Suggestion: Notify when someone beats your leaderboard time

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by shovas, Jan 3, 2016.

1. Christian G

Christian G Topological Agitator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +2,411 / 0 / -0
    Would it maybe even be sth worth considering implementation into justrace.net?

2. Stefan Mizzi

Stefan Mizzi Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +625 / 0 / -0
    Yeah, it would be a nice addition I guess. Right now we are working on the League Management System so quite busy, but I'll open a GitLab ticket so we can discuss it.~

What would be the main functionalities (user stories https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User_story)?

3. Christian G

Christian G Topological Agitator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +2,411 / 0 / -0
    I guess the OP's idea was that the user receives some sort of notification (via an app or mail) in case his lb entry got beaten.
    I still think the mail thing would be too much, you could end up sending thousands of e-mails each day (or am I wrong here somehow)?
    But if not a standalone (smartphone) app maybe you could have a notifications section (included in justrace's protal f.e.) that collects those notifications, so the user can go there and gets reminded which of his entries were beaten.

• Like Like x 3
  4. shovas

shovas Member

Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0
    For the record, my initial idea was actually just a stream item in the News Feed of your profile page on game.raceroom.com. I wouldn't do email, I probably wouldn't install an app, I suspect most people are like me.

Actually this forum does notifications quite conveniently. You see that notification thing at the top of the screen get tagged when you have new notifications.

A simple feed item on your profile and somewhere in the game would suffice.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Stefan Mizzi

Stefan Mizzi Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +625 / 0 / -0
    Ok, I won't do any app then, cheers

6. wozdecky

wozdecky Active Member

Ratings:
    +41 / 0 / -0
    good idea.mail notification It should be only by categories.
    Like it

7. JImmy Lim

JImmy Lim New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I just need an app to view the leader board on my phone. The website's leader board is useless for Android.

8. wozdecky

wozdecky Active Member

Ratings:
    +41 / 0 / -0
    Yeah, app will be good.

9. ChatCureuil

ChatCureuil Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +308 / 0 / -0
    Where do you find leaderboard API documentation?

I'm also interested by a notification when my leaderboard time is beaten.
    I also would like to see the list of the leaderboard I entered and my position in each one, so I can choose which one I want to improve.

I already did Android development, I would be OK to build a small app for this.

10. Beastux

Beastux Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +288 / 0 / -0
    Yes, I was thinking of the same option and that's why I tried to use Excel to have an overview of the leaderboards I entered, but of course it's never up-to-date.

For me, the statistics page is totally unusefull. We should be able, when selecting a car, a class or a track, to have all the laptimes recorded in the leaderboards, with our position and the number of competitors who entered.

An interesting feature, when using the leaderboard challenge, would be to have the information of the new laptime made, not only the difference with the previous personal best; when ameliorating several times in a row, I don't really know what is my new time.

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. Beastux

Beastux Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +288 / 0 / -0
    Wouldn't it be possible to add those informations on the user profile page, where we find the stats and the favorite cars and tracks?