what do you think of a real "get real" for online races?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by oppolo, Feb 3, 2016.

1. oppolo

oppolo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +47 / 0 / -0
    offline they can play how they want..but if I join a server called "get real" I would like to have all people in the same level, at least via software...only my idea offcourse

2. k.C goran

k.C goran Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +94 / 0 / -0
    @Brandon Wright sorry mate,but if I care about percentage of user's,i won't drive R3E.There's something else that keep me onwards with it.(still beta ;))

3. Tuborg

Tuborg Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +457 / 0 / -0
    It's a competition right? Some people want to compete under the same conditions. This is something for dedi-servers.

It's an opinion and i like to hear your on this:

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Christian G

Christian G Topological Agitator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +2,411 / 0 / -0
    But that's exactly what I said. ;)
    All those settings could be given as options to server admins so if someone wants to force cockpit view on his server for ultra realism then he can set it up that way. All those searching for the same kind of realism can join, all others look somewhere else.
    The term "Get Real" mostly refers to the actual driving characteristics of the car (no aids) and not so much to the "superficial" stuff.
    That's a bit of a black-and-white view of things which might be perceived as excluding. A bit like saying "you've bought a Land Rover so why do you still drive on roads when you clearly went and bought an off-road vehicle?" ;)

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1
  5. Brandon Wright

Brandon Wright Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +312 / 0 / -0
    I guess I just don't understand how someone driving with a different view puts them on a different level. But I'm not trying to argue about it, just my opinion.

I think you just proved my point. ;)

Yes, in a dedicated server where everyone wanted to be forced to race a certain way it would be fine. I just tend to bristle up at the notion of forcing people to play a certain way. The sim racing community is already small and divided enough and to me that just creates even more division.

Again, just my opinion, what people do in their private servers is their business, but I don't think it would be great for public rooms in a game with so few users (and that's really what my comments were directed towards, wasn't trying to stir the pot). I'd rather them focus on things that got more people in all of the servers.

• Agree Agree x 4
    Last edited: Feb 3, 2016
  6. Not Lifting Off

Not Lifting Off Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +368 / 0 / -0
    Server options when activated will give everyone the choice, personally i see empty "get real" servers, this game just isnt busy enough right now for this!
    I bought this game and any other game because i like the genre, i like the idea of racing a pretend car in a pretend world at pretend speeds, the only thing real about it is car and track names and a lap time that isnt relative, get everything tied in, there are so many things that need sorting to make the "get real" experience real that the suggestion is miles off, IMHO. Im sorry if you want to "get real" then get real! A real race car a real track with real life\live opponents.
    It just makes me think cockpit snobbery, cause you or anyone else want to drive cockpit then that is the get real mode, you must be more skillful (you probably are) have a better system, bigger monitor whatever, my dicks bigger than yours (it probably is)!
    When you start dividing a small community by forcing something like this it creates an elite that really isnt needed, wanted or warranted right now, maybe call that level "elite".
    My first computer racing experience was with a small monitor and low res, the cockpit was just unfeasable for me at that time, i drove bonnet view then and i drive bonnet view now a 25 yr old habit, its one that is going nowhere soon, i dont see the attraction of the cockpit, its each to their own and thats it for me right now, why do or force something that you dont enjoy. The only time this changes is for single seaters where the cockpit view is feasable and realistic compared to a closed cockpit with very limited view and a third of the screen hidden by plasticy\leathery black or grey fakeness.

As i say each to their own, but for me, i`ll take the other server thanks.

I drive bonnet view, i could quite easilly give you a recording of me driving the cockpit, does that make it real or prove im driving cockpit?

• Agree Agree x 1
    Last edited: Feb 3, 2016
  7. Tuborg

Tuborg Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +457 / 0 / -0
    As I thought, our views are not so different.

8. Mich Angel

Mich Angel Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +216 / 0 / -0
    I don't understand the fuzz, neither cockpit or bonnet view are closer to real, they are more or less equal to real. Cockpit cam is to far back if you don't have a insane big screen and sitting close to it and everyone have a insane big screen right.. since in a real car you actualy onle see the dash when you look down on it so cockpit's not so real. So compared to real life the bonnet is closer but ingame bonet cam is to far front so that's not so real. Well then what is you wonder..
    A helmet cam and look to apex is only thing I've seen in sim that even remotly look as real as it gets, so forcing cockpit or bonnet view is most likely done by peps who actualy don't have a drivers licence and think that is what you see in a car (yea it is if you have a 49" screen 1 meter from you then is probably are close to real). BUT! Newsflash cockpit view isn't close to real, most stuf you see in cockpit view is normaly in perifial view that mean you actualy don't see it untill you move your head and focus on it.

To use a cockpit view so it resemble a real life view you need either a serious big screen, triple screen or to zoom in a lot then probably use IR tracking to track players head view so incar avatar head move to wherever you look on the screen that'll probably get realy close to how it is real life, but still that asume you are using a open helmet or no helmet....
    That is something everyone can aford and or already have right... driving on equal terms.. RIGHT!

So to sum it up foricng eather cockpit view or bonet do not make it more real or equal because then you asume all have as good gear, computer and same big screen, track IR or triple screen as you and that is BS frankly speaking... Some drivers maby can't drive cockpit for their screen are to small, how is that fair to them to lock the only view they can drive in. And maybe they would be very competitive drivers and would be a great asset to a good race, but now their not allowed.?? ...That's just stupid!!

Come back with forced driving view when you have a helmet cam and a true corect look to apex, then it shore is equal for all.. else it is just ignorant BS forcing a driving view...

But this is my opinion you are of cause entitled to yours and I respect that
    ;)

Edit: I have a 49" screen on meter from me... <--- unnecessary info :p

• Agree Agree x 4
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2016
  9. Christian G

Christian G Topological Agitator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +2,411 / 0 / -0
    [​IMG]
    ;)

• Funny Funny x 3
  10. Mich Angel

Mich Angel Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +216 / 0 / -0
    I understand you and agree with you when it come to get real servers I avoid joining any of them if not all options are on but I do exception to that and get in to the one get real with most active setting if there are few drivers.. so I get to race at all ;)
    I to only run cockpit view on big screen and sit close so it give a pretty close to real feeling.

That said, the reason why I think forcing cockpit is bad, there are a insane amount of really good drivers who would make a race a lot more competitive and fun but they just cant drive with cockpit and use hudcam because they do not have big screens or triple screen and will probably never have... and so on.. Or they just don't want to drive with cockpit, locking them out is in my point of view stupid and ignorant.
    EDIT:I've seen T.Glock and B.Spengler drive in sim they use hudcam..

I think letting all competitive drivers who race well and fair give you more and better races and that is more important in the end, than having a few selected racers having the possibility to join because they use cockpit
    (cockpit view don't make for automatically competitive or good drivers in a sim race) .
    I understand what you are getting at with forced cockpit and all that close to real, but isn't it good drivers you want in a get real race...

Then maybe a forced to hudcam or cockpit view with all option to get real as it can be, would bring in alot more good drivers than only cockpit drivers would. In my point of view that would be a win, win situation.. but maybe, that's just me.. ;)

• Agree Agree x 1
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2016
  11. Öberg

Öberg Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +107 / 0 / -0
    Not really looking to get into the discussion, but here is why im using Hood-view:

I have a DFGT and a single screen, no fancy seat with buttkickers or tripplescreens (can you hear the envy?)
    Therefore the information that is availible to me is less than that of someone with a better, more sophisticated hardware setup.

From this point I have 2 choices, maximize my personal immersion or maximize my driving performance.
    (maximizing immersion using a DFGT and singlescreen is.....well....somewhat futile)

I almost exclusively play MP so my personal immersion is not the only thing that matters, there are other players too.
    Using cockpit view would leave half the screen with rollcage and interior of the car, further limiting my situational awareness.
    My awareness is already hampered enough as it is.
    Starts of races is straight up panicmode for me as im looking left/right/behind with the APM of a Korean Starcraft Player, trying to assess speed, lines, distance and intentions on multiple cars around me (infront, behind, side by side into T1)
    Giving myself even LESS situational awareness (information) isnt something I want to do because it would mean more mistakes and more crashes.

Since I play MP I value not crashing into people and ruining their races higher than slightly increased personal immersion.

I agree Hood-view is less realistic, but in my case absolute realism isnt what im aiming for, specially not with my current hardware.
    Im looking for good, fun, clean racing in MP and using cockpit view would worsen the quality of racing in my case.

Hood-view = more infomation
    More information = higher precision
    Higher precision = better racing for everyone involved.

Or all of this is just my self-justification for having an "advantage".
    I dont think so, but its possible I am decieving myself ;)

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  12. Ernie

Ernie Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +304 / 0 / -0
    Agree.
    There are a lot of simracers/players sitting in a racing seat about 2-3meters away from a TV. With this setup you can't argue that bonnet cam is more realistic than cockpit view. Therefore cockpit and bonnet cam could both be a realistic (GetReal) option, depending on its own simracing setup.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Not Lifting Off

Not Lifting Off Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +368 / 0 / -0
    Lol azfalt!!! Nope!

Its a 3 year old game, there had better be some major changes and soon if u ask me, not that you did but i thought id throw it out there anyway! A mojor drop in prices, an intro offer and a come back please were begging you cause we screwed up previously an wanna show you how good we could be. "Could be" This "game" could be epic, but it is slow, too slow, way too slow for the modern day gamer, "we" want it now and this game as good as it "is" isnt producing now!
    Buy a game!!! And play it too get the most enjoyable experience possible, the description of a sim in MHO has been lost over the years, and the real sims were lost with them years! But it is a good game!
    To get a realistic view, tracking is the only way to go, how else do you replicate the look left, look right, up down of real world driving?
    I like what you posted till here, now we disagree, its only on a whim, but i dont see how hood view is any less realistic than cockpit in a game, neither in my opinion are realistic, but if i had to choose one cause it made me feel closer to waht i would get when driving a real car then hood\bonnet it is.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2016
  14. Azfalt Raser

Azfalt Raser Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +162 / 0 / -0
    lol. Sometimes i see the date and take it for granted that it's the current year. :D

Frankly, it's just not possible to get simulated realism by some of these post's definitions. Everyone changes the meaning by just a slight degree.

Wouldn't it be cool though, if we all had mini wind tunnels with moving floors with a real car sitting on it and "shakers" connected to the suspension arms. To simulate impacts, we just let the computer unhook the car from the moving floor so it's shot into the wall.
    HAHAHAHAHA :D Now that's a SIMULATOR!!

Hell! Sign me up. I'll try it.....once

• Funny Funny x 1
    Last edited: Feb 5, 2016
  15. Brandon Wright

Brandon Wright Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +312 / 0 / -0
    Well, moving your head left and right while keeping your eyes forward isn't exactly realistic. That's why I opted for triple screens, I move my head left and right to look left and right. If I want to look at my wing mirror I move my head and look in the same direction as I would in a real car, and that adds buckets to the immersion factor for me. I never have a reason to look up or down in a race car.

Not arguing with you or anything, just my opinion. I like the concept of head tracking but the one time I tried it I found it awkward and a bit unnatural feeling. If I only had one screen I could see it being beneficial.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Tuborg

Tuborg Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +457 / 0 / -0
    Please take no offense, but yes i think so. You know your one of the fastest.
    You described the "advantage" pretty good.

Hood-view = more infomation
    More information = higher precisionen

And this is what the fuzz i about.

I think that the most realistic view is somewhere between hood-view and cockpit view as long as you are behind the windshield. Behind the windshield you will have to deal with shadows, effects of the sun and reflections from the interior (try the BMW 320 turbo). You will get less "information", as in real life.

With the bonnet/hood-view you have nothing between your eyes and the track. Is that true to life?

Yepp, I don't think that cockpit view will be forced on anyone, if we ever will see mandatory cockpit view it will be implemented as a feature for dedi-servers.

We will as now still have the possibilety to choose something else, freedom of choise.

17. pixeljetstream

pixeljetstream Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +412 / 0 / -0
    agreeing with those that say "whatever works" ;) As long as the physics models is the same, that's enough. Everyone should "enjoy" the game with their hardware setup.

While bonnet may be less real, in reality you have stereo vision, you can move your head freely, you can feel the car... there is a lot more information overall, so I think pointing out the "less information" from bonnet vs cockpit, is a bit weird considering we lost so much information already in the game vs reality...

Used bonnet until I went tripple screen, as I just didn't see the point of cockpit on a smallish screen. Some may enjoy, that's cool, I didn't. Totally love the cockpit now for immersion, much more fun, but without the extra screen area to play in "real fov" it just wasn't fun

There is too much variability in the gear we use to be really "fair" when it comes to the perception of the surroundings. As others said, rather have more people playing, than niche of niche. In the end this is a game, we do this for fun and recreation, so I would scale back on the need for absolute competition. I would argue the guy who beats you with bonnet, probably beats you in a nice rig with tripples or tvs... as well. And if not him, then some other guy ;)

• Agree Agree x 2
  18. Tuborg

Tuborg Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +457 / 0 / -0
    That's right, the fastest guys will probably still be among the fastest no matter how they drive. The difference is not that big.

• Agree Agree x 1