The Assetto Corsa thread

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Skybird, Aug 2, 2015.

1. Rodent

Rodent Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +323 / 0 / -0
    Haha yeah to be fair R3E, AC, PC and Rf2 all can field a proper GT3 field, none of them can quite capture the crazy that is a Blancpain race this year which is what I was thinking of when I wrote that. AC are getting pretty darn close though.

2. Rodent

Ratings:
    +323 / 0 / -0
    Far as I know they do try to maintain a rather even BoP, "- BOP for GT3 cars " taken from the latest patch notes for example.

Edit: No idea about the current "meta" though, same goes for R3E for that matter, something is always going to have an edge.

3. Skybird

Skybird Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +803 / 0 / -0
    The debate goes on, personally I cannot identify any real dominators, while some said in the past the Huracan is too dominant on straights, before that it was the F458 (GT2), and so on. But then, I drive no MP, only against the AI and at reduced skill levels. The AI in AC is pretty damn fast. In Raceroom I must turn it to the upper maximums of the scale - in AC I need to limit it in the lowest quarter of the scale. But I use defaltz setups only, do not mess around with them beyond tyre pressure maybe.

Personally, I do not complain about dominant cars in GT classes. The cars however are more obviously differentiated against each other in driving characteristics, than they are in Raceroom. It must be due to the different physics engines both sims use. Both sims have a nice mix there, but the inter-car contrasts in AC to me appear to be more apparent. Which is why I have more candidates in AC that I never drive, since I struggle in them (not just GT class cars I mean), than I have in Raceroom. With their latest tyre physics model version 7, this contrast grew and made the cars Ialready found difficult before, even more difficult afterwards to drive. Aris, Kunos' physics guru, predicted that right this would be the case: "you will like the cars you liked before even more, and you will hate cars you hated before even more as well."

Its two very different simulations, when it comes to the driving part. Thats why I like them both so much. If they would be the same, I would not need to invest into both, but just into one.

I tend to drive GT3 in race settings and thus in Raceroom (it is better in presenting ther race as an event), while not doing races and only rarely picking GT cars in AC. I prefer simpler street cars in AC, I think that is where it really excels: relatively slow sport cars and street cars.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    Last edited: Jun 17, 2016
  4. MeMotS

MeMotS Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,056 / 0 / -0
    I was wondering how long we would have to wait for the official PR @Skybird to come around

• Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  5. Gopher04

Gopher04 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +237 / 0 / -0
    I wonder if this quote is a clue for all other sim titles..

6. Rodent

Ratings:
    +323 / 0 / -0
    Shamelessly stolen from the general forum but still: "Aristotelis Vasilakos (Kunos) EA still has the rights up to 2016 or 2017 can't remember. But Porsche has a special agreement with us"

There's hope, but not this/next year I guess? Honestly pretty ok with the faux Porsche Ruf thing R3E and Project Cars does, would rather see them go after the prancing horse or the bull but hey, I'm not going to complain if more studies land the license.

• Like Like x 1
  7. MeMotS

MeMotS Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,056 / 0 / -0
    Here is the thing i don't get about this. These car in a sim actually don't exist they are 0 and 1, putting a logo on it that says Ruf or Porsche or any cars brand "apart from the look of it" means nothing, it is still not the real thing but a emulation of it.
    A Ruf in AMS/R3e/pcar that looks exactly like the porsche its their version of it. Having the logo porsche on it does not make it suddenly better.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Skybird

Ratings:
    +803 / 0 / -0
    RUF does with Porsche what Alpina does with BMW. There is an Alpina B6 in RR's GT3 class, which is basing on a BMW M6.

In a sim, its always about what the sim does to bring the car's characteristics and features to life. Sims do that differently. Thats is why identical car models in AC and Raceroom - do not drive the same way in both sims. An MP4GT3 in AC, and an MP4GT3 in RR - are two very different things. So are the Z4GT3s, and the other cars they share.

But one can get close similarities sometimes, for example in both sims the Z4 is relativley strong and agile in turns and cornering sections. In both sims the Z4 thus gains on the other GT3 cars in these sections.

It alls stands and falls with the differences between and the quality of the physics engines, the FFB, etc. etc.

9. Rodent

Ratings:
    +323 / 0 / -0
    Well... yes and no. I mean I realize I just said I'm ok with the faux Ruf Gt3's but there certainly is something to be said for the actual license. I know I take great pleasure in Assettos Ferraris and Lambos, and R3E's Volvo 240 Turbo. It certainly helps with immersion.

Edit: True Skybird, what makes it faux is that Ruf doesn't actually make a GT3 car.

10. MeMotS

MeMotS Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,056 / 0 / -0
    Cannot deny immersion and realism. That's where it matters But when i see people saying they don't want to drive fantasy track or cars (Faux) I get a little annoyed, Like i said ultimately a track thats not laser scanned or fantasy doesnt make it bad.

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. Skybird

Ratings:
    +803 / 0 / -0
    Oh all you weak believers who are of little faith...

[​IMG]

Tid for tad. If you accuse me of being a PR agent for AC, you muist also accuse me of being a PR agent for RR. :)
    ;)
    And yes, next time RR adds some new content, I will give people over there a heads-up as well. Or somebody else will be quicker than me. Like it has been since last summer with any new content added to RR.

Could it be that you are just envious that us dual-sim-users get Porsches, and you not? :D

• Like Like x 3
  12. rd.king

rd.king Active Member

Ratings:
    +36 / 0 / -0
    I think you're missing the point
    Porsche has signed an agreement to use AC Pro as the display platform for their cars at Porsche racing centers and at dealer events worldwide.
    So if you go to a race event or car show and visit the Porsche display and try the virtual driving simulator it will be Assetto corsa.
    Not nfs not forsa not iracing or Pcars.
    The agreement signed allow Porsche cars to be license to AC regardless of the contracts with EA and turn10 that have kept Porsche out of race sims for about 10 years.

Edit: I was quick enough to scoop Skybird on this news ;)

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  13. Skybird

Ratings:
    +803 / 0 / -0
    Consider it a Porsche in disguise, then. :D Or drive the Alpina. The Alpina exist for real.

Anyway, everything is better than a Trabant. A Trabbi dressed in the colours of a GT car - that would be worrying. :D

14. Skybird

Ratings:
    +803 / 0 / -0
    Jajajaaa, this will stick to me for as long as I live, I know - rd.king was quicker than him. Understood. I will need to learn to live with that. :D LOL

15. MeMotS

MeMotS Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,056 / 0 / -0
    Envious?
    Us dual-sim-users ( is that a special club) ? So you're assuming that i don't play any other game than R3e ?
    No i am simply pointing that you keep spamming cheerleading Ac in a Sector 3 forum.

And here just in case you doubt me playing this game I actually played wednesday ( 2 days ago )
    And i own all the Dlc and quite a few racing games on steam :p

AC screen.png

And yes i will be driving the virtual 0 and 1 codes from a publisher that have paid money just to have the name porsches added to those pieces of coding.

I think you mistaken this with the fact that i am annoyed over this licensing thing its very silly. Yet here you are pumping your chest saying that "you are just envious that us dual-sim-users get Porsches, and you not?" You just proved my point right there about cheerleading and being a PR person for AC on here.

• Dislike Dislike x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    Last edited: Jun 18, 2016
  16. m.bohlken

m.bohlken Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +988 / 0 / -0
    Thats a really interesting information. So in easy words it is not Kunos that gets the Porsche-License, it is Porsche that gets the License for AC Pro and at seems that part of the deal were some Porsche-cars in AC.

17. Skybird

Ratings:
    +803 / 0 / -0
    They "signed an agreement", the official post by Kunos on FB says. Who gave whom a license first, is not really important. Both sides probably had a condition they set up to the other: Porsche wanted those business stands, Kunos the right to use Porsches in their homeversion software, too. Both agreed, deal signed, case closed.

18. Skybird

Ratings:
    +803 / 0 / -0
    Man, really: relax, you need to live your life a bit more laid-back:) As indicated by the smileys in my post that your forgot to correctly quote as well. ;)

What some studio spends its money on that it earned previously with its work, is not really anything "to be annoyed" about, don't you think!? You like what you have with their product - you play it, you don't like it - you don't play it and don't buy from them anymore in the future. Sun still shines. Life still moves on. Balls keep on rolling.

And yes, your tone made it easy to assume you do not use AC, and so I went with that assumption. I was wrong. Big deal. ;)

Just for curiosity, from that day onwhen you owned both AC and RR - how did the time spent so far on both sims distribute between both titles? Myself, I had 450-500 hours in AC before i got RR last year, and since RR arrived to my system I logged 200-250 hours more in AC, and now have over 200 hours in RR as well. Its more or less a 50:50 thing over here.

• Like Like x 2
    Last edited: Jun 18, 2016
  19. m.bohlken

m.bohlken Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +988 / 0 / -0
    Not important for Kunos for sure ;) but it is interesting because for other Sims there is no change in term of a Porsche-license foreseeable.
    My statement was more meant as a claryfing of the "licensing"-Process, as a lot people still think, that throwing around with money helps to get every license...

I'm pretty sure that Porsche was searching for a platform to present their cars in a VR-Simulation-Environment as I already read that Porsche bought a bigger amount of VR-Headsets. Well and Kunos can deliver that platform...

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. Skybird

Ratings:
    +803 / 0 / -0
    Ah. That was news to me.