The Assetto Corsa thread

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Skybird, Aug 2, 2015.

1. Yevgeny Lazorenko

Yevgeny Lazorenko Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +793 / 0 / -0
    12120098_1036415179722489_6505074232797625066_o.jpg 12138605_1036414529722554_712607274298537734_o.jpg

• Like Like x 3
  2. Yevgeny Lazorenko

Ratings:
    +793 / 0 / -0
    12095279_1036845196346154_6511329136212302756_o.jpg 12087138_1036844766346197_5765161141420877872_o.jpg 11222596_1036845013012839_599185545578513329_o.jpg 12109945_1036845653012775_877811571516734184_o.jpg

• Love it! Love it! x 1
  3. Skybird

Skybird Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +803 / 0 / -0
    ^ I wonder which one is your new favourite car from DLC2... :rolleyes: :)

• Funny Funny x 4
  4. The Monk

The Monk Active Member

Ratings:
    +30 / 0 / -0
    Great shots! Wish my AC looked as good as that. But I don't care that much, I've been enjoying 1.3 far more than 1.2. Just give me my 64nit TrackIR functionality back and I'll be happy.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Skybird

Ratings:
    +803 / 0 / -0
    1.3.4 has just been rolled out, over 80 MB. Focus is on more fixing, fine-tunings, and balancing; and according to their physics guru Aristotelis again tires and their temperature model, rolling resistence, and energy loss of GT2 and GT3 cars have been at the centre of the work on this release.

And trackIR x64 works now, according to the readme.

P.S. There also was a 1.3.3 earlier - and I did not mention it...!? Shame on me!

• Informative Informative x 1
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2015
  6. Skybird

Ratings:
    +803 / 0 / -0
    A facebook entry shows that Kunos plans to have single player pitstops implemented before end of the year. :) A-triple-plus-hooray for that. About time. - And it would save my teeth.

Yes, that is an insider joke.

Yesterday Lord Kunos said in reply to me that they probably will have several small updates in lose succession for the rest of the year and in fact already now are "in range of a 1.4 release".

A quick server fix is expected early this week.

Before, they released 1.0, 1.1, and 1.2, had 3-5 minor updates and hotfixes to each of these, and then took another 2-3 months until the next major version number raise.

The sudden "hectic" now maybe is due to cleaning the timetable for the work on the console release next year, I could imagine at least. But that is just my guessing.

7. M D Gourley

M D Gourley Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +92 / 0 / -0
    Assetto Corsa's latest update with the DLC Dream Pack 2 with my favorite car of that DLC the 'Lamborghini Countach'...fantastic car in game and nice to drive, maybe not like it's real world counterpart...lol. Found this 'ISLE of MAN' track conversion in Driving Italia downloads, and apart from a few imperfections it is a real blast to drive with the Countach. I had to add a few AI so I could follow them and watch for their brake lights as driving by yourself the corners can sneak up on you and I was crashing to often, possibly what it is like to drive the real track. Driving the Countach was a fantastic challenge in manual H-Pattern with Clutch and I was hoping I would make it at least once around the track before the clutch went....lol
    ...also the Alfa Romeo GTA was a blast to drive around Isle of Man, second link

8. Skybird

Ratings:
    +803 / 0 / -0
    Please note that the legality of that track conversion in April this year still was in question, and since respect to the original author's work and his claims for it, as well as probably forums rules demand to not post on content of possibly unauthorized or pirated origin, I would recommend to stay away form posting this. Compare here, especially posting #104:

http://www.assettocorsa.net/forum/index.php?threads/request-isle-of-man.19185/page-6

Also, this thread on AC here in this forum is about comparing AC and R3E where comparison is due, and keeping the news status updated on AC's going and releases of patches and packs. No fan-site for AC, and no plain advertizing. Posting fan-videos for what is an economic competitor to Sector3'S product, maybe is not the most appropriate thing to do.

Could we agree please to leave video postings to comparing features, cars and tracks shared in AC and R3E, therefore? That may also help in keeping Sector3's tolerance for this alive.

I assume every studio keeps an eye at the competition's simulators anyway, even without threads like this. I hoped when starting this thread that however some more discussion would be a result, on things that AC does different than R3E, so that Sector3 by that discussion could assess which of these differences might be worth some consideration and which ones maybe are not so interesting for consideration, when seeing people reactions. It seems this discussion is not about to become reality, maybe I was too romantic there. So I consider to stop posting in here and let it just drop to the bottom anyway, like its twin thread about R3E in AC forums, which also gets silently consumed but not greeted with too much answering participation.

Edit:
    P.S. I added a question on the track being legal or a rip in AC forums. Hopefully there will come answers clearing it up beyond doubt.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2015
  9. M D Gourley

M D Gourley Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +92 / 0 / -0
    Apologies, I did not know and now I do, sorry my mistake...feel free to delete my post. R3E is my number 1 sim of choice :)

10. Skybird

Ratings:
    +803 / 0 / -0
    Oh, you misunderstand me, I am no mod, nor do I pretend to do the mod's job, but I try to keep this thread clean of anything that could be seen as offensive, violating rules, damaging intrests of Sector3, or else offer an open flank to attack and shutting it down. Sector3 and Kunos are economic rivals with their two sims, lets not forget that.

Lets keep this thread sober, and purely informative.

11. Dan Speelman

Dan Speelman Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +60 / 0 / -0
    I think AC and R3E complement each other very well. AC has a focus on driving and has a wide range of cars from older production cars to modern GT whereas R3E is about racing with a range licensed content and solid AI. I'd rather the devs of these sims work on making what they already do well better rather than add content to be more like the other.

BTW I like this thread since it saves me from having to go over to the AC forums to get the latest news. I picked up AC when it was updated to 1.2 and there was something horribly wrong with the brakes on my system. Some people on the forum seemed to have the same problem but were more or less told "learn to drive". 1.3 seemed to fix it for me so I can finally enjoy it. Or maybe I just learned to drive between 1.2 and 1.3 by racing in R3E...

12. Skybird

Ratings:
    +803 / 0 / -0
    I agree that both sims are somewhat complementary regarding their cars, Assetto has a focus on street and sports cars but also some race cars, while Raceroom has exclusively race and touring cars. The one sim indeed should not copy the other in this regard. Cars that are shared by both car parks already, do not necessarily drive similar in both sims. Honestly said, there are so many cars in both sims already that i personally would not need any more cars added to any of them.

With tracks, Raceroom obviously has a lead in offering so many much-wanted names and famous tracks in such beauty, while Assetto has fewer tracks, but more mods, and default tracks being the slightly more complex experience to drive since they are laserscanned. It makes not a huge but a fine difference in driving. There is a huge difference in looks, however. Raceroom's track pack is imo the best on offer today, regarding the locations available.

On features, Raceroom currently is a bit ahead, imo, with both sims adding features that are demanded and considered to be vital and inevitable by players. Many things they already do in comparable fashion.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. alesi27

alesi27 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +233 / 0 / -0
    Well,I am afraid I ve got some bad news for you,Assetto.If that Gran Turismo Sport works,there will be no room on the PS4 for Kunos game...

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. Skybird

Ratings:
    +803 / 0 / -0
    Nissan GT3 GTR at Spa. First reality. Then Raceroom at sunset (and activated track guidance). Then Assetto Corsa over the day.

LINK Video Reality (jump the first minute to pass the pitlane sequence, it uses both pits and is quite long)
    LINK Video Raceroom
    LINK Video Assetto Corsa

Better cockpit looks for Assetto, better sound for Raceroom.

Tracks - I like both versions extremely much, they are at the very top of default tracks available for each sim. Assetto has a small advantage in surface geometry, Raceroom has an advantage in looks. Driving them in both simulations is pure joy.

Nich McMillen is a professional race driver, and in his video above he writes:
    Raceroom'S sound is inredibly close to the real thing, i would say.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Yevgeny Lazorenko

Ratings:
    +793 / 0 / -0

• Informative Informative x 1
  16. James Cook

James Cook Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,013 / 0 / -0
    I know many of you dislike pretendracecars.net but this is an interesting article:

http://pretendracecars.net/2015/10/...fficial-assetto-corsa-content-into-rfactor-2/

From the comments section:

Discuss...

17. Dave R

Dave R Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +576 / 0 / -0
    It's only their cars that they're allowed to convert (a BMW and the GT86). The rest are off limits.

18. Dale Junior

Dale Junior Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +983 / 0 / -0
    at 0:26 ... I think it’s time for laser scanned tracks in R3E. Not only dates for the track surface but also for the complete track environment like the grandstand, pit boxes, … . This is the future and must have for all racing sims nowadays. The race community want it as you can see …

R3E = 17.500 Facebook likes
    AC = 60.000 Facebook likes
    iRacing = 90.000 Facebook likes

• Disagree Disagree x 4
    Last edited: Nov 12, 2015
  19. Skybird

Ratings:
    +803 / 0 / -0
    Could you prove that you attribute the right explanation to the numbers being what they are, especially the small number - compared to the others - for Raceroom?

;)

Laserscanning is nice (and costs...) and adds a certain additional benefit. But it should not be overestimated, like it is en vogue currently. Saying that as a Raceroom AND Assetto Corsa player. Laserscanned tracks make for a slightly different driving of the track, and still the whole race experience is so much more than just that.

• Agree Agree x 3
  20. Skybird

Ratings:
    +803 / 0 / -0
    Free Audi R8 Plus incoming.