Suggested Settings for Endurance Races against the AI

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by dungbeetle, Dec 4, 2018.

1. CheerfullyInsane

CheerfullyInsane Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +402 / 0 / -0
    Hang on....
    20 laps around Spa. If this was with GT3s we're talking something like 2:20 a lap, or roughly 45 minutes.
    With 4x tire-wear, that means you ran the same tires for the equivalent of 3 hours(!)
    Sounds more like there's a problem with the time-accelerated tire-wear since you should be running on the rims after that.....

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. dungbeetle

dungbeetle Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +66 / 0 / -0
    It was a P2 race, but you're absolutely right, the player has a huge advantage over the AI just like with the fuel.
    I had orange flashing tyres at the end of the race but could still do lap times quick enough to stay ahead of the AI. There was no reason for me to pit.

Having said that, it was on adaptive AI to suit my pace. It might have been tougher with an AI setting higher than my ability.

3. ravey1981

ravey1981 Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +873 / 0 / -0
    To be fair I ran 4x tyre wear easily for half an hour which is equivalent of 2 hours, the whole system doesn't seem to work for long races.....I guess most people run sprint races....

4. CheerfullyInsane

CheerfullyInsane Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +402 / 0 / -0
    Quite possible. I'll be the first to admit that when it comes to RL racing, my knowledge is...*ahem*...limited. :D
    But still, there's a bit of a gap between 140 minutes and 180.
    Not to mention that, with all respect to @dungbeetle , pro drivers are probably better at taking care of their tires.

5. dungbeetle

Ratings:
    +66 / 0 / -0
    I don't think it's so much how long the tyres actually last, as it is how much longer the player is able go on a set of tyres compared to the AI (which is a similar situation to the fuel consumption).

I would say it's still easier to rig the fuel consumption than it is the tyres, as the window for tyre changes is so much bigger and more subjective than for refuelling.

Hopefully the Devs will take a look at this sooner rather than later.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. ravey1981

ravey1981 Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +873 / 0 / -0
    Seems as it is it's pointless trying to run either fuel or tyres. It's a shame when the rest of the game works so well.

7. dungbeetle

Ratings:
    +66 / 0 / -0
    Yeah. There's no denying it's a faff to have to do a fuel calc before a race to make it work.

The thing is though, we've now got a fully editable multi-class grid which really brings endurance racing to life and I enjoyed that two hour race around Spa so much that I'll probably put up with it in order to do more until Sector 3 fixes things.