VR Performance Tweaks & Tips

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Thomas Jansen, Apr 19, 2019.

1. nolive721

nolive721 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +77 / 0 / -0
    yes it can be frustrating I reckon
    I am not a fan of AMD GPU for VR, my experience was and is better with NVIDIA GPU but as you said you have no issues with AMS2 and AC so its something else.
    have you tried to test the Windows GPU setting, that one. it had helped with stuttering for me in the past so I leave it ON now for VR.

you might also maybe try the opencomposite method that is shared in this thread, this might have an impact. I used to use it with my RTX3080 to improve performances
    upload_2024-3-27_0-51-39.png

2. Blanes

Blanes Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +189 / 0 / -0
    Sure but no I always leave that off with nvidia and amd as it slows system down resulting in lower frame rates. Re the 7900xtx gpu in vr, for all my other race sims I am getting performance not that far behind 4090 and yes, the 7900 had big vr problems early in its release life as it was unusable but by time I purchased last December those problems are non existent for me.

I only sim race with a little flight but so far this gpu has performed incredibly well for fraction of the 4090 price. I will give openvr a try to see if working in R3E. I got some reasonable frames last nite putting my Crystal into 72hz mode where I had no frames drop with mostly 72fps locked though I had to turn the resolution in SteamVR down to 2548x 3016 compared to AMS2 at 3364 x 3980 and I can have everything on Ultra with full grid of cars and get no slowdowns. With R3E previously I had no trouble maintaining 90fps on my Pimax 8KX but that was over a year ago so something may have changed in R3E code, I really do not know but it is worse now for some reason.

I will try Openvr and see if that improves. Changing to 32bit should not improve framerate from 64bit because R3E is cpu bound and 64bit is more efficient, but is interesting is someone is getting better performance at 32bit so I will give it a try.

Cheers and thanks for the replies/feedback ;)

• Like Like x 2
  3. Tuborg

Tuborg Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +457 / 0 / -0
  4. 2ndLastJedi

2ndLastJedi Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +156 / 0 / -0
    What trickery are you using to get this high resolution? I can only get to around 3500x3500 on my Reverb G2 and 4090??

5. nolive721

Ratings:
    +77 / 0 / -0
    Personally I push 3664 3840 on my pico neo3 link thus through hacked drivers
    As I mentioned above my 4080s is able to pull locked 90fps out of the box now and with max graphics and AA
    Obviously each individual has so many variables affecting VR performance it’s always tricky to compare

6. Blanes

Blanes Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +189 / 0 / -0
    Not sure but the Crystal is a very high resolution HMD with ppd of 35. Crystal native resolution is 2880 x 2880 per eye but in Steam that goes much higher to 4312 x 5100 at 100% but can go to 6924 x 8192 at 272% I see nolive721 has 5800X3D and I have 7800X3D and those processors both have added cache that is especially good for VR. My experience is that the 7900XTX is also much better performing in VR than some reviews and analysis had me believe, so I think that paired with the cpu gives some push.

I had the Reverb G2 before Pimax 8KX and I love the G2 however I could not go back to it after swapping to and fro and eventually sold it. But then same with Crystal, it was an even bigger leap for me and even though the resolution was higher I found even on my old 3090 pc I was getting great performance. I eventually sold my 8KX but originally I thought I would not keep the Crystal and just wanted to try it out as I bought it from Amazon before Christmas when they had an offer that included free returns to end of Jan '24. I did keep it because the display is just so phenomenal. Now planning to also buy the wider FOV lenses slowly being released in batches. Bit of advice, if anyone is considering Pimax Crystal wait for a sale as they are constantly dropping the price for short periods and preferably buy from Amazon. It still has some glitchy things but 99.9% it is solid and incredible, nothing beats it .... yet !

• Informative Informative x 2
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2024
  7. nolive721

Ratings:
    +77 / 0 / -0
    yes these X3D chip do marvels in VR,I can not agree more:cool:

now regarding the Pimax, please kindly asking you to stop sharing your good experience with the headset:p

I am trying super hard to avoid bringing back the upgrade path in my head so you are not helping here:D

I started VR with a Q2 and I am happy with my Neo3Link now, really the DP port makes wonder against the image artefacts I was getting with the Q2 via Link USB or Airlink
    with the hacked drivers installed, I am really pushing the rendered resolution too but it remains a LCD screen and Fresnel lenses so not really premium visual and optics

My thinking process for the upgrade would be

1. the PSVR2 with its OLED HDR higher resolution panel assuming the PCVR implementation will be straight forward
    2. the Bigscreen beyond
    3. the MEGANEX Light from Panasonic heritage(I am in Japan...)
    4. the PIMAX Crystal

I could get a PSVR2 2nd hand over here for less than $300 in mint conditions but the other headsets are not really available on used market or available at all like the MEGANEX so its minimum $1000 equivalent(we are killed by todays FX rate) and even more than $1500 for your headset in basic option, close to $200 with bells and whistles
    plus oh boy its gigantic and heavy, do you really find it comfortable:eek:

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Blanes

Blanes Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +189 / 0 / -0
    I do not find it heavy at all. But I got used to 8KX very quickly and is about the same. I have the top comfort strap which is very good for distributing the weight.

The MeganeX sounds very cool I had never heard of that, I wonder what is its PPD ? The 35 ppd in Crystal is really a game changer imho, it just looks so .... well, Crystal Clear ! ;):D

• Funny Funny x 1
  9. nolive721

Ratings:
    +77 / 0 / -0
    Thank you Sir
    Link here sorry in japanese https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...cQFnoECBQQAQ&usg=AOvVaw3o65UxgOMkQulrMg1fJeic

It used to be backed by panasonic so they would supply the oled screen i assume
    Megane in japanese means glasses makes sense for a VR headset that looks like well glasses indeed
    Resolution is similar to bigscreen beyond and super light as well
    The actual company is called shiftall and they have a showroom in tokyo

I am planning to visit them some day next month and try the original model if available as few users in Japan had received a prototype like version

What worries me is that Panasonic is no longer the shareholder so not sure about the viability long term even if they launch the product

Anyway going for a VR session in my japanese evening
    Thanks again fot the feedback and i might ask you more about the pimax in the future

• Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2024
  10. Blanes

Blanes Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +189 / 0 / -0
    Sure, oh and sorry to fan the flames of your desire to upgrade VR :rolleyes: ... I know it is very addictive as I have owned 6 headsets now going back to Oculus DK2 which I thought was unbelievable at that time in 2014 :cool: I purchased it only to play pCars as I was an early backer and raced in VR from day One. It is the single most impactful piece of technology in my lifetime - I am not so young anymore and only will say I remember the 60's o_O

• Like Like x 2
  11. nolive721

Ratings:
    +77 / 0 / -0
    Well i remember the 70s myself so yeah no Genz here lol
    Just finished a short session in RRE

30mins of VR bless game graphics and AA maxed out the neo3link Resolution cranked up really high and a butter smooth 90fps with 20 cars on track
    I can only imagine what the pima Crystal visusl could be here

• Like Like x 1
  12. Blanes

Blanes Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +189 / 0 / -0
    Are you running 32 or 64 bit ? I gave up and back to AC and AMS2 because RaceRoom does not like my PC it seems. What resolution do you have in Steam VR ? Both your Gpu & Cpu are similar but bit lower spec than mine so I should be able to run similarly but I cannot. I have to drop to 72hz and lower everything else it stutters and looks terrible.

13. nolive721

Ratings:
    +77 / 0 / -0
    64bit steamvr launch option
    I am 3664*3840 in steamvr rendered resolution and 90hz in my pico settings

My NVIDIA control panel is all defaults and i am running my 4080s undervolted with frequency curve core set at 2680mhz

I will run with my Q2 this weekend gto see if there is sny difference with theocukus headset

• Like Like x 1
  14. Blanes

Blanes Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +189 / 0 / -0
    Just tried 32bit and it crashed to desktop ... I am scratching my head just why it runs so poorly on my system. I have tried so many things. My PC is highly optimised and it runs AMS2, pCars2, rF2 and AC incredibly well at very high resolution with high frame rates. I have ACC and it has always run poorly, it is okay but I never even play it anymore as it is so clunky and just not worth the hassle.

But I always enjoyed R3E so much that I am really frustrated & disappointed that it no longer runs well on my PC which is at many times faster than my old PC which ran R3E well a year ago. Something has to have changed in the way R3E works but I just do not know what else to do. I

Are there any other R3E users out there with 7800X3D cpu & 7900XTX gpu ? Maybe it is just the gpu it does not like ? @nolive721 has also AMD cpu & gpu and he gets incredibly good performance. I do not understand at all and I guess there is slim hope of any help from the game devs on matters such as this.

15. nolive721

Ratings:
    +77 / 0 / -0
    Hello

important correction my GPU is NVIDIA 4080 super not AMD

I did try a 7900xtc few weeks ago and was not impressed of the improvement vs the RTX3080 I had at the time

unfortunately I didn’t test RRE at the time sorry

16. Blanes

Blanes Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +189 / 0 / -0
    My bad, I was looking at specs of somebody else ! Yeah I just been trying some different settings but always I have to reduce the resolution so much that it looks too ugly. There has been some sort of degradation of how R3E plays since I upgraded my system so it obviously does not like my gpu. I would not swap the 7900XTX for 4080 as it performs awesome in everything else. I just think this DX9 gfx engine is well past its use by date. There was some talk going back few years that the gfx engine was getting an overhaul, did that idea die or still in the pipeline for maybe my grandkids to race one day !?

• Like Like x 1
  17. Tuborg

Tuborg Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +457 / 0 / -0
    [QUOTE="There was some talk going back few years that the gfx engine was getting an overhaul, did that idea die or still in the pipeline for maybe my grandkids to race one day !?[/QUOTE]

Time 25:40

• Like Like x 2
  18. nolive721

Ratings:
    +77 / 0 / -0
    As much as I love AMD my MSI VENTUS 4080s was cheaper than the cheapest 7900xtx here in Japan so it was a no brainer for me

I am not holding my breath on RRE graphics engine overall to be honest now I lost my illusion despite these announcements few months ago nothing will happen let’s be honest

doesn’t mean I am not enjoying the Game as is though

I just hope DX9 support from NVIDIA will not die soon so I can still enjoy it for years

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Blanes

Blanes Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +189 / 0 / -0
    Listening to that, well yeah I do not believe it will happen. The work involved is to build a complete new racing sim game. They will not do it is my opinion and it is similar to what was heard or spoken over the years. It is a dream no doubt but a dream only. The opportunity to take RRRE to a new level is long gone and even AC with mods is far beyond such dreams.

It is a shame as the racing is good in RRRE and I like many have invested in the game for many years, both time & money. Sadly you get to a point and for me is now because it just does not run satisfactorily and I will not change a Gpu for only this, it makes no sense.

• Agree Agree x 2
  20. 2ndLastJedi

2ndLastJedi Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +156 / 0 / -0
    Thanks but for me its the 4090 that is limiting my performance not my CPU, any faster CPU wouldn't help me as its the GPU being pushed at this resolution and some how you guys have slower GPU's and you get better performance. Maybe its the Reverb and WMR OpenXR that causes the difference. The Reverb could be a worse HMD on the performance side.