The Assetto Corsa thread

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Skybird, Aug 2, 2015.

1. Skybird

Skybird Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +803 / 0 / -0
    As a matter of fact, I have a minor issue with their latest tyre model v7 thnat came with AC v1.5.x The fast, and already before difficult cars, I mean the real primadonna cars there are, for my tatse are too slippery now, like shaping a knife unti,t he sharp edge is indeed rasorsharp , but also brittle. This doers not make itself felt in slower cars, more "harmless" cars.

Or maybe my driving just sucks. I will not claim to be a top driver, I am not. I have the overwhelming majroity of AC fansd against me with my view anyway - thy all love it. So I stay a bit aside there.

Weight shiftings in AC can be an art, and a lot depends on the quality of the controllers you use, I assume. Using a very ordinary G27 only, I stay out of the discussion. I just remind people that you steer a car as much by pedals like you steer it by turning the wheel. And again: many people simply try to take corners too fast, are not aware of the high speed they ride at.

2. digitizer

digitizer Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +117 / 0 / -0
    Oh, about showroom. Look for PP preset in showroom. If you choose Photo, you may have a lot FPS dropped

3. Skybird

Ratings:
    +803 / 0 / -0
    Work the other way around. Reset options to lower settings, medium at best, and then work your way upwards one by one. With my specs, I get fluid frames around 60 on all tracks, options mostly to high, some to max, some to medium.

4. Metalogic

Metalogic Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +234 / 0 / -0
    Okay, I may try that, but the cars are already looking worse than Raceroom graphic-wise with the settings pretty high, but I guess it's possible I'm using some strange combo that just doesn't look right.

5. digitizer

Ratings:
    +117 / 0 / -0
    Try to Nordschleife and McLaren MP4-12C GT3. Because both track in AC and R3E is laserscanned

6. digitizer

Ratings:
    +117 / 0 / -0
    My settings in AC is maxed except:
    Reflection - low - static
    Shadows - high
    Motion Blur - off
    V-Sync off
    FPS limit - 63 (I have 60Hz display)
    I use custom PP filter, but its doesn't matter, just don't use photo filter for the race, because this filter use DOF (blur) and FPS is dropped for this
    Audio latency - Normal

7. rad

rad Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +458 / 0 / -0
    Nordschleife should be identical to RaceRoom (and iRacing) because as far as I know, all of them bought exactly the same laserscan data from one company.

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. Hell-Fiend™

Hell-Fiend™ Member

Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0
    Hey guys whats your ffb settings for the t300rs on corsa

9. digitizer

Ratings:
    +117 / 0 / -0
    I'm not a owner of t300rs, but i hope you can use app "LUT generator" too
    http://www.racedepartment.com/downloads/lut-generator-for-ac.9740/
    I use it with my old DFP and FFB is perfect for me
    All fake effects switched off and for every combo car/track FFB i use app "Force feedback anti-clipping tool" (can download it from official AC forum)

10. Gerbuho

Gerbuho Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +264 / 0 / -0
    I'm not a mods fan but the last two months I've found myself driving almost exclusively GT3 and Gt2 cars at Road America (mod). Can't get enough.
    On a side note, I found out graphics look way better in my rig with PP off. I while ago I had issues with FPS but now I can have constant 100 FPS (limited) with some downs to 80sh but no problems at all (GTX750ti).

11. Travis P

Travis P Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +65 / 0 / -0
    I'm glad I'm not the only one who prefers Assetto with the PP filters off. The Yebis filters are a frame rate killer..you can get 30-40 fps more by turning off the PP filters!

I did a test back in Feb with the PP filters on, PP filters off and with the Natural PP filter mod found on Race Department. The results are here: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=194010225&postcount=3135

Benchmark settings (using the PC config listed in my signature):
    FULLSCREEN: ON
    AA:4X (Max)
    AF:16X (Max)
    SHDW:2048 (High)
    BLUR:0 (Off)
    WORLD DETAIL: 5 (Max)
    SMOKE:3 (Standard)
    PP: QLT:3 (Standard)
    HDR:1 (On)
    FXAA:0 (Off)
    GLR:3 (Standard)
    DOF:3 (Standard)
    RAYS:1 (On)
    HEAT:1 (On)
    Reflections on Low Quality with a Medium refresh rate
    Rear Vision Mirrors set to High quality.

Results:
    Standard PP Filter and Standard Weather:
    FPS: AVG=114 MIN=67 MAX=135 VARIANCE=0 CPU=50%

Standard PP Filter with Natural Graphics Weather Effects:
    FPS: AVG=117 MIN=73 MAX=135 VARIANCE=0 CPU=53%

Natural Graphics Mod with Natural Graphics Weather Effects:
    FPS: AVG=119 MIN=72 MAX=141 VARIANCE=0 CPU=53%

PP Filter Off with Natural Graphics Weather Effects:
    FPS: AVG=158 MIN=103 MAX=215 VARIANCE=0 CPU=63%

PP Filter Off with Standard Weather:
    FPS: AVG=154 MIN=101 MAX=221 VARIANCE=0 CPU=62%

I repeated the test in April when version 1.5 shipped:
    Pre-1.5 update:
    FPS: AVG=114 MIN=67 MAX=135 VARIANCE=0 CPU=50%

Post 1.5 update:
    FPS: AVG=122 MIN=73 MAX=148 VARIANCE=0 CPU=55%

12. gp20

gp20 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +53 / 0 / -0
    Post a picture so we can figure what you see that we can't see.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Metalogic

Ratings:
    +234 / 0 / -0
    Okay, I've tried with these settings - in-game FPS with default PP is about 70-80 fps and in the showroom I now get about 20-25 FPS (about 30fps if I turn PP off completely), which at least is usable. On the track the graphics look a little better now too (think maybe because of higher AA/AF than I was using). It might be the default PP filter I don't like, so may try the Natural Graphics Mod (which is also apparently less GPU intensive than the default PP filters).

Showroom aside, I don't seem to have any FPS problems on the track, and I'm starting to appreciate the graphical presentation a little more - it's quite different from R3E, not always necessarily worse (apart from the track scenery) and I think part of my initial reaction was due to it not being what I was expecting - different from R3E, but not incredible graphics like in Forza Apex (better physics, obviously).

Also I think I might be able to improve the graphical presentation a little by using some Mods, but of the bundled PP presents I tried, none seem that amazing.

Last edited: May 20, 2016
  14. Metalogic

Ratings:
    +234 / 0 / -0
    I tried this car/track combo in AC and did find this to be more enjoyable than my previous driving efforts in AC, starting to appreciate AC a little more. I'm still not entirely convinced, but think I'm perhaps starting to see some of the appeal.

BTW I found the car in AC easier to keep on the road than in R3E, much less spinning out - not sure if that's a good or bad thing, though!

How is the current AI in AC? I've only had time so far to do hot-lapping. From what I read, it used to be pretty bad, but has this improved a lot in recent patches? What about the mutliplayer netcode?

15. Metalogic

Ratings:
    +234 / 0 / -0
    Sorry, haven't had time yet. One of the things that I assume can be fixed by tweaking things(?) is that the default colours seem very washed-out/over exposed, but I don't see this in any other game, so it's not my monitor calibration. e.g. when racing the McLaren MP4-12C GT3 with the Gulf livery, it hardly looks blue at all sometimes due to this. This is with the default PP filter. It doesn't look "natural", it just looks like the settings are wrong somehow.

I have only 8 minutes of game time left now before I go over the 2 hour refund limit, so I need to make a decision about whether to keep the sim or not soon...

16. Skybird

Ratings:
    +803 / 0 / -0
    Believe me, that depends on what cars you drive. Some are like nailed to the road, others are natural figure skaters. Also, note that not only you have ABS and TC, but in the more basic underlaying options a "stability control" slider, which is a cheating function in principle and represents no realistic system like TC and ABS. Make sure you set that to not more than 20%, and then slowly decrease it over time until you are familiar enough with things to have it set to 0. Thats the official Kunos recommendation for it, by their physics guru himself. The effect of this slider is as fundamental as the change from arcade to get-real-physics in Raceroom.- Leave ABS and tC to "factory settings", that way it is available when the real car has it, and is not available if the real car has it not.

AI is really solid and quite good now, and more: its fast. It needed to go a veeery long way, though, but the huge quality gap between this and the AI in certain other titles, is not that present anymore. I enjoy it much now in the cars I usually drive, which are not the "primadonna" cars. I attacked them quite loud over the AI last year, but have longer time ago told them that I consider all my points to be invalid now and do no longer uphold that criticism. I play almost exclusively SP.

Netcode is stable, I never, NEVER, have seen any stumbles or fumbles in the past 15 months. But that may also depend on your location and infrastructure support. Their servers sit in Europe.

P.S. Also note that "track condition" and "temperature settings" have huge impact on grip in AC. Usually track condition should not be better than "green", I often prefer one setting below that, and vary the temperature between 10 and 20°C.I do not recall this moment whether that temp is the air temp or the tarmac surface, but I recall that both temps interact in AC automatically. Important for the new tyre models v6 and v7.

Also, the pale colours, could come from having too much brightness, you can increase and decrease it in-game via Page up/down keys. That is especially important during noon time, when the places often become too bright and white-washed-out. I prefer to drive early in the morning at 0800-0900, but set the time acceleration (affects only light and could movement) to 8x, that way I have a nice range of changing lights and colours in my typical length-sessions. Or the same in the afternoon from 1500 on. The times between 1100 and 1400 I avoid completely, the dynamic light engine of AC imo does not work good here.

Try a mod named Natural Graphics, make sure to install it properly, then try it with the various time of days and cloud settings. Use a normal, natural PPF, no excessive one - most of the PPFs are for screenshooting only, I think.

• Informative Informative x 1
  17. fischhaltefolie

fischhaltefolie Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,042 / 0 / -0
    No problems with graphics here, just using ingame videosettings, everything to max, motion blur disabled.
    Possibility of making screenshots in AC seems to me much easier. Cameracontrol in R3E it's hard for me to cope with, I should do some exercises.;)

upload_2016-5-20_18-15-41.png

upload_2016-5-20_18-15-59.png

upload_2016-5-20_18-16-19.png

upload_2016-5-20_18-16-37.png

upload_2016-5-20_18-16-55.png

upload_2016-5-20_18-17-12.png

upload_2016-5-20_18-17-31.png

upload_2016-5-20_18-17-49.png

upload_2016-5-20_18-18-7.png

• Like Like x 3
  18. Metalogic

Ratings:
    +234 / 0 / -0
    Looks nothing like as good as that on my PC! I don't understand it, as I'm using an Nvidia 970M and it's showing as activated (I wouldn't be getting FPS well over 70 if it wasn't. Are you using any PP?

19. digitizer

Ratings:
    +117 / 0 / -0
    Maybe something wrong settings in Nvidia control panel ? Don't know exactly, because i'm with AMD

20. fischhaltefolie

fischhaltefolie Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,042 / 0 / -0
    My screen just makes 60 (AC says 59.94 Hz), but this almost continuous. I enabled PP but use default.