App Offical release of Crew chief version 4 - auto updating and shiny

Discussion in 'Community Workshop' started by mr_belowski, Jul 29, 2015.

1. Stefan Mizzi

Stefan Mizzi Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +625 / 0 / -0
    Jim, on some systems I had issues where the new files were not overwriting the old ones so I am kicking the uninstaller first to remove everything (except local user files of course) and install everything again

2. mr_belowski

mr_belowski Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +1,307 / 0 / -0
    that's weird Stefan... Not sure if there's much I can do about that TBH

3. mr_belowski

Ratings:
    +1,307 / 0 / -0
    The update with all this personalisation support is mostly ready to rock. I just need to finish tagging the existing sound files so the app's aware of which ones it can add additional sounds to, where to put them, which additional sound to use, and whether having this additional sound is optional or required.

For the initial release it'll all be optional, so unless you have these magic prefix and suffix sound files there will be no functional difference. The ground-work to make all this work will be installed by auto updater for the app, and the auto updater for the sound pack, so there'll be nothing needed for the user other than (if they want to) to place the additional sounds in the right location.

I'll create a pack of these additional sounds using a randomly chosen name. The random name generator has, amazingly, come up with "Jim", so unless you're called "Jim", using this pack will sound weird but it'll give you an idea of what it'll sound like

• Like Like x 2
  4. Azfalt Raser

Azfalt Raser Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +162 / 0 / -0
    great question.....

as I remember it was always after turn 10 at Oschersleben - down stadium straight.
    Other parts of the track, I didn't take the time to look. I just gave room. I think I noticed it more at turn 10, only because you have to drive single file through turns 8 & 9, so I was surprised for the spotter to indicate a car was next to me as I accelerated out of turn 10.

I will do a desktop recording and hopefully full audio/video can show what I'm talking about. I'll send you a link once I'm done.

5. Kurvz

Kurvz New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hi great app thanks for that my friends are all happy with it, myself I can not get it to install.
    I have installed it tot he default folder and also tried to direct to a location of my choice still after installation I can run the app but once I have closed the app i can not find it anywhere on my PC :( Vers 4 im running win 10 64.
    When running it after installation I tried PCARS and I had nothing.

So I cant install it proper and I can run it in PCARS either:( any help would be great.

Thanks in advance Kurvz

6. Azfalt Raser

Azfalt Raser Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +162 / 0 / -0
    after experience this some more, I think it must be the closing speeds. The AI is probably anticipating the car being left or right as I close on the car in front of me. In slow corners, I do not get the message, but it does say "right side is clear"
    In fast sections, I get both messages. "left side" "Left side is clear".

Another message, which confused me at first, "keep your wits, there is traffic behind" as I'm driving down the pitlane exit. Even though i didn't see any cars behind me or on that section of track.

Still, it's too good an app to worry about those messages.

7. AV-RONALDAO

AV-RONALDAO New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hi,
    It can set up so that the audio output is targeted to a specific device ?
    I wish it were directed to my handset instead of the device standard PC.

8. mr_belowski

Ratings:
    +1,307 / 0 / -0
    Hey guys,

Bit of family stuff going in at the moment, its hard to find time to keep on top of all the support stuff, so sorry for going quiet.

No idea why the installer would work then leave no apparent trace of the app on the system Kurvz. It should create a start menu shortcut to the app, which should be in program files/britton IT Ltd/crewchiefv4/

Binding to another audio device isn't supported but if you set your headset to be default, start the app, then change it so your speakers are default before launching the game it might work.

Fixed some spotter issues too

The pit exit warnings are in the to do list
    Managed to make a video of the new stuff in action, will edit it down a bit and upload it soon

• Like Like x 1
  9. Kurvz

Kurvz New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hi again..

The app is installing because when i run the installer I have the option to Modify Repair or uninstall just isn't showing up, tried it on my other pc different spec and the same thing :(

Is there a way i can try vers 3 ? is it still downloadable ?

Last edited: Jan 19, 2016
  10. mr_belowski

Ratings:
    +1,307 / 0 / -0
    That's really odd. If it shows up in add / remove programs, and gives the modify / repair option then it must be installed *somewhere*. Perhaps it's under a different user account, or there are multiple 'program files' locations on your PCs?

Version 3 (including the hi-fi sound pack) is here: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B4KQS820QNFbN1VfZHRZMDdSc1k
    the lo-fi sound pack is here: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B4KQS820QNFbS0N3emliWW9ONHc
    the lo-fi driver names are here: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B4KQS820QNFbdEd2b1FFQS1ldFE

I made a quick highlight reel of a DTM 2014 race (bloody love the DTM 2014 experience) which shows the current state of the personalisation stuff. This work isn't finished - there's too much repetition of the personalised phrases, but it's getting there

• Like Like x 4
  11. Kurvz

Kurvz New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Thank you very much see if have better luck now

12. Kurvz

Kurvz New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Wow mate that did the job, thank you for the help and I cant wait to try in tomorrows league race

13. Skidmark

Skidmark Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +232 / 0 / -0
    Pole on last qualifying lap bug

Hi Jim,

I'm loving all the improvements you have been making and really enjoyed the video, particularly the bit (at 3:45-ish) where you came out of the pits and you had a car on your left that you couldn't see at all until after turn 1, yet CrewChief kept you perfectly well informed as to where it was the whole way. Brilliant. Must be very satisfying to program that and have it work so well... :)

I'm on version 4.0.3.5 and there's still a small bug that I have previously mentioned.

If you manage to put yourself on pole in the final lap of qualifying, having previously been further down the field, your CrewChief announces your previous position at the end of the session.

Just then at Oschersleben I was somewhat disappointed to hear you say "That's P5" :eek: at the end of the session/lap as I thought I'd nailed it. Turned out I had as when the results flashed up there I was on pole. :cool:

I'm not sure if its fixable as the session may end with updating the data you are accessing???

I suspect also that this will always be an issue if your last qualifying lap, occurring after the 'end' of the session, is your best whether pole or not.

Thanks again for the app!

14. mr_belowski

Ratings:
    +1,307 / 0 / -0
    I think that is all down to the data in the shared memory.

I've updated the app to 4.1.0.0. This contains a really big chunk of internal rework to better manage the sounds, fixes a lot of issues, and adds some new functionality. It might also add some new bugs so please shout it you spot anything.

Please let the auto updater for the application do its thing before downloading the soundpack update. Note that the sound pack update doesn't include any new events - it's just a bunch of file renaming to support personalisation.

The app caches sounds in an LRU cache, with some permanent members (like the spotter sounds) to reduce latency. This caching can be turned off entirely so the app will load each sound from disk just before it's played. The app seems to work fine like this, but I've included it mainly as a trouble shooting option and to make the process of creating and refining sound packs a bit less painful.

The personalisation stuff is still not finished, but it is included in this update (as long as you update the app before letting it download the new sound pack). You can confirm that the sound pack has been updated properly by checking [user]/local/AppData/CrewChiefV4/sounds/voice/conditions/seeing_some_rain/ - the sound files should have names like "op_prefix_ok_1.wav".

If this hasn't worked, close the app and delete the [user]/local/AppData/CrewChiefV4/ folder. Restart the app and let it re-download the base sound pack (which has been updated).

The personalisation stuff needs additional files to work - the prefixes and suffixes. I've got a (not finished) set of these which use the name "Jim", if you want to try it out. There's a zip file on Google Drive here : https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B4KQS820QNFbLTk3Q2pBenotMzg/view?usp=sharing

Extract the prefixes_and_suffixes folder to your [user]/local/AppData/CrewChiefV4/sounds folder (so this new prefixes_and_suffixes folder is in the same directory as /voice/, /driver_names/, /fx/ and /background_sounds/

Restart the app and it should start calling you Jim :)

• Like Like x 2
  15. Wobbly

Wobbly Member

Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0
    Great app nice job I have just installed it the crew chief acting as a spotter has helped me on track a lot its very good be even better if he would call me wobbly :)

16. mr_belowski

Ratings:
    +1,307 / 0 / -0
    He will be able to call you wobbly soon, but it'll be for a small fee (would love to do it for free but the missus has put her foot down)

17. Wobbly

Wobbly Member

Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0
    lol...Really what dose your missus charge lol joke......What is the small fee :)

18. ::SKRO::

::SKRO:: Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +972 / 0 / -0
    Don't know if it has been reported yet, but yesterday I had a bug where crew chief would start saying that the cars ahead went pitting while they weren't (and it repeated it like 5/6 times in a row without interruption).

19. mr_belowski

Ratings:
    +1,307 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for the bug report fella (was going to call you Honey there...) I'll look at that tonight. That was happening a few builds back and I thought I'd squashed it, perhaps I've broken something with my incessant meddling ;)

Regarding "a small fee", this isn't really decided yet. It depends how long it takes me to make a single 'personalisation pack'. Starting next week (or this weekend if I can keep the kids quiet for long enough to record anything) I'll create set of free sample ones and work out from that what I'd need to charge to make it worthwhile. It's not going to be a lot - perhaps 4 or 5 pounds and will likely include your first name (or nickname) which the app will use when addressing you, and your last name (or in-game name) which will be added to the app's opponent drivers list. But like I said this isn't decided yet, it depends on the work involved. The initial free 'sample' ones will use names of those more generous donations as a thankyou.

I want to make it clear that this is optional and the app will in no way require it, and having it won't make the app smarter or more functional - it's simply an added 'immersion' thing for users who want it. I will also continue to support and extend the app in its current form

20. Wobbly

Wobbly Member

Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0
    Sounds good I will look out for future updates.
    Just by using the crew chief as a spotter helped a great deal while racing :)