REAL without BoP

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Tuborg, Jul 3, 2015.

1. Gerbuho

Gerbuho Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +264 / 0 / -0
    That music... Wow! What is it?

(Sorry for the offtopic but... wow!)

• Like Like x 1
  2. JNRRR

JNRRR Active Member

Ratings:
    +25 / 0 / -0
    From my side a slight Balance of Performace is ok. But a Volvo equal fast as a Nissan is somehow more "fun" than "sim".

And don´t forget about the fun to beat a opponent in a faster car with the beloved rusty bucket.

But why not solve the problem in the future with a BOP-setup on the server?

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Matej Lakota

Matej Lakota Active Member

Ratings:
    +44 / 0 / -0
    @Gerbuho I am glad you like it. It is an old Crotatian/Bosnian band Drugi Način https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drugi_način and you can listen them also on YouTube. Even it is not (any more) band from my country, I still spread a word about their beautiful music whenever I can :)

• Like Like x 1
  4. Gerbuho

Gerbuho Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +264 / 0 / -0
    Thanks Matej. I love it, sounds like something between Cream and Deep Purple, but with words I dont's understand. :)

Cheers.

• Winner Winner x 1
  5. Alessandro Greghi

Alessandro Greghi Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    The option to include a class with original performance or with BOP applied on the server will be a great feature, if implemented;
    yours (imho) it's a good idea :)

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Jukka Karppinen

Jukka Karppinen Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +137 / 0 / -0
    This whole BoP thing is biggest disappointment for me in this game. Seriously, what is the point of having different classes if their performance are balanced to be similar? Sure, for example 635 is more fun to drive than before with lots of more power but i can drive similar lap times with it than '92 DTM M3 or close to M1 Procar? Really? This is not the way it should be in simulator.

I can understand if there is some (very small) balancing between cars in same class but there should not definitely be any between different classes.

Really shame as R3E has recently became one of my favourite racing game with it's "sim" updates but this kind of balancing takes lots of points away from it now in my eyes...

• Agree Agree x 12
  7. yusupov

yusupov Active Member

Ratings:
    +28 / 0 / -0
    here is the problem, id like 'real' physics too, but bc of leaderboards & MP, there also has to be BoP (i think we can agree).

the reality, and maybe im wrong, is that as long as the content is good we'll buy, either way. so adding another set of physics means more work, for more confusion for end users, for negligible gain in income.

maybe its not that much work, thats what i hope, bc having it as a feature for non-online play would be very cool indeed. i guess its fortunate this is rarely a big problem, but sometimes a car being dominant is a whole lot of its appeal, & then it becomes a real issue...

8. goldtop

goldtop Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +50 / 0 / -0
    Must admit I'm left confused by the decision to update the physics of the TC Classic cars to a level that they are able to compete with the DTM '92 cars. I'm in favour of BOP within car classes as it is great for league racing but please not like this.

• Agree Agree x 3
  9. m.bohlken

m.bohlken Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +988 / 0 / -0
    Well yeah, the BoP has a little bad taste... At the moment it is quite ok for me, as the Content of Touring-Classics is not that big. But I have little hopes that this Class is going to grow in future so that it can be splittet in two generations - for e.g. Group A from 82 - 87 and Group A from 88 - 92. Within those categories the BoP would be ok.

And than another Touring-Classics featuring the later years of the Group 2 including the BMW 3.0 csl and Ford Capri RS :hearteyes:

• Like Like x 1
  10. Emerson Meyer

Emerson Meyer Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +61 / 0 / -0
    I wasn't really aware of this BoP... but mixing DTM 92 and the other touring cars makes no sense. It's the same as mixing DTM 2013 and ADAC 2013, IMO.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. shardshunt

shardshunt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +490 / 0 / -0
    well not really the touring cars were very similar to dtm cars they were both still modified road cars.
    the modern dtm cars have no road car in them at all but the adac cars do have some road car in them.

12. Rodger Davies

Rodger Davies Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +594 / 0 / -0
    DTM and GT3 are completely different rulesets, so that's not alike. All these cars were built to Group A regulations, so in theory could have been raced against each other.

That said, I understand the balancing of the M3 and Skyline, and the M3 is the same in the two categories, so I also get DTM 92 cars being balanced with the Skyline, but there's something weird about the Volvo and 635 matching the other two. I can understand bringing them closer, but the Nissan and M3 should still have an advantage IMO.

Either way, another great car added and a good number of liveries too. Look forward to trying it out.

13. JNRRR

JNRRR Active Member

Ratings:
    +25 / 0 / -0
    For me Dtm 1992 represents a wild era of touring cars. It should be taken into account that these cars were highly factory supported. Audi, Bmw and Mercedes used every trick to win what resulted in a high technical progress.

From this it is even hard for me to believe that a BMW M3 from 1987 has a chance versus the 1992 Version. Not speaking about the Bmw 635csi or the Volvo 240 Turbo......

( I take 1987 as this is the last year in that the BMW 635 csi and Volvo 240 turbo appeared in DTM and the first year the BMW M3 apeared DTM and Group A.
    Information from http://touringcarracing.net/Pages/1987 Cars.html
    If someone has better information about this years or the technical development please correct me)

• Like Like x 3
  14. Jukka Karppinen

Ratings:
    +137 / 0 / -0
    GrA and DTM '92 M3 are only extrenally same. There is no way ('87) GrA M3 would have any changes against ('92) DTM M3 IRL.

This BoP thing between different classes is just loophole to devs IMO. Instead of having create more cars (hard work, i know) they can have just balance the performance of them and have more cars to race against that way. But for serious simulator, again in my opinion, this is not the correct way.

• Agree Agree x 3
    Last edited: Jul 8, 2015
  15. CDwyer

CDwyer Member

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0
    When asked how BoP was achieved someone from S3 said ballast, as in real life. If we take them at their word, then the physics exists with a overlying variable. So no new physics needed, just the option to set the variable to zero.

• Like Like x 1
  16. m.bohlken

Ratings:
    +988 / 0 / -0
    Not really... DTM92 was the last year in DTM that was held with Gr.A-Regulations - the same Regulations that are featured in Touring-Classics. After that year DTM switches to Class1.

So Touring-Classics and DTM92 are using the same Gr.A-Specs and so a Gr.A M3 from the Year 1992 is comparable with the DTM M3 from the Year 1992. In every category the cars are getting quicker and quicker from year to year.

17. Jukka Karppinen

Ratings:
    +137 / 0 / -0
    Why would GrA M3 be from 1992 as it's opponents are from 1987? If it's from 1987, then it's ~300hp vs ~370hp (92 dtm).
    In any realistic way, no 635 or Volvo should be match to 1992 DTM cars.

18. m.bohlken

Ratings:
    +988 / 0 / -0
  19. D.Boon

D.Boon Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +386 / 0 / -0
    On paper, they aren't actually as far apart as you'd think.

Have a look here and judge for yourself. :)

BoP may bring some cars closer together that maybe shouldn't be but, it also gets rid of the Pay-to-win aspect, if they were as they were in real life, you'd get grids full of a single make or people leaving because they haven't been able to buy a certain car yet and have got bored of being hammered by everyone in a Skyline.
    I can understand people wanting true to life cars or at least that option but in order to maintain variety on the grid, I'm happy to have BoP.

• Agree Agree x 2
  20. Arthur Spooner

Arthur Spooner Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +432 / 0 / -0
    As long as I've been intersted in motorsports it has always been the organizers aim to balance all cars as good as possible. The reason is clear: they want exciting races. Success was mixed throughout the years and championships.

Another fact is, just as @m.bohlken wrote that in every class the cars became quicker over the years. That's evolution.

So we have several group A cars in RRRE. Some are part of the DTM '92 pack, some are generic classic touring cars. No year given, although some of them might only be run in distinct years.

Anybody remember GTR/GTR2? 2/3 of the grids were full with Ferrari F550. Booooooring. Not only no chance to win with any other car, but also no chance to even come in within the first half of the pack with any other car.

Taking all this into consideration I'm very happy with how S3S handle this matter. All cars still have their special characteristics but are balanced in overall performance. This way you still have cars that are quicker (compared to the other cars) on some tracks, slower on others.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2