Well, that´s it. The current AI sucks.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ClayytonBR, May 16, 2016.

1. Alex Bonner

Alex Bonner Active Member

Ratings:
    +34 / 0 / -0
    For me the A.I. are clean and very competitive while set to adaptive. We're getting very different behaviour.

Tested the WTCC15's @ Zandvoort 2 weeks ago and had a great race. Personally based on that race I thought they was great. I would guess I've done something like 6 races with them to learn my pace.

Really don't seem were talking about the same game.

• Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    Last edited: May 17, 2016
  2. Rodent

Rodent Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +323 / 0 / -0
    It's alright to enjoy the R3E AI, certain car/track combos arguably work better as well. It certainly doesn't have to be hot lapping, multiplayer or bust. There is room for legitimate complaints though as J-F himself acknowledged, the AI is not what it was.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. T.L

T.L Member

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    Well my experience is the opposite. I came from Project Cars frustrated with the A.I. and are very impressed
    by the A.I. in R3E compared to PC.(I only drive Formula if that matters)

• Agree Agree x 3
  4. gio_vtec

gio_vtec Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +117 / 0 / -0
    If you don't like the R3E AI, I recommend you to try others games AI, for me R3E is by far the best AI compared to AC or pCARS.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  5. Skybird

Skybird Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +803 / 0 / -0
    I manually vary the aI with fixed settings between 100 and 120, depending on car class. Last time I tried adaptive AI, was last year in summer or so, it indeed was not convincing, both by design system and result. Better set it manually, don't care for the hassle of adaptive AI.

The AI itself in R3E imo is very good. Its just the self-adapting that leaves many question marks.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  6. maxx2504

maxx2504 Member

Ratings:
    +20 / 0 / -0
    Hi !

I think AI isnt bad at all. I like it definitely more than the stupid AI from Project Cars for example.

But i have another point to discuss here. I worked with rFactor 1 many years, also i tried to mod some cars and also the AI of the game, which was sometimes really anoying. You can set the AI in the HDV file of a car and also in a track file, which i forgot what file that was. I know, before you judge me, that rFactor is not R3E...BUT:
    There was the entry "Slow when pushed" and it seems that the R3E AI work the same or maybe similar. If thats correct i would recommend to turn that off. Sometimes the AI totally went slow when you are behind them and they brake too early. Its maybe nice for beginners but its not a real driver would react.

Is it possible to change that or if i am totally wrong with my guess about the "slow when pushed" theory ? :)

• Like Like x 1
  7. William Wester

William Wester Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +70 / 0 / -0
    One of my frustrations is related to braking... no other sim I race exhibits the same braking issue. In AMS or rF2 I can almost bump draft the car in front of me and if I time my braking at the same point as the guy in front we stop at the same rate. In R3E I have to hit the brakes way before the AI or I will run into his rear. I've played with settings.

• Agree Agree x 4
  8. Gerbuho

Gerbuho Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +264 / 0 / -0
    It only "sucks" in ADAC 14 Exp and GTR2. The rest goes from 'ok' to 'great' in some cases.

9. ClayytonBR

ClayytonBR New Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    My last try will be reinstalling R3E, which I honestly don´t believe will solve the problem. I personally think Project Cars AI better right now, well, at least they try to overtake me what doesn´t happen in R3E at all. That´s just my opinion.

• Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. digitizer

digitizer Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +117 / 0 / -0
    For me pCars AI's is more stupid even in AC. They try to overtake, but how ? They all should have W rating at minorating :) If R3E AI's don't overtake you, just increase AI's lvl

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. MeMotS

MeMotS Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,056 / 0 / -0
    I was wondering. Is that file shareable ? Like i would like to try the file of someone who has done a lot of lap with the Adaptative Ai on and see how it respond.

12. digitizer

Ratings:
    +117 / 0 / -0
    Yes, but you need this file from driver with near the same skill

13. digitizer

Ratings:
    +117 / 0 / -0
    I race against AI's in AC just yesterday. Yes, they very good, but not with every car. Something strange with Supra (or RX-7, can't remember). I'm do mistakes and going of track, 3 AI's overtake me, but after several meters they slow down on the straith for near 20-30 km/h and wait while i'm overtake their. Looks like slowdown penalty. And second strange, AI's going to pit after every lap in the race.

But in R3E i like AI's more, because adaptive. Its much more better for me then find good AI's lvl every time for car/track combo

14. GooseCreature

GooseCreature Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +670 / 0 / -0
    Save up and get yourself a new Nvidia GTX1080 as they can sort your triple screens out, capable of perspective correction so maybe the delay in development is justified up to a point if hardware is moving in this direction, use triples myself and would very much like to have a rear view mirror to scale rather than the same size as my boot lid.

15. James Cook

James Cook Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,013 / 0 / -0
    Yep, said about this problem many times but it seems to be considered a non-issue or is filed under 'you're doing something wrong'.

I don't get this AI braking behaviour in any other sim and I drive them all the same way.

R3E is on the verge of being shelved again because the AI is straight-up annoying to race with.

16. Fleskebacon

Fleskebacon Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +258 / 0 / -0
    Why can't they ship a little more aggressive default adaptive AI file with the game? I kinda suck, but I'm lapping the default AI bigtime and winning by minutes when racing a car/track combo I haven't raced before.

Wouldn't be too hard adjusting that default just a little bit?

17. Christian G

Christian G Topological Agitator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +2,411 / 0 / -0
    Hard, not so much. Time consuming, yes very.
    The thing is you might think you suck, but that depends on who you're comparing yourself with. So they always have to bear in mind the gameplay aspect and that there are users who have little to no experience and/or talent (of course that does not include anybody on this forum :D ).

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Chocoloco

Chocoloco Member

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0
    Just race with a fixed ai level to set some times for adaptive to adjust to.

• Informative Informative x 1
  19. Skybird

Skybird Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +803 / 0 / -0
    I have seen AI lines in PC that made me think it was a Golf simulation with AI players training to get the ball moved from one to the next sandbox.

Where there is no AI, it cannot be dumb. PC often gave the impression to simply have no AI. At least that was my impression when watching it in the weeks after release. Maybe it has changed since then. Would be better for them.

20. Fleskebacon

Fleskebacon Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +258 / 0 / -0
    True. I agree it's more frustrating when things are too hard, compared to when they are too easy... :)

And I finally beat one of your times on Nords, so I'm pretty satisfied with myself these days. :cool: