The Assetto Corsa thread

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Skybird, Aug 2, 2015.

1. Metalogic

Metalogic Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +234 / 0 / -0
    I managed to take this screenshot quickly then exited before my 120 minutes were up. It doesn't look terrible but it doesn't like anything like the crispness I saw in @fischhaltefolie screenshots nor here. This one was with all PP turned off and most eveything else maxed, but I didn't notice much improve with the default PP on. It seems to be lacking in crispness and the car colours look a bit washed out and overexposed (Exposure was set to 100% in-game)

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 20, 2016
  2. Skybird

Skybird Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +803 / 0 / -0
    If that screenie is representative for what you complain about, then you complain on a very high and luxurious niveau, I'd say! ;) I see nothing wrong or dramatic in that pic. That skin is as it is. The light blue on the chassis, further highlighted by sun reflection, should be that bright.

Mind you, it is a completely different gfx engine than Raceroom. Raceroom has more intense, some even say a bit cartoonish colour palette, AC uses more natural pastel-type colours intentionally. The brighter the day of light, the more they wash out a bit maybe, or white out, but earl yin the morning and late in the afternoon with lower suns colours should come back. Like in real life.

Do not compare the gfx engines and expect them to look the same - they are two totally different breeds.

Soon in the cinemas: George Clooney in "Men who stare at cars". :D

• Informative Informative x 1
  3. Metalogic

Ratings:
    +234 / 0 / -0
    BTW fixed the showroom low fps - there is a separate .exe for the showroom and it wasn't using the dedicated Nvidia GPU, only the integrated intel one. I now get well over 60fps :)

I still think the colours look washed-out and overexposed, though, even with the Natural Graphics filter

4. digitizer

digitizer Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +117 / 0 / -0
    Try to calibrate your display ;) Or reduce saturation in AC settings

5. Metalogic

Ratings:
    +234 / 0 / -0
    My display looks fine on everything else. I'll look into the saturation settings, though

6. rbn

rbn Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +69 / 0 / -0
    I think natural is the most soft/flattest in color. If you want more contrast try default or movie.
    You can also adjust the saturation somewhere in the options.

In terms of graphics AC beats R3E imho.

7. digitizer

Ratings:
    +117 / 0 / -0
  8. Metalogic

Ratings:
    +234 / 0 / -0
    BTW I just tried to drive the Ford GT40, it's like driving on ice - eek!

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Metalogic

Ratings:
    +234 / 0 / -0
    That looks more like I was hoping things would look - how did you get it to look like that?

10. digitizer

Ratings:
    +117 / 0 / -0
  11. Metalogic

Ratings:
    +234 / 0 / -0
    Thanks, I'll try that (obviously not the photo setting for actual racing), I already have the Natural Graphic mod installed.

I might also try to slightly warmer setting suggested:

"If you prefer a slightly warmer image, edit the ppfilter ini files and try these values at the end:

COLOR_TEMP=6250
    WHITE_BALANCE=6500"

Glad it's not just me. I'm okay with controlling the Ruf in Raceroom (unlike the Merc, sadly...)

Thanks, I'll take a look

12. Skybird

Ratings:
    +803 / 0 / -0
    The RUFs are supposed to be hard to drive, especially the Yellowbird (great fun nevertheless) and the modern RWD. The AWD should be easier.

In the Yellowbird, reduce turbo power from default 60% to 20%, then slowly increase it lap for lap. At low turbo settings you realise why they say the suspension of the Yellowbird was kind of ahead of its time - with low turbo it is a surprisingly very well-behaved car. With 100% however it will try to eat you alive. If you step onto the tiger's tail, he reacts angrily...

Try Abarth 500's with step 1 or step 3 configuration or the racing Abarth at Magione, and rumble with the car field. Try the many other smaller, slower cars as well. - And then try the Huayra really fast, for a brutal contrast. :D

Many people overlook the Lotus cars. Which they do not deserve. If you like the more direct driving in Raceroom, some of the Lotus cars should be your thing, especially when they have written "Cup" on them. :) That is because they lack the immense power of supersportcars, and are fast because they are small and light. I still must grin when seeing them on track beside for exmaple a BMW - how low they are, how tiny... :D Drive it, but do not get irritated by perplexed dogs staring in your eyes when cruising down the main s treet. LOL

Merc C9 I avoid, I cannot manage it. The Ford GT I like very much. You have to be on your guard, however, and do not push it too much.

• Like Like x 2
  13. digitizer

Ratings:
    +117 / 0 / -0
    Or can try Mercedes C9 for contrast :D

14. Metalogic

Ratings:
    +234 / 0 / -0
    With a bit of fettling, think I'm starting to get a hang of the graphics settings now... Pretty nice!

[​IMG]
    (oops, should have turned the race line display off...)

[​IMG]

EDIT: BTW Am not considering refunding any more (over 2 hours in-game anyway)! I still prefer the feel of R3E and the atmosphere, but am starting to see the attraction of AC, though it's not without its shortcomings.

• Like Like x 4
    Last edited: May 21, 2016
  15. Metalogic

Ratings:
    +234 / 0 / -0
    Have also started to find out some decent XBox controller settings and the GT cars, at least, are pretty driveable with all assists off (except for Factory settings). I haven't figured out a way to map the look left/right/back to the right stick, only to the D-Pad, AC doesn't seem to recognize right stick inputs (except pushing it in as a button), so haven't figured out how to look around the cockpit when in game - how do you look around the cockpit then? Can you use ED Tracker Pro for this, as am thinking of getting one soon?

Actually the flexibility and breadth of controller/key mappings seems to be an area where R3E seems much better than AC, or am I missing something?

16. Metalogic

Ratings:
    +234 / 0 / -0
    Wish we could have this car (Ferrari 458) in R3E!

17. Skybird

Ratings:
    +803 / 0 / -0
    Pretty much my sentiments since one year. Raceroom wins in immersion and atmosphere of places and event presentation, racing, sound, looks of places. Assetto triumphs in the range of driving for itself and car modelling. Both recipes in the way they are interpreted by both studios, are winners, imo.

Did you say XBox-controller...? o_O You miss the point of things, then. Start saving for a FFB wheel. Really. People can be fast with console controllers, yes. But the feel in no way compares to that of a wheel, even if it is not the 1000-bucks non plus ultra, but just an ordinary G27. Cars are driven by wheels, not sticks, and you also miss the world of subtle FFB in Assetto. FFB is another trump card of Assetto. Race simulation = wheel. No way to work around this formula. No wonder that you found it difficult to get the points of Assetto. I would say for seeing its shining strength, a wheel is mandatory. I think the same about Raceroom, btw. No wheel, no joy. There are even decent 900° FFB wheels cheaper than even the G27. And care for a triple pedal and gear stick.

Do yourself a favour!

Factory settings do not give you mandatory settings for active systems, only disable the availability of a system if the real car does not have it. You nevertheless can set the available system to a setting of your choice, if it has several ones, even leave it off.

I use ABS always, like they do in reality: where a car has ABS, in usually gets used. It also helps to compensate for gameing hardware deficits, wear and tear in brake pedal, too soft springs etc. TC I usually have in the lowest third of available settings, in some cars I switch it off, in most I do not. Some people make a religion of switching TC off, that is unrealistic, however, and it is not needed. Some like it, others don'T - why not leaving it to personal choice.

Note that the TC settings work the other way around than in Raceroom. In Raceroom higher numbers usually mean more TC effect (by default), in AC it is the lower numbers having more effect, TC1 is highest, TC3 or TC12 is lowest.

Me too.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  18. digitizer

Ratings:
    +117 / 0 / -0
  19. Metalogic

Ratings:
    +234 / 0 / -0
    Despite my very limited time in AC (and less than 2 months with R3E), I think your assessment is probably spot-on - which means both of these sims would seem to justify their place on my SSD...

I also noticed that the current AI in AC seems to be more aware of my car than in the current R3E AI, the former doesn't seem to blindly crash into me so often, though before the latest R3E updates, I don't remember it being as bad as this - hope this is something Sector 3 remedy soon.

Yes, I know using an XBox controller for sim racing is far from ideal, though money for a wheel setup is not the problem (well, not for the sort of setup I'm considering), it's space - the only space I have available for sim racing is a small office that I share with my wife, who works from home, using that space, in the week, though I've been thinking about possible solutions to that and actually posted a proposed "minimum viable racing" setup for comment in the S3 Hardware forum here. Would welcome any additional thoughts and comments on this! If this looks viable, I'll probably start buying the necessary bits and pieces within the next 2 months.

As mentioned in my post on the hardware forum, the wheel setup I'm thinking of getting is the Thrustmaster TX Leather Edition package - should this work well in AC, as well as R3E? Any thoughts on my monitor suggestion?

I know, I know! :rolleyes:

BTW is a separate shifter really necessary? My main interest is in racing GT3 cars (maybe WTCC cars too). Not saying I wouldn't get one eventually, I can see the fun in it for road cars, but is it necessary from the outset with a wheel setup?

I see, so do you mean if a car has ABS/TC in real life, it's not necessarily enabled by default? With the global "Factory Setting" for ABS/TC, do you need to set this on a car-by-car basis if you want to use ABS/TC?

I'd prefer to use ABS if the real car has it, and a little TC.

Okay, thanks for the info.

20. Metalogic

Ratings:
    +234 / 0 / -0
    Thanks, though is there anyway to look around in-game without using this? In R3E I can use the right thumbstick on my XBox controller to look around the car (to an extent, anyway), though in AC only the D-Pad seems to work, which is not an analog control, so is more "all or nothing". The car interiors seem nicely modeled in AC, but I can't see a way to look around them in-game, only in the showroom. The D-Pad controls are just a fixed look left/right/back.