Question User profile and search engines

Discussion in 'Community Support' started by sbarro3, Jan 11, 2018.

1. sbarro3

sbarro3 Member

Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0
    Is there a way to block the access to my user profile at game.raceromm.com for search engines?

Tobias

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. sbarro3

sbarro3 Member

Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0
  3. sbarro3

sbarro3 Member

Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0
  4. Tuborg

Tuborg Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +457 / 0 / -0
    Don't use your real name and nobody will find you.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  5. Christian G

Christian G Topological Agitator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +2,411 / 0 / -0
    Don't get this the wrong way, I'm a big advocate for privacy, but what's the (potential) damage from your pov?
    If I just google for your real name, your RR profile doesn't show up in the results. If sb knows you and they know that you're using RR (and hence searches for your name + "Raceroom"), that person already knows pretty much anything they can learn from that profile page.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2018
  6. sbarro3

sbarro3 Member

Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0
    Yes, you are both right, that is no big deal, no damage for me personally.
    Imho it would be nice if I could use my real name here and could determine the user group. I think it's important that this option is available to you.
    For the name of my son, raceroom is the only thing you can find.
    I just ask that because I was approached by a customer. In this case it was funny but I was not aware that the profile pages are open in the net (my fault, I know).

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  7. Christian G

Ratings:
    +2,411 / 0 / -0
    Like the user's real name only being visible to other (logged in) RR users or users you added to your friends list f.e.?

8. sbarro3

sbarro3 Member

Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0
    Something like this. In my case "visible for all RR users" would be a nice option.

9. Christian G

Ratings:
    +2,411 / 0 / -0
    Well, I don't know why it's the way it is and maybe there are reasons that make it neccessary, but I'll forward your suggestion, maybe it can be changed. No promises tho. ;)

10. sbarro3

sbarro3 Member

Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for your support :)

11. Tarik Userli

Tarik Userli Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +578 / 0 / -0
    I like sbarro3 idea too, i don`t like that my name is shown in google. And We´re living in 2018, so i guess thats not a big deal to change that.

• Funny Funny x 1
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2018
  12. sbarro3

sbarro3 Member

Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0
    But in this case it has nothing to do with steam. In my first post I'm talking about the user profile on game.raceroom.com, which is run by RaceRoom Entertainment AG.

Btw. steam has the opportunity to keep your profile private and let you choose who may see it for a long time. I don't want to protect steam, but I don't think they sell the user data, at least not directly. Imho they use the data by themselves but I don't think they are selling data like e.g. Microsoft and Facebook.

13. Not Lifting Off

Not Lifting Off Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +368 / 0 / -0
    • Like Like x 1
  14. sbarro3

sbarro3 Member

Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0
    No, never wondered about that ;) But I always try to show them how to avoid it.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Not Lifting Off

Ratings:
    +368 / 0 / -0
    I would imagine that practice would be extremely questionable in law (especially without permission, is that given when you sign up?), if not illegal in the uk and probably half of the EU, not a legal eagle, just my opinion
    Google tells you it is going to save your searches, location and other info in order to provide yourself and others with relevant content you even have to hit an agree button, there are also further options where you can turn off specifics in the end user options, this would no doubt be why search results vary by location. Pretty sure its the same or simillar with FB, altho i hardly use it so dont really care too much!

Last edited: Jan 29, 2018
  16. Not Lifting Off

Ratings:
    +368 / 0 / -0
    Because it is a multi billion dollar industry, advertising, paid for advertising makes people money, being able to mine that shit and serve up relevant targetted ads pays the bills and makes them money, lots of it, of course they are not going to give it up easilly.