The Project CARS thread

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by ::SKRO::, May 7, 2015.

1. fl0wf1r3

fl0wf1r3 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +235 / 0 / -0
    its not only the graphics, the sound is horrible for me. I can not stand it. Sounds harsh but it is what it is. 4k 4k 4k dynamic weather and the sound of the cars? the sound of the signal light at the start ... jesus, it makes my toes curl.
    Originally it was the sound that brought me to raceroom :) and I am happy here

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Gopher04

Gopher04 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +237 / 0 / -0
    Omg the start sound, your so right, can't believe they kept that, but agree overall about the car sounds, they just seem to lack life, there flat, there's no tone, it's like trying to go back to mono after having 5.1.

3. sbtm

sbtm Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +591 / 0 / -0
    we know that R3E is sound king but pcars2 has very good and improved sounds. But like everything else the audio is still WIP and they're working on the mixes. And I don't think that the sounds lack life and are flat... they're just not so "colorful" like in R3E, sadly. But the chassis noise, tire squeals, suspension noise, debris noise are better in pcars2 imo. Transmission, shifting and engine sounds are better in R3E.

4. CheerfullyInsane

CheerfullyInsane Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +402 / 0 / -0
    Let's face it, when it comes to sound, anyone who has played R3E regularly has been spoiled rotten. :D

5. Fanapryde

Fanapryde Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +410 / 0 / -0
    People judging sound may not realise it is only YouTube (stereo at best) and that the recordings will never match the real sound.
    Huge difference between the same sounds on my rig (5.1) compared to listening to them on my regular Mac too.
    Though they are still WIP, I'm pretty sure they will not be as good as R3E's. Then again, no other sim has better sounds than R3E.

But if that is the price for having triple screen support, full weather, 24 hrs cycle, seasons, multi class racing, adjustable tire pressure and more essentials, I'm happy with less detailed sounds...

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Cheeseman

Cheeseman Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +265 / 0 / -0
    R3E is still king in terms of sound for me. The samples feels more raw and accurate to a certain level but I still think some classes like GT3 and LMP1 in pcars 2 are better as they are a bit overdone in R3E in terms of how aggressive it sounds.

Pcars 2 certainly had improved but I think some content is a bit underdeveloped. Personally, I think Group A is Pcars 2's worst class by far at the moment but this is a title under development so hopefully things will improve. I had seen Group A's on track racing, they are supposed to sound deafeningly loud, not what is shown in the video that is very muted. It is almost sound like the same placeholder sound in early development.

Drove a 300ZX GTO which I am very satisfied in terms of sounds for that class in that class.

7. Mike S

Mike S Member

Ratings:
    +22 / 0 / -0
    From what i've seen in the vids on youtube, the audio is much improved in most cars over P1. It's better than AC (particularly in the porsches) but still not R3E levels. However, with all the VR improvements and gameplay improvements as well as a solid set of cars for each series this title is shaping up well. The real question is gonna be tire model.

8. RomKnight

RomKnight Active Member

Ratings:
    +34 / 0 / -0
    The best part is the positional audio in VR. Moving your head and the sound changing accordingly...

There's one option i'd like to have though (not for always as it would be tiresome). It's the possibility of having external sounds in cockpit. Because, lets face it, *some* of us (yes I can find people that never even been on a race track) just know the spectator side, not the inside (and no, YT DOES NOT COUNT as reference).

The problem is I just use cockpit mode so I feel that sometimes I need the "RL" sounds :)

9. Eisprinzessin

Eisprinzessin Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +315 / 0 / -0
    Of course

10. sbtm

sbtm Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +591 / 0 / -0
    I know some people won't like it, but here another one ;)

• Like Like x 2
  11. Gopher04

Gopher04 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +237 / 0 / -0
    I do like the look of the headlights, and real placements for them, the one thing I was watching though was the lights rear or front they seem to go with the corners, so if the cars are going round a left turn the left lights stay brighter and vise visa for the right side, didn't notice that on night races, so it might be to do with the wet weather effects.

12. Squanchy

Squanchy Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +66 / 0 / -0
    I hope they didn't put all the emphasis on rain. There sure is a lot of talk about rain around this game. It's not a rain simulator, folks :D

13. CheerfullyInsane

CheerfullyInsane Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +402 / 0 / -0
    Standard issue with something novel(ish).
    Same thing happened with PC1 for that matter. Everybody ran rain-races simply because they could.
    Then, after a month or two, it slowly petered out when people realized you usually get better racing in dry conditions. :D

14. Andy Kettler

Andy Kettler Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +1,109 / 0 / -0
    Project CARS 2 WIP | Singleplayer Race | Ktm X-Bow GT4 @ Snetterton 300

• Like Like x 2
  15. sbtm

sbtm Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +591 / 0 / -0
    you now get pretty good racing in the rain because it feels more realistic and not too slippery, we must remember they are running tires that are especially made for driving fast in the rain, so grip is not too bad. But you have to be careful because you're more likely to go over the limit with these. It's clearly harder in the rain and you slide more and often. But it's now much fun. Also the AI is not an alien in the rain now.

16. Fanapryde

Ratings:
    +410 / 0 / -0
    Edit: since it was and old build (which I overlooked) and mostly because @Glen Kabis DISLIKED it (though he did not give other info o_O) I removed the video.

• Dislike Dislike x 1
    Last edited: Jul 21, 2017
  17. sbtm

sbtm Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +591 / 0 / -0
    he unfortunately showed a very old build

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Fanapryde

Ratings:
    +410 / 0 / -0
    Ah, did not notice that. I did notice bad driving, but the replay looked good...:)

19. Cheeseman

Cheeseman Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +265 / 0 / -0
    My personal problem with the current rain tire is: No doubt they are more grippy but they do give me a false confidence that I'll be fine, until I hydroplane or pushed too far in the next corner with the car spinning to a wall or gravel pit. However, it is a lot more predictable and managable than the old snapped out suddenly feel of rain tires in Pcars 1.

Rain driving is fun, especially with Live Track.

• Like Like x 2
  20. Fanapryde

Ratings:
    +410 / 0 / -0
    Which seems to me pretty close to what happens IRL... ;)

Don't know in pC2, but it is IRL too, at least that's how I feel. Many (most) of my opponents in my karting days hated rain, I just loved it... :D
    I feel rain is a compulsory part of sim racing (as is night racing). I was happy to find out RF2 had rain too, but it is really bad implemented and a huge disappointment. It looks awful, drives awful, and with the cars I tried so far, AI does not seem to suffer at all.
    SMS can be truthfully proud on what they achieved regarding rain racing, even in pCars1, though it was not perfect.
    I still remember my first rain race in career (had not tested it before) in the Clio. The sound of the rain on the tin top was unbelievable real. We did miss the right sound of the tires on wet road, which has been well corrected for pCars2.

• Agree Agree x 1