The Project CARS thread

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by ::SKRO::, May 7, 2015.

1. alesi27

alesi27 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +233 / 0 / -0
    Can they please tone down tire smoke when turning? I haven't seen an Indycar putting out smoke at Road America under normal conditions...

2. Eisprinzessin

Eisprinzessin Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +315 / 0 / -0
    I surrender.

Bought it for EUR 38, downloading now and looking forward to this evenings VR test session.

Think i try Le Mans on the Ligier LMP2 and the Aston GTE and second the 2016 Bentley GT3 in Road America and Dubai.

3. mmaruda

mmaruda Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +95 / 0 / -0
    Just don't expect too much out of the box. As I said before, it's more of a simcade out of the box, some things might not make sense, so be prepared for the initial hours of a standard chore of FFB tuning and then spending a few more hours in the setups to make the cars you like drive the way you would expect them to from other sims (or real life, if you are rich).

In any case, don't expect too much, I would call it a sim after everything I have experienced with the game, but it's a sim-light, a sim for the everyman, not too demanding, not too hard and still with tremendous room for improvement. However, considering that we should be used to this "I wan't one ulitmate sim, but I am forced to play all of them, since none does everything perfec", this will not change the situation. It's just something worth adding to you collection at any point, some things it does well, it shines in some aspects and it can't compete with other sims in other aspects.

EDIT: Here's a complaint towards the whole simracing market: them games have betas, alphas, early accesses and are tested, shown on gameshows etc., so at this point one would expect that good FFB settings for anything should be already known months before release - why the hell are they never set as default profiles for all the 10 wheels available in the market?

4. Fanapryde

Fanapryde Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +410 / 0 / -0
    Probably because FFB is rather personal.
    I struggled at first with the standard settings and I was far from happy. With my actual settings I really like the FFB (though I have mapped some buttons tyo change FFB on the fly, which is needed for some cars - at least for my feeling).
    On the console side, the out of the box FFB settings seem to lean more towards controller users.

5. sbtm

sbtm Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +591 / 0 / -0
    this is hilarious. :tearsofjoy:

6. mmaruda

Ratings:
    +95 / 0 / -0
    Yes it is, but at the same time everyone starts fine-tuning with at least a baseline and neither CARS 2 or any other sim gives you that decent baseline - default settings in almost anything either end up clipping as hell, or not providing basic levels of detail. I mean, when they go to a gameshow, they have their rigs set up in what at least they find informative to the vast majority, so that press (and that includes simracing focused outlets) can give a more or less balanced impression on the game. What they deliver to paying customers is mostly rubbish right out of the box (excluding rF2 and AMS maybe). I am not talking about catering to everyone, but for someone who just started the hobby, it should be decent without fiddling, meaning oversteer and tire grip felt on a comprehensible and realistic leve as well as curbs and bumps.

Why? Because after several hours of playing and fiddling with the game I found it does have simulation value over the basic noob-friendly and lazy default settings of everything, or because I advise not to get too hyped for the initial experience, because my own tells me, time with the game is required to find and appreciate the aspects that are great about it?

Again, this is not the ultimate sim, some hyped it to be, it's good, but requires some time and fiddling with FFB and setups to dig into the realistic aspects some of us are here for.

7. Eisprinzessin

Ratings:
    +315 / 0 / -0
    Not sure, what to say. But i only played 1,5 hours. I recognised a step forward in turning the regulators in the FFB Setup it makes it defenetly better...fun to drive, eye candy in with oculus driving into the beginning night in Le Mans sitting in the Aston GTE. Absolutely amazing.

I think, there is some potential. Otherwise its ligt Göpfert said: a full cost update. But...i dont care. 38 Bucks is not a big deal for all the content.

In the state of now, AC and R3E are defenetly the better sims.

• Informative Informative x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. mmaruda

Ratings:
    +95 / 0 / -0
    Give it some time, fiddle with FFB and setups. It took me around 7 hours of gameplay to realize this was not a total mistake, though as I said, it's not a hardcore sim - some things are very well modelled, other are lacking.

9. nate

nate Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +875 / 0 / -0
    That sounds heinous.

Although, it beats the 15+ hrs I spent trying to understand the FFB of the first game. So, yay progress?

10. RomKnight

RomKnight Active Member

Ratings:
    +34 / 0 / -0
    I only adjust the volume wrt to FFB.

11. Eisprinzessin

Ratings:
    +315 / 0 / -0
    The Jack Spade FFB Settings work very well:

12. Lølwut

Lølwut Active Member

Ratings:
    +38 / 0 / -0
    Indeed they do. I use them too.

13. Eisprinzessin

Ratings:
    +315 / 0 / -0
    • Funny Funny x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  14. Fanapryde

Ratings:
    +410 / 0 / -0
    OK, a patch changed the track limit rules ... :)
    For those not aware: initially there was this **** rule that 50% of the car (!) needed to be on track at all times.
    I can see and feel when I got two wherels on track, but I can't see/feel the difference between 49 and 51%, which made a lot of my lap times invalid, gave me several slow down penalties during races.
    Now they are (after a lot of complaining) back to normal.
    Must say: career race in the Ginetta Junior at Knockhill in the rain was massive fun ! The feel of the car aquaplaing when hitting deep puddles (you definately want to avoid them the next lap) and the sound, AI struggling also...it was great. SMS nailed the rain ! FFB is simply very good too.
    I got some gripes too (other than tracks limits) but as it seems they are going to be fixed in next patches.

15. fl0wf1r3

fl0wf1r3 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +235 / 0 / -0
    I was just looking video about Rallycross in project cars, I'm still wondering why the leaves of the trees are totally wrong in scale!? are they not seeing this. I don't get it looks like a miniature.

• Funny Funny x 1
  16. fischhaltefolie

fischhaltefolie Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,042 / 0 / -0
    Fall is coming, problem will sort itself out.:p

• Funny Funny x 1
  17. Fanapryde

Ratings:
    +410 / 0 / -0
    There are trees with leaves like that (have them in my garden), but in general the leaves are much smaller. But making them smaller would have a much bigger impact on te system. Which is also the reason that the leaves don't fall off in winter conditions.

18. fl0wf1r3

fl0wf1r3 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +235 / 0 / -0
    but are the leaves geometry? I guess they are planes with cut out alphas. I am not familiar with the latest technology in game engines.

19. Fanapryde

Ratings:
    +410 / 0 / -0
    No idea, just repeating what I read about the 3D trees in pCars2.

20. Eisprinzessin

Ratings:
    +315 / 0 / -0
    Came back from Le Mans right now. Did there a "couple" of Laps in the Vette.

I am really surprised i have to admit. Was not a big fan of PC1 (ok, i kicked in in the rubbish cap after 2 hours), but this event war really rocking. With the medium standard setting of Jack Spade you have a really good FFB and some setup tweaks make the car really feel good.

Best racing sim in VR on the market right now. Had a lot of "o man" moments in the multiclass session.

First impression: really impressed
    What you get there for less then 40 EUR, is really a good deal i thinl. R.S.01 GT3 in Portimao was fun, too.

• Agree Agree x 1