Simple, simple basics - I don't get it...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by R.C. Collins, Nov 29, 2016.

1. R.C. Collins

R.C. Collins Active Member

Ratings:
    +38 / 0 / -0
    Since this game and the dev team's roots are in an ISI engine, how, after three years, can there not be a functional flag system?

As well, the vehicle setups; where are the tire pressures, brake settings, duct settings, engine mapping, chassis balance, etc.? You know, all the stuff rF/rF2 has and has had forever. ? All the stuff that Race 07 had. ??

What about a scoring system? In a basic practice session, you cannot even see a 'Leaderboard' with other session times, sectors and other vital info. ALL the things that are in REAL racing that we are supposed to be simulating. Practice is to shakedown a car, collect all that data and build a setup from that. Then again, since nobody seems to be racing anywhere but that awful place... I guess the demand is just not there.

Even AMS with the rF1 engine has flat spotting and negative tire effects from dirt and debris from offroading. Yet here, as well as some other sims I really don't care for and won't mention, you can pass half on the grass. That's a joke! Aside from it being annoying, you'd rarely get away with it on a real track.

Where's the rubber build up and marbles?

Vehicles with known sequential gearboxes still seem to suffer from damage from not clutching and Auto Clutch is NOT the answer.

And still, no proper damage model. I mean, sorry, BUT really... 160MPH into a wall in an open wheel car and not even a wheel comes off. ?? Maybe a wing but you can keep going with little negative effect.

Many won't agree but IMO, this just feeds 'douche bag' racing because there is no repercussion to stupidity so, drivers just drive like a-holes because, simply, you can! And, you'll get away with it.

Where's MMO?!? iRenting is STILL the only game in town and it's garbage. Race2Play is done at the end of the year so, there is a huge void. I don't see how someone is not capitalizing on this.

I could go on but seriously, it has been years, there is always new content which is okay I suppose but utmost basic core features are not in the game... yet.

I walk away from all these racing games for 6 or 8 months or even over a year in some cases only to return to 'nothing changed'.

I've said it before and I'll say it again... this game has potential however, stop with the content and give the paying user a complete game not a perpetual state of unfinished.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2016
  2. majuh

majuh Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +257 / 0 / -0
    You have to keep in mind that the engine has been heavily changed since the Race 07 days.

A flag system is in the works. The AI already recognizes blue flag situations.

There are session leaderboards in free practice.

Tyres do pick up dirt when going off track, you can even hear it.

They announced that they will advance in that direction.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. Rodent

Rodent Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +323 / 0 / -0
    I'm guessing alot of what's missing is missing because Simbin had another vision for R3E as a more casual game, and it didn't work so here we are with S3 using R3E as a foundation for a Sim and not a Forza competitor. As for features over content while the latest big patch wasn't as smooth as anyone hoped for I really do think the polished AI and unification of the experiences etc. are a great step in that direction.

Apart from that I think Majuh already said it all rather well.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. R.C. Collins

Ratings:
    +38 / 0 / -0
    Keep in mind that like many, I've been playing this before it was on Steam so that's pre-2013.

Memory eludes me but I didn't really start using Steam to any extent until around 2011 so back to the point. I somehow recall the original release being pre-Steam. Either way, in 4-5 years, this is all we have? Lots of content but the rest... really?!? I understand money is needed but all the content in an incomplete environment does not a simulator make.

FYI, I am a 100% content owner. I try to do my part by supporting. I have the lifetime sub with rF2 purchased in 2012 and for as good as the physics and driving are, the rest of that is a bit of a disappointment. AMS same thing. Full sub but it IS still essentially rF1 only on steroids and only the future will tell with their next full sim. AC... gave up on it as they dumbed it down. It went from promising simulator/physics to console like garbage and the devs and their mental meltdowns is a turn off. Stopped supporting it. pCARS, same thing. The devs/community is toxic. Thankfully, the residuals I keep getting have more than returned the the $80 or whatever I put into it. In any other business, if people acted the way the AC and pCARS devs did and do, people would dump your ass and you'd be bankrupt. I'd never get away with any of what those 2 organizations have in what I do.

Flag system in the works? We didn't need open wheelers, we needed flags. Didn't need Audi TT 2k16 either. Saving setups was announced as though it was some incredible technological breakthrough. How about proper scoring systems, telemetry, dynamic tracks, as well as everything else that's missing.

I just checked again. Unless I'm missing something, Single Player > Practice. There is not a Leaderboard.

Yeah you can hear the off-road gravel/dirt/debris. Still, too much grip on the grass and I'm not really sure that once you get back on the track, whether there's any effect from the dirt/grass on the tires. Does not seem like it. One certainly cannot flat spot a tire. Lockups don't seem to cause any steering vibrations or other hindrance.

MMO with everything else missing or not functioning is nonsensical. Recipe for failure.

That 'other' game, for as absolute crap as the cars/physics are, they have everything. It's a complete and utter joke BUT it's complete. You have no idea how much I loathe it. The cars simply do not behave at all like anything in my experience on a track, albeit limited to Karts and some limited car experience. It's pathetic. I can do things in my Hyundai sub-compact that makes iwRecking cars become tank slapping, oscillating pieces of petrified shite. It's no surprise all their 'poster boys', when given a real opportunity, suck.

As for AI, that's nice but, again, even if I wanted to race against AI, everything else is missing.

Great musicians, many of whom are not savvy business people, often get nowhere, no matter how good you may be. I somehow get the feeling the same applies in the software biz. Great programmers, artists, 3d modelers etc., do not mean much if there is not strong business management. Management people who can go hustle the investment/venture capital to build/grow. Inundating the consumer with micro-transactions eventually alienates. Steam, where the majority of the users are kids with no money, is not the platform to generate the money needed. If you look at the demographic of icRashing, it's largely older players with discretionary income not junior hitting up mommy and daddy for a credit card to buy something on steam. Nearly every video is some elaborate, expensive cockpit rig and the forums are all guys bragging gear. That's where the money is.

Something has to change. Not just here but in the genre and gaming to large degree.

Assassin's Creed has a movie out any day now. That's called building a franchise, marketing and getting investors and just absolutely everyone on board.

If I was a Roger Penske type (multi-billionaire) and I saw any of these racing games, I'd turn and run the other way hiding my wallet. BUT, if was presented a complete product that did it all, with the opportunity of flogging every other brand I'm associated with or own and could make not only millions from playing subscribers but scads more from all the other brand exposure and marketing opportunities and licensing, I'd be asking where to sign.

I'd read, from Tim McArthur if I'm not mistaken, that he was offered $750k for R2P years ago and turned it down. So if a a small operation like that has that kind of worth, think of what iRaping is worth and what it generates. There is money to be made. Lots of it.

Hit up Shark Tank or whatever. All these racing games have to start doing something.

Strayed off track a bit. It's just that all this gets old after a while.

Something has to change.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  5. D.Boon

D.Boon Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +386 / 0 / -0
    There is a lot Sector3 would have liked to have done already, unfortunately it isn't as simple as that, publisher requests/demands get the priority, so things like flag rules got put by the way side.
    IIRC R3E was originally a browser based game?

It was supposed to be a casual single player racer, more aimed at real world events like you'd find at a Raceroom cafe.

I started playing maybe 18 months a go and since then I've seen massive changes, compared to this time last year, it's barely recognisable, physics in particular.

It's far from perfect, even sector3 will tell you that but, it's always changing and progress is constantly being made even if the features many people want aren't with us yet. Plans are there, next year is going to be very exciting for R3E IMO.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. R.C. Collins

Ratings:
    +38 / 0 / -0
    You've been playing RRE 18 months. I've been playing all these racing games since I was younger. About 18 years.

So, due to that wider time span, I see less change in all these games and believe that more is certainly attainable.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. nate

nate Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +875 / 0 / -0
    That's a bingo.

When this game was first in development under SimBin, the vision for the game was entirely different. It wasnt meant to be a super hardcore sim that is the be all and end all of sim racing. It was never intended to have vast setup options, hardcore flag rules, and all the other things that people claim to want (while also not playing the other games out there that offer these exact requests).

Probably because RaceRoom isnt rFactor 2, like it isnt Race 07, like it isnt Grand Prix Legends.

RaceRoom is its own thing. It isnt trying to be a combination of every other game out there. Just like how Assetto Corsa isnt GTR2, or Pcars isnt Formula Truck.

If you really want RaceRoom to be rFactor... there is always rFactor out there still...

He didnt say he only started playing racing games ~18 months ago... only RR.

Besides that, I've been playing racing games and sims for about 22+ yrs now. Does my experience trump yours and mean Im right when I say that I can clearly see an evolution of gameplay compared to racing games from 15 yrs ago? Of course not.

8. D.Boon

D.Boon Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +386 / 0 / -0
    R3E 18 months, racing sims/games 22 years, longer if you include the likes of pitstop on the Commador 64. Plenty has changed.

• Like Like x 2
  9. pixeljetstream

pixeljetstream Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +412 / 0 / -0
    Beautiful rant about the decline of the world.
    I missed a "TL;DR I am getting old." on top of it suits your avatar ;)

You gave your own reply, you don't understand this business. You compare this niche market to assassins creed, come on...

The days of "Grand Prix" series or flight Sims being spotlight titles in PC gaming are over. Get your shit together and stop pissing on everyone and everything just because you cannot get the joy out of things anymore.

If it is actually important to you, take money or time to get into development yourself. Otherwise let go if it frustrates you so much.

edit:
    re-reading a day later, should not have thrown a stone, rather give a cause.

Constantly (at least it feels like that) accusing the developers of deliberately making the wrong choices, ignoring the business situation they are in, serves no purpose to improve the situation at all and is in my opinion rude. Just because you didn't call out names, doesn't make it less of a personal attack, as you are on their very forum.
    That is not the same as saying the situation is perfect or saying feature x isn't needed at all.

Many of us probably qualify as "old" in terms of racing games experience, the testers, the staff etc. Don't you think those people have some experience as well to think of what a good race sim game should feature. It is not that people are nonsensical as you accuse them of. Everyone has ideas but not everyone is in control or with the ability of turning that into a reality.

I disagree about the money aspects you mention, it sounds vague and far fetched, how the industry is fundamentally broken and one cannot make money from Steam (or I misread those parts). I just don't see that big of a market in simracing. Ask the guys from "justrace.net" how easy it was for them to rake in money for a good cause... or the money reiza made in their bonanza: 100.000$ that's only a single experienced developer man year. Compare that to a new version of Farming Simulator selling 1 mio copies this month, or Football Manager, EuroTruck Simulator being in the upper charts of Steam (as you mentioned games targeting adults).

Your posts in this thread read like a usual list of feature demands, paired with calling out incompetence. And the first guy who jumped onto that wagon had a different list of demands... Where exactly does that help you make the difference you are trying to achieve with your experience in simracing?

• Like Like x 2
    • Dislike Dislike x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2016
  10. R.C. Collins

Ratings:
    +38 / 0 / -0
    C U Next Tuesday buddy. Piss off with that attitude.
    http://bit.ly/1L9v33L

11. R.C. Collins

Ratings:
    +38 / 0 / -0
    Yes and no.

And I wasn't implying that you only have been playing 18 months contrary to the several comments.

About the same boat. Yes, there has been changes BUT the basic framework for alot of games, not just racing games, has not exactly shaken the earth.

Anyhow, just posting some thoughts but since some of the fucking whiny little children here cannot be civil and are content shelling out their $$ over and over and over for rehashed same thing and little significant forward motion, I'll leave it be.

12. Tuborg

Tuborg Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +457 / 0 / -0
    Please don't be so damn personal guys!

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  13. R.C. Collins

Ratings:
    +38 / 0 / -0
    I wasn't being personal. The little bitch made it personal.

• Like Like x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  14. Christian G

Christian G Topological Agitator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +2,411 / 0 / -0
    I agree, you slimy mollusk. ;)

• Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  15. Xon3

Xon3 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +171 / 0 / -0
    The thing that pisses me the most isnt even the "core" problems, not the tire stuff and all that .... IT DOESNT EVEN HAVE A CHAT LOG ?!?!?! And the "quick chat" is such a bad problem that even i with my limited knolage did an arduino that spells automatically what i want ...
    This is what pisses people off the most, its not even the most basic of basic stuff is working. No safety car, no flag system, super limited communication (EVERY ONLINE GAME HAS !) Is it THAT HARD to have a chat in the race menu ? Basic flag system even if its just a yellow when a car is 4 wheels off track ? EVEN THE HEAD LIGHTS DONT WORK! What ? Look even in the forum photo the cruze has headlights !!!! .... Multiclass on single player .... We could go on all day.
    This makes the game feel not like "beta" but a SUPER early alpha or something and this gets people mad (for a good reason).

But the ktm sure did come out quick ...

Another thing that gets my nervs on is people saying they are gratefull for sector 3s work on the game ... YOU PAY FOR THE GAME !!! you should excpect that they do their best not be gratefull for it !!!! jeez .... i mean we dont need to act like dumbdumbs but i mean be gratefull ?

I really like this game and have been playing it for a long time but trouth is ... its not stepping up its game ...

Iv been doing several coments identical to this one but I WILL NOT STOP UNTIL I GET A FREAKING CHAT LOG !!!!!!!!!!! and since your on it ... head lights please xP

• Like Like x 1
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. Andy Blade

Andy Blade Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +302 / 0 / -0
    I hope you taught your Arduino to SPELL better than this ^^ and HEADLIGHTS do WORK just ask @MeMotS ;)
    But seriously sure all other stuff will get fixed and added

• Funny Funny x 1
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2016
  17. D.Boon

D.Boon Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +386 / 0 / -0
    Headlights like night racing in R3E are probably a no-go since it's a graphic engine problem/limitation over a (relatively simple) coding issue. Remember, R3E is a DX9 based game running a graphics engine from the (comparative) stone age, all things considered, Sector3 have worked miracles just to get it looking this good.

In the last dev stream, they did mention that they have bought SIMBIN back from the grave and that they (SIMBIN) will be starting work on a new project based on the Unreal Engine 4, we're all going to have to be patient and wait though.

In the mean time, plenty of features are in the pipelines for R3E and as I've said already, next year is going to be very exciting for R3E.

18. Ty Duff

Ty Duff Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +54 / 0 / -0
    This thread is a great example of why further chat functionality should be bottom of their list.

• Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
  19. R.C. Collins

Ratings:
    +38 / 0 / -0
    According to his profile, he does appear to be from Portugal so maybe English is not his first language. Also, kind of looks somewhat like posts from people using mobile where the auto-correct messes up or misses things. Particularly if the device's native language is not English.

Whatever it may be, the spelling/grammar, albeit not perfect, is still better than some of the 'double wides' I see on various forums and comments sections elsewhere.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2016
  20. majuh

majuh Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +257 / 0 / -0
    No... Closed beta of RRRE started in October 2012, and it also used Steam back then. And the game has massively improved since then. Apart from that, people working on content are not working on features and vice versa.

• Agree Agree x 2