Windows 10 performance with RRE

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Oliver Augst, May 11, 2015.

1. nipzon

nipzon Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +59 / 0 / -0
    I installed mine on a seperate drive but on the same computer. Is there a way to activate it?

Thought I would test it first before upgrading completely.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2015
  2. FormelLMS

FormelLMS Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +229 / 0 / -0
    No, you have to update once because you get a new key then. Sorry!

3. Dave R

Dave R Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +576 / 0 / -0
    I had nothing but trouble and am back on Windows 7. A few of my games didn't work (Madden 08, Tiger Woods 08, and NR2003). I had massive frame rate drops with Assetto Corsa, and couldn't get Stock Car Extreme to work either. It worked on with R3E, but not really worth it to lose games I play at least a few times a week. So glad I made a backup.

4. nipzon

nipzon Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +59 / 0 / -0
    Well I had those fears and hence the reason for doing it on a seperate drive first. At the moment I am battling default sound as my SoundBlaster Z I think does not have a valid win10 driver. Steam is busy uploading, but with no sound seems a waste of time

5. Sm1ggs

Sm1ggs Member

Ratings:
    +9 / 0 / -0
    hi, i have just tested windows 10 with the new Amd 15.7.1 drivers and i do get 7-10 fps lower than windows 7 also had to turn shadows down to medium witch made no difference. so now back on 7 and all is good

• Informative Informative x 2
  6. Sean Kenney

Sean Kenney Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +316 / 0 / -0
    thanks for the info.

• Like Like x 1
  7. machwebb

machwebb Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +224 / 0 / -0
    yeah cheers man....I'll wait me thinks! if it ain't broke an all that!

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Mike Demers

Mike Demers Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +59 / 0 / -0
    havent touched my gaming pc but a newer HP Envy i7 Laptop didnt reboot after the update. I got the something happened screen and that was all she wrote - Even the recovery partition got updated with Win 10 stuff so the Win 7 Pro stuff is gone. Getting my files via a linux boot cd and then I will have to reinstall everything. What a piss poor way to do things. Send us a link to download the ISO , send us a key and let us do it. This automatic update business is garbage IMO

9. Sean Kenney

Sean Kenney Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +316 / 0 / -0
    I thought you could get an iso?

10. Ernie

Ernie Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +304 / 0 / -0
    You could use the Media Creation Tool from Microsoft to create an installation from USB or DVD.

11. nipzon

nipzon Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +59 / 0 / -0
    The media creation tool works great but it does not activate windows so I will have to wait for them.

Found out last night that even though I have win10 on a seperate drive dual boot kind of still works. Pressing and holding the shift key while mouse selecting restart opens up another tools window where you can select another OS to boot to after the restart. I use to be able to select which OS I want to boot to from my BIOS but since the win10 installation that option is no more.

It's taken me awhile to get all the drivers loaded as some sound drivers are not win10 happy yet, so I used win8.1. nVidia surround was a bitch to get right, so It might be because of the new look but I noticed RRE, AC and RF2 loads much faster. RRE looks a million miles better with all default settings. So far win10 looks like a keeper.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2015
  12. Arthur Spooner

Arthur Spooner Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +432 / 0 / -0
    According to what I have read in c't (a very well known german computer magazine) you will be able to download an ISO to have a clean install. BUT if you want the free upgrade you will have to successfully install it through the update functionality in Win 7/8.1 first. Until you haven't done so, you will not be able to activate an installation made with the ISO.

They also wrote they don't know how MS will handle this in detail.

My guess is that the free update process transfers the old Win license to Win 10 and this is the only way to do so to get the update for free on an existing Windows license.

After that (according to c't) the new Win 10 license will have the same lifecycle as the old license it was derived from. So if the license was bundled to some hardware (e.g. laptop) the new license will be bundled to that hardware again. If it was a "normal" license which you could install on any one computer you like, it will be the same here too.

But be aware that licensing laws are a bit special in germany. So this might not be the case for everyone.

13. Tarik Userli

Tarik Userli Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +578 / 0 / -0
    Hm. I have no fps drops in win10, runs great. Just the rivatuner didnt Run.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  14. GooseCreature

GooseCreature Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +670 / 0 / -0
    Guys there's no panic, you will get 12 months to upgrade. I'm fortunate that I have several PC's at my disposal, 2 of which I've upgraded to Win 10. There will be driver problems initially (always is) with the big boys as well (nvidia, creative etc) but these will be ironed out. Win 10 is a lot leaner and with directx 12 is gonna be a revelation for gamers, Microsoft is pumping millions into the gaming side and with Xbox one coming on board and going to win 10 also by the end of the year it looks like the future is bright! :)

Just remember to check compatibility with your kit before you upgrade and all will be fine, relax! :rolleyes:

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. Tarik Userli

Tarik Userli Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +578 / 0 / -0
    For all who is missing the RivatunerStats. I have installed today the remote app for android and now i can see the stats before the winupdate. Its not the first choice option but better then nothing.

Here is the link.

http://gaming.msi.com/features/afterburner

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  16. Sm1ggs

Sm1ggs Member

Ratings:
    +9 / 0 / -0
    ok update this is intresting i have now done a complete windows 10 install using the windows media creation tool from a usb drive,mine activated fine as long as you upgrade from window 7 or 8 first. before it was just the upgrade option from windows 7, in game all settings same as last test and now im only loosing 2 or 3 fps so i think a fresh install is the way to go:)

17. Alex Bonner

Alex Bonner Active Member

Ratings:
    +34 / 0 / -0
    I installed win 10 yesterday and im regretting it badly. Raceroom wont get past the first loading screen and needs to be killed in task manager. I done a completely clean of win 10 before installing any other program (graphics driver, steam) and kept nothing from previous install.

No doubt its not the same for all but my advice is just wait a bit till its straightened out.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  18. Peter Koch

Peter Koch Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +191 / 0 / -0
    • Agree Agree x 3
  19. nipzon

nipzon Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +59 / 0 / -0
    It has to be something to do with all the visuals that got loaded when RRE started up for the first time.

20. Alex Bonner

Alex Bonner Active Member

Ratings:
    +34 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for the help guys. Tried installing a fresh copy twice now just in case something funky happened on first startup. Apart from the main folder and the folder in Docs is there any others I should delete before giving it another go?