Please the M1 why is it so bad....

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Loki-D, Apr 10, 2020.

1. Loki-D

Loki-D Member

Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0
    well having played ams2 a lot recently jumping onto RRE then this car was a huge disappointment, just feels way off and as i said more like a hovercraft then a car, tyres didnt dig in, the inputs felt vague.

So i jumped into a grp5 capri and it felt alive - so if it is on older physics lol leave it!

So on that note illl just leave the m1 in the garage, im considering it a bad one..

UPDATE: ok to not give up on this car totally, i went to spa, and i got the steering angle to match the drivers input in the vid above to tacke the hairpin, it ended up being at 540deg. So that gave me more response in the car. Secondly i had the rack at 100% which gave me no feel of steering weight on turn, so i changed that to 20% and i had better ffb. Car was a bit more less vague so to speak. Also i gave a bit more steering lock for tight front end turn in. Yes it is a loose car, but it feels more like a car now than a boat!

So give me credit im trying guys :)

Last edited: Apr 11, 2020
  2. Alex Hodgkinson

Alex Hodgkinson KW Studios Developer

Ratings:
    +1,948 / 0 / -0
    Being the one responsible, I should probably join in here.

As a sanity-check I just drove 5 laps with it around Spa and I can report it's behaving as I intended. Note that it takes a full three laps around that circuit until the tyres are up to temperature. That's very important.

I haven't read anything specific you've been struggling with other than complaining about a vague floaty feeling. So let me tell you; your beef is not with the M1 per-se, but instead with 1970s crossply tyres. They are intrinsically very different to a modern racing slick. Due to the way they flex compared to a modern radial, they work at higher slip angles and lack the sharp edge feel of a modern tyre. The trade-off is that you have a much higher margin for error before it finally cries enough and lets go of the road.

I'll just sign off with a few tips for driving this car:

• When braking, roll on the brakes to give the weight transfer time to happen. Don't stamp on them, you'll just lock up.
    • Don't change gear too often; less is more. It has a lot of torque and downshifting too often can get you all kinds of crossed-up.
    • Abusing curbs is a no-no as the dampers do not have a separate high-speed range. That wasn't invented until the early 80s. This car and the other Group 4s will reject notions of curb-surfing.
    • !!Wait for the tyres to warm up!! Only once you get to 75*c they will start to come on.
    • Don't drive it like a GT3. It's not a car you can grab by the scruff of the neck. It'll bite your face off.

• Informative Informative x 9
    • Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. RoccoTTS

RoccoTTS Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +534 / 0 / -0
    I also did play AMS2 a lot lately, and i really like it so far.
    When the new Raceroom update arrived, i started with Group 4 cars and a did a few races with M1 and immediately i thought by myself : "Damn, this drives so good, no wonder this has been my favorite game for the last few years" and i had a "welcome home" feeling. :)
    So i'm going to switch between AMS2 and Raceroom a lot in the future.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. memoNo1

memoNo1 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +155 / 0 / -0
    I am very excited about the Group5 update. These beasts will be very brutal. I guess the 934 will be a lamb ..

• Like Like x 1
  5. Loki-D

Loki-D Member

Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0
    In that SPA video hes using the kerbs and abusing the gears?! I also think the M1 has far too much lock on it compared to the above videos which changes totally how this is driven.

6. Alex Hodgkinson

Ratings:
    +1,948 / 0 / -0
    Historic racing cars in action today can make use of a lot of modern advancements. Even though they're the same chassis, they've seen quite literally decades of development. It's a conundrum for all historic race series; the cars are way faster now than they were in period, even though it's supposed to be tightly controlled with FIA papers and homologation documents.

The morale is you can't use modern videos of historic race cars as reference for how they behaved in period. The intention is that our car is a snapshot of the car in 1979. Just think how much tyres alone have changed in 41 years...

The lock in our car matches the FIA Historic document which BMW submitted when they homologated the car.

• Informative Informative x 9
  7. Alex Hodgkinson

Ratings:
    +1,948 / 0 / -0
    Here's one article on the subject: Goodwood website

Also the BMW M1 Homologation form is available here - although that is the first version and doesn't include some revisions I have details of. That one is not published so I won't be sharing.

8. Loki-D

Loki-D Member

Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0
    Thanks Alex for the time and the info, i really didnt mean any disrepect, this and AMS2 are the only sims I play - and i do like rre.

Its good to learn about these cars. Thank you.

9. Alex Hodgkinson

Ratings:
    +1,948 / 0 / -0
    No it's cool, I like these discussions! More please :D

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
  10. Loki-D

Loki-D Member

Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0
    One thing i would like to ask , and i know this is not your field, but could we get colour indicators on the tyre hud to show temps?

• Like Like x 1
  11. Alex Hodgkinson

Ratings:
    +1,948 / 0 / -0
    I can put it in the suggestion box

• Winner Winner x 2
  12. Hervé45

Hervé45 Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +135 / 0 / -0
  13. Rob Ross

Rob Ross New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    I would agree with those that find the M1 on the side that it needs improvement. The feel when I drive it is that of a non-performance car on a hard street tire...like 400 tread wear. That even carries over into slowing for corners. The tires lock up quickly compared to all other cars I have tried even reducing the sensitivity. IMO its not even close to what I think a racing slick would feel like. I love the M1 and would use it for races, but not as-is. +1 on giving it a tweak.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  14. Olaf Hülse

Olaf Hülse Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +505 / 0 / -0
    Drove the M1 Procar today at Nordschleife and it was the most enjoyable ride of this week. Was chilling a bit, not completely pushing (as you should do everytime driving there) and had the time of my life sliding catching, drifting, accelarating and braking. This boy rewards you with sound and fun. Every slide is controllable, if you don't overdo it. These 'Oldtimer Wheels' fit perfect to the car and add to the fun.

Greetings

• Agree Agree x 4
  15. memoNo1

memoNo1 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +155 / 0 / -0
  16. Hervé45

Hervé45 Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +135 / 0 / -0
    I don't think

17. Alex Hodgkinson

Ratings:
    +1,948 / 0 / -0
    That's a completely different car, the March BMW M1, which is a Group 5 monster with a big V8.

• Informative Informative x 2
  18. Winzarten

Winzarten Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +377 / 0 / -0
    That's 40 years of tyre techology for you. ;) Compared to your typical 40 years old touring car, this thing is glued to the tarmac. :D

Tbh, I'm little bit at lost what some people expect from these cars. That a 40years old machine will be as nimble and agile, stop at a dime and accelerate out of the corner with ferocity, as modern machines would? Modern machines build upon all the knowledge we accumulated (i.e. in aerodynamics, engine, suspension, brakes technology) throughout the years, designed with CAD assistance, with state of the art simulation SW and constructed from modern materials, with insanely low tolerance levels?

These cars are old, and this is one of the (many) things I love about R3E. They feel old, but they don't feel like a cripled modern car with tweaked parameters and over exaggerated "kill factor", like some of these car tend to feel in some other sims.

You feel the compromise in them, the overall roughness, the subpar suspension that isn't able to handle the weight distribution (looking at you 934), engines that outside ideal rpm produce just enough power to keep the car going, brakes that are just enough to stop the car. They reward good driving techniques, and driving them is such a nice change of pace from the surgically precise cars of today.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
  19. Arthur Spooner

Arthur Spooner Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +432 / 0 / -0
    All the videos brought forward in this thread are from modern historic racing series or events where probably modern slicks were used on these cars. You can't really compare what you see in these videos with the car from RaceRoom where the original crossply tyres were used as @Alex Hodgkinson explained.

Edit: oops, I just saw I missed a post of Alex where he said about the same thing...sorry... ;)

Last edited: Apr 12, 2020
  20. Loki-D

Loki-D Member

Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0
    Found this excellent vid from the 70s cars do seem much more loose.

Suppose we will ever know as noone here has ever driven one of these, it's all just guess work I suppose

• Like Like x 1