convoluted, time-consuming process, as evidenced by the lengthy discussion threads on here and other forums. Compare to SCE and rF2, which are pretty much 'plug-and-play' yet still provide more detailed, communicative FFB as far as I'm concerned.

This is the problem.

- The sales model isn't popular.
    - The game is seen as expensive compared to the competition (well, except iRacing).
    - The lack of modding support, particularly custom paint jobs, will limit it's popularity with a large chunk of the community and stop it becoming a popular league platform.
    - Lacks some basic car setup options and saved setups.
    - The always online requirement.

These factors make R3E a hard sell in a niche market, resistant to change.

To be fair, all 'current-gen' sims are in a perpetual beta state, whether that is officially declared or not. The only game that could make a case to be a finished article is SCE due to the age and stability of the platform it's based on. Project CARS claimed it was finished but was released far too early and as a result was a broken mess that still hasn't been fixed up.

I'm fine with the continual development thing as that's inevitably the way forward for small teams with limited resources working in the niche racing simulation market. What I'm not OK with is the 'beta' tag when a game is a commercially available product. Just call it what it is - continual development - as ISI do with rF2.

R3E is a very good game, but yes, you're right - it's clearly not doing as well as it should be. It's not deep enough for the hardcore simmer, it doesn't have the mainstream appeal for the more casual simmer and it doesn't have enough to offer for online communities. R3E is in its own kind of unremarkable place where it's sold on strength of content and the immersion factor, but scratch beneath the surface and it's quite a shallow experience.

Don't get me wrong, this isn't me going off R3E in any way, I'm just expressing what I have felt about this product for a long time. I realise that many of the things R3E lacks are being worked on and will be added in due course, but in the here-and-now its easy to see (in my opinion) why R3E isn't a hit with the sim racing community. It's a game that started out life as something else entirely and is being retro-fitted with sim features. Sector3 has done a commendable job thus far, but I'm not sure this game will ever reach the level of success nor be viewed with as much fondness as RACE 07.

• Agree Agree x 3
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2016
  16. le_poilu

le_poilu Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +278 / 0 / -0
    Gamer muscle did a live stream on twitch tonight, playing only r3e.
    He mostly played FR2, I was able to join the game so did @J-F Chardon. We had fun quick races. :)

Everything is not lost for r3e in the gaming community :p

• Like Like x 2
  17. shardshunt

shardshunt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +490 / 0 / -0
    Was fun

18. le_poilu

le_poilu Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +278 / 0 / -0
    Yep.. Close race in front. No mistake allowed ^_^