too much grip

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by XXVI Sol, Apr 22, 2015.

1. Matt B

Matt B Active Member

Ratings:
    +41 / 0 / -0
    I was struggling to keep my opel dtm 92 from drifting the last corner of brands hatch every single lap last night. I gave in and just decided to let it drift and use the throttle to control it :)

2. Richard Powell

Richard Powell Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +108 / 0 / -0
    I've found that Opel to be particularly tail happy, one of the reasons I haven't spent much time in it. I was four wheel drifting the Audi in that same corner behind you.

• Like Like x 2
  3. DerHek

DerHek Active Member

Ratings:
    +33 / 0 / -0
    I think it has more to do whith how the ffb settings are set on wheel and in game. Set to high you'll get clipping , and this feels like having constant grip .

4. XXVI Sol

XXVI Sol Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +104 / 0 / -0
    o_O the lack of grip u guys are talking about is due to body roll,weight transfer,suspension travelling and other nicely detailed stuff like that
    it would help if you would actually read the post,it is even underlined
    so once again the thing im talking about is exiting a corner ,for example with the 92 beamer or merc,viciously attacking the gas pedal with low gear and rear wheels not breaking traction in spite of all that torque

5. shardshunt

shardshunt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +490 / 0 / -0
    I don't understand the beemer always wants to rotate unlike the touring classics that are on the old physics model I believe. yes I get it with touring but definitely not with dtm.

6. Richard Powell

Richard Powell Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +108 / 0 / -0
    You're always sideways in that thing, sometimes I think it's a shopping trolley with a wonky wheel.

7. shardshunt

shardshunt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +490 / 0 / -0
    I'm a drifter at heart even if I get left behind I prefer to be sideways.
    But unfortunately some people don't believe in the existence of drift (iracing) they think the cars should just spin out as soon as you lose traction. Sometime when people complain about too much grip i post a link to shane van gisbergen drifting his v8 super car in celebration just to prove that race cars can get sideways. r3e seems to have this down right gt cars with lots of down force cant drift and mistakes very often lead to spins like real life but cars with low downforce like dtm 92 can be drifted all over the place

this thread is about a different issue from the rant though it seems to be about cars not rotating on the power which I honestly don't see at all.
    almost all the cars break traction as expected.
    I think its possible that XXVI is overestimating the torque which these old cars give to the wheels.
    I also think this could be a FOV issue where the users FOV is too wide so he thinks he's accelerating faster than he actually is.

• Like Like x 3
  8. m.bohlken

m.bohlken Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +988 / 0 / -0
    The Merc and the beemer don't have so much torque... and as their Engines are using a high-rev-concept, the engine arrives his max torque very late. Here for example a link to the specs of the M3: http://www.supercars.net/cars/2049.html

If you try the Mustang, you will notice a big difference.

• Informative Informative x 1
  9. Birddogg66

Birddogg66 New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    In the long run I think possibly a solution is more tire compound options. Sector3 is charging enough money for this content that would warrant that. Want less grip pick a hard tire and lower your downforce. I will agree I do see inconsistencies along the lines of the car content in game and this has existed from the beginning because I question if actual data is being used. I think these developers pride themselves on making great racing games and data wise are not the most accurate sims while still being simulation. In the end they seek to create great game play so they can continue to pay the bills.

Last edited: May 22, 2015
  10. Azfalt Raser

Azfalt Raser Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +162 / 0 / -0
    DMD 21 Prototype @ Spielberg, Default car settings, Get Real mode.
    With a bunch of mistakes, I have only been able to do 1:19.777.
    I don't know what assists the car has. I have my brake and throttle the least sensitive as possible since I have trouble locking front brakes and spinning on power application.

I have trouble with (check my invalid laps)
    Maintaining traction powering out of corner 1
    Or spins (partial power) coming out of corner 2 (the lower the gear the easier the car spins)
    Or throttle oversteer in turn 3, 4, 5, 8
    Consistent braking distances from lap to lap on the same corners.

I have no problems with brake and throttle when I drive slow.

Since you are so fast, how about some tips?
    Thanks in advance

Last edited: May 23, 2015
  11. XXVI Sol

XXVI Sol Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +104 / 0 / -0
    coming back to this thread i should have excluded omega and mustang as i have to apply gas cautiously exiting a corner unlike,beamer,merc,volvo(in spite of update)and the ones i mentioned+modern dtm's
    also i have to mention friendly brakes with no abs,comparing with other sims like AC,simraceway,rfactor and of course reality.
    In these other games wheels will block when applying the brakes hard, sometimes half way sometimes even at 1/3 of the way,in raceroom u can slam on the brakes all the way and they will block after a few seconds,this applies to every car i can think of with default setup, except the group5

12. heppsan

heppsan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,268 / 0 / -0
    It depends, both on your speed and if your brakes are up to temp.
    The faster you go, the more force can be applied before they lock up.
    But usually at least I must release presure the more speed I lose, otherwise they lock.

Do you have brake presure set to 100%?

13. David_Wright

David_Wright Member

Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0
    This could be the source of your problem. 10-20% is essentially an open diff. When you apply too much power to an open diff the inside wheel slips and limits the torque to the outer wheel. Racing touring cars should have between 50% and 80% locking on the power side. Try it and see :)

• Like Like x 2