App Offical release of Crew chief version 4 - auto updating and shiny

Discussion in 'Community Workshop' started by mr_belowski, Jul 29, 2015.

1. Skybird

Skybird Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +803 / 0 / -0
    I downloaded again, deleted the old and put in the new.

I checked in windows,. both versions were 3.1, both folders were the same size and had the same number of objects/folders.The folders you asked for, also were there, plus sound files in them.

THE ISSUE IS GONE.

I cannot explain why and what happened, it just dissapeared. I did two SP races in Audi TT Cup at Suzuka Short and Hockenheim Short, pit windows opening and closing now were correctly announced, and the "Box this lap" cal" came in the last possible lap.

What I noticed is that in earlier versions, the "box this lap call" came more or less exactly at the middle of the pit window, while now it seems to be an urgency call in the last possible lpa in poit window to remiond the player that he need to pit now, else would be penalised. Good design change!

Sorry for having you send into work there, Mr_Belowski, but I am as clueless as you are on what happened with the earlier installation. As I said: same folder size, same number of objects in both downloads. Most likely scenario seems to be some kind of data corruption during traveling down the wire.

Anyway, problem solved. Thanks.

2. mr_belowski

mr_belowski Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +1,307 / 0 / -0
    The design hasn't changed here - the app will calculate the box-this-lap point based on the time left and your best laptime, with a bit of a margin. So sometimes it'll be quite tight, sometimes less so. If you ignore the call you should get another reminder with a bit more urgency.

Glad its all working tho, no idea what happened there

3. rbn

rbn Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +69 / 0 / -0
    Is it possible to start with Pcars from the command line?
    I know there is RACE_ROOM as argument but is there one for Pcars also?

Also is it possible to autostart from the commandline?
    Some something like ChefChiefV3.exe RACE_ROOM -start

I know there is the option to start automatically when CC is launched, but that has to be enabled first.
    I am adding an option in the app I created to launch the Chief.
    But from a user friendliness point of view it would be nice to start the app instantly from the command line without setting any option.

4. Nils Herbstrieth

Nils Herbstrieth Member

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    Hello Chief,
    i sent you a message via "conversations", maybe you can have a look at it ...
    Greetings Nils

5. mr_belowski

Ratings:
    +1,307 / 0 / -0
    Sorry Nils, I did get it - and a few others over the last couple of days that I still need to respond to. Its a nice logo - I'll see if I can include it as an icon :)

6. Gorgoms

Gorgoms Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +51 / 0 / -0
    Hi mr_belowski,

I enjoyed a lot your crewchief application, the game is more better and real, i was using the 3.8.2 version.

I tried to install the 3.9.8 version due to the incompatibility of the 3.8.2 version with the last R3E update but when i launch the executable the application doesn't open... i tried to delete the complete folder and install again but not works, i tried to download again but doesn't work... i'm using windows 10 x64... what can i do?

Thanks a lot in advance...

7. mr_belowski

Ratings:
    +1,307 / 0 / -0
    first of all, the latest version is 3.10.0 - download this (with the sound pack) and try again. If it still doesn't work, have a look in the Windows Event logs for a .Net application error

8. Stefan Mizzi

Stefan Mizzi Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +625 / 0 / -0
    Jim, why don't you implement the Auto download/update? Its really handy mate and there are some ready made components out there easy to use/plugin into your project. If interested, I can tell you which one I've used as very happy with it.

Cheers

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • Wonderful Wonderful x 1
  9. Gorgoms

Gorgoms Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +51 / 0 / -0
    Updated to 3.10 and it works fine. Thanks!

10. AzkarateAsi

AzkarateAsi Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +72 / 0 / -0
    Hey @mr_belowski i just announcd your app in my @RaceRoomES twitter account

11. Tarik Userli

Tarik Userli Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +578 / 0 / -0
    Yeah autoupdate. Best when we can choose in options which sound content we want to update (lofi or standard sounds)

12. .OG Isaac

.OG Isaac Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +173 / 0 / -0
    He'd need a server for that i think. The download is now hosted differently.. I think that's too much of a big step for a small independent app developer.. (cost-wise)

Would be neat as tits though

13. Stefan Mizzi

Ratings:
    +625 / 0 / -0
    It surely wasn't a big step for "another independent app developer" like me :)

And no, he does not need a server at all. He can upload the files like he is doing and link it to it.

Now something else Jim, I think that it is very practical for you to put all the setting in the CrewChiefV3.exe.config but its a very bad idea as the settings I do with every update of yours are lost.

I have to go to the config file and set everything again. Or I have to compare the new vs old and just add the new ones. Apart from that, it would be nice for users to see all setting in the app UI too rather than text in the config...

User data should never be saved within the app folder itself but in the windows document etc folders as with every update the settings would be lost.

Anyways, enjoying your app mate and these are just my 2 cents :)

14. mr_belowski

Ratings:
    +1,307 / 0 / -0
    That's a bug Stefan, it should be using the settings in the /user/AppData folder and these should be persistent. I'll have a look into it.

I do intend to do the auto update stuff, need to sort out the packaging and build script first

15. Stefan Mizzi

Ratings:
    +625 / 0 / -0

Ah ok cool. For packaging I use the free version of http://www.createinstall.com/download-free-trial.html find it quite handy.

As for auto update, I use https://autoupdaterdotnet.codeplex.com/ (forgot if you're using C# or something else)

16. mr_belowski

Ratings:
    +1,307 / 0 / -0
    I think that might be the one I looked into. It assumes your app is distributed as a single installer file. So I need to sort my packaging out - should be easy enough but finding the time is a challenge.

Still, reworking all that will allow me to increment the major version number and get rid of that nasty .10 in the current version :)

17. Stefan Mizzi

Ratings:
    +625 / 0 / -0
  18. le_poilu

le_poilu Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +278 / 0 / -0
    Even if I was one of the first asking for auto update and i'de love to have it, a small idea may be to have a update check function.
    I think it can be done pretty easily, when launching the app or with a dedicated button juste to check if there is a new version, and give a link to download it if it's the case.

The main issue now is that we have to check regularly here to see if you've updated the app.
    An auto check would be a big improvement, it'll give you time to do the auto updater after.

19. shardshunt

shardshunt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +490 / 0 / -0
    one small thing i have noticed is that the spotter always gives me shit for being slow on the outlap from the pits.
    and he always complains about the dtm92 bmw having oil and water temps too high.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. AzkarateAsi

AzkarateAsi Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +72 / 0 / -0
    Very happy with the app ifyou can add my name (Asier Azkarate) it would be nice
    Thanks for this app