Tire temperatures - setup helper

Discussion in 'Car Information and physics updates' started by MarcoP, Aug 12, 2021.

1. MarcoP

MarcoP Active Member

Ratings:
    +31 / 0 / -0
    On my PC it works in full screen. Since I only have this one I will not be able to find the cause. But it might be that win 7 is the issue, but maybe not.

2. Maskerader

Maskerader Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +355 / 0 / -0
    One of the fields is called "Average temperatures". These are used to suggest adjustments, right? What is the period it looks at when calculating the averages?

3. MarcoP

MarcoP Active Member

Ratings:
    +31 / 0 / -0
    Yes. The average temps are used to check if e.g. 0.1 in camber change is really neccessary if only minor changes are suggested.
    The period for calculation is the current stint whenever you drive faster than 25 km/h (I am not 100% sure. Might be 30…). 5 values per second are recorded.

4. Maskerader

Ratings:
    +355 / 0 / -0
    But that means that you're averaging the temps from the first laps, when temps haven't settled yet, with the temps from the last laps, which are the most valuable ones. Kinda like that:
    tyre-temps-average.png

So you get a constant error unless you do very long stints when it becomes unnoticable. Probably that was the reason why 15 km stint wasn't enough for you.

I'd think it's better to only take in account the last X km of the stint, where X is exactly the distance of one lap on this track. Or 2X, for two laps. This way your averages would be much more accurate with what your temps actually settle to. Maybe you could even reduce the required stint distance.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2021
  5. MarcoP

MarcoP Active Member

Ratings:
    +31 / 0 / -0
    of course I don‘t take all values. It is a list of values with a fixed length. So whenever the list is full, the oldest values are dumped.
    I think this should be what you suggested, shouldn‘t it?

6. NL-Jos

NL-Jos Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +182 / 0 / -0
    Is it not possible to indicate with this tool where you should set your camber?
    Instead of now so much lower or higher
    Sometimes find it a bit unclear because I think you have to move one to the left with a minus correction and the other to the right

7. Ricardo Rebelo

Ricardo Rebelo Member

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0
    Yeah, I guess it might make the tool difficult to be used by children who haven't yet learned negative numbers...

8. NL-Jos

NL-Jos Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +182 / 0 / -0
    Normaly you have a point, but seeing your avatar i wondering who's the child here :)

9. Ricardo Rebelo

Ricardo Rebelo Member

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0
    Man, long live the Fraggles!!! :)
    If you believe Jim Henson's work is only suited to children, then I'm so sorry for your loss!

Edit: look, a nice Gobbo Fraggle - Lucky Luke spat, what were the odds?

Last edited: Nov 4, 2021
  10. Niko Schrenker

Niko Schrenker Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    same here. no overlays visible

11. MarcoP

MarcoP Active Member

Ratings:
    +31 / 0 / -0
    Hey mate,
    Try windowed borderless mode. This worked for some people. For me it even works in full screen, so there is not much I can do… Sorry.

12. Maskerader

Ratings:
    +355 / 0 / -0
    Yeah, something like that. What's the length of the list?

13. MarcoP

MarcoP Active Member

Ratings:
    +31 / 0 / -0
    I‘ll check at the weekend.
    Edit:
    Currently the list has 2400 entries. Every 200 ms a record is written, which would mean that the list is full after 8 minutes if am not mistaken here.

• Informative Informative x 1
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2021
  14. barrier bertrand

barrier bertrand New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Good evening I don't see the link to download the software

15. Vale

Vale Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +279 / 0 / -0
    It´s at the bottom of the first post on the first page.

16. MarcoP

MarcoP Active Member

Ratings:
    +31 / 0 / -0
    Sadly this is not possible. I simply cannot access the current setup because it is encrypted. So I have no clue what your current camber is, thus I can only display what changes have to be made. Sorry mate but this is a limitation in raceroom. There are other sims which have the setups in .json files, which would be easy to read, but raceroom doesn't.

• Informative Informative x 1
  17. Maskerader

Ratings:
    +355 / 0 / -0
    So if the track is 4 km long and you do a lap in 1:30, the list has readings for the last 5.33 laps, that's 21.33 km. It proves my concerns that first laps, on which temps aren't settled yet, affect the results your app produces.

In order to get rid of all these first laps you need to do a stint of like 35+ km (so 9 laps or more). If the list of readings was shorter (or manually adjustable) you wouldn't need as much time and the results won't be affected by first laps.

18. MarcoP

MarcoP Active Member

Ratings:
    +31 / 0 / -0
    Your assumption would be correct if heating up the tires would be equivalent to laps. But it isn‘t. If the list is too small you would get wrong results because only part of a lap is taken to consideration. If you want, I can give you the code and you can adjust it the way you want. For me it worked well.

19. Maskerader

Ratings:
    +355 / 0 / -0
    What do you mean equivalent? Tyre temperatures change on the first several laps (whatever way - higher, lower - depending on various factors) until they more or less settle. For accurate results we don't want to take in account any readings that were done during this "settling" period. So currently if you want to avoid these readings, you need to drive how many laps that would take for temps to settle and then another 8 minutes. This leads to two problems:
    1) Your stint would be significantly more than 25 km.
    2) Barely anyone realises these limitations, so most people get less accurate results.

In this game there's only one track that requires such a long period to record (8 minutes), everything else is much shorter. So if you reduce the period down to, let's say, 4 minutes, that would make results, measured after 25 km stint, more accurate everywhere except on Nords. And if the recording period was adjustable (manually or automatically) that would make it possible to get more accurate results everywhere.

Oh, thanks. Unfortunately I don't know how to compile it, but thanks for the offer anyway. :)

20. MarcoP

MarcoP Active Member

Ratings:
    +31 / 0 / -0
    I understand what you are saying, but there is no way for me to find out when the temps are settled.
    To compile the code you only need visual studio. It‘s all c#.
    I can either send you a version which considers only the last 4 minutes, or you can adapt the code yourself. I will not change the version here because as far as I know it worked for everybody else.
    Let me know which way would help you and I will do it.