WTCC Cars Tire flat spot??

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Ron Watmore, Sep 24, 2020.

1. Ron Watmore

Ron Watmore Member

Ratings:
    +14 / 0 / -0
    Just wondering if something changed with these cars or the tire model. I cannot drive them anymore. After a few laps and maybe one or two skids the handling or FFB just goes crazy. Even when I turn on abs it still does it. These were my favorite cars and had been driving them with no problem previously. Thanks

2. Hervé45

Hervé45 Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +135 / 0 / -0
    Modify your rcs like that
    Documents/My Games/SimBin/RaceRoom Racing Experience/UserData/ControlSet

FFB flatspot magnitude="0.0" // How strong the flatspot rumble is. Range 0.0 to 1.0, 0.0 disables effect.
    FFB flatspot wave type="0" // Type of wave to use for vibe: 0=Sine, 1=Square, 2=Triangle, 3=Sawtooth up, 4=Sawtooth down.

• Informative Informative x 1
  3. Ron Watmore

Ron Watmore Member

Ratings:
    +14 / 0 / -0
    Thank you so much! That did it. Did something change in the past month? This never happened to me. Also it was set at .35. Is that the default? And is sine the least vibe of the 4? Thanks for your time Herve

4. Hervé45

Ratings:
    +135 / 0 / -0
    What is your wheel?

5. Ron Watmore

Ron Watmore Member

Ratings:
    +14 / 0 / -0
  6. Hervé45

Ratings:
    +135 / 0 / -0
  7. Ron Watmore

Ron Watmore Member

Ratings:
    +14 / 0 / -0
    Ok, I will read through that post. looks like the same problem. Thanks again

8. Arthur Spooner

Arthur Spooner Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +432 / 0 / -0
    It's just the same issue nearly every TM user has recently. S3 are on it, but for quite a long time already. Seems to be a difficult one.

9. Ron Watmore

Ron Watmore Member

Ratings:
    +14 / 0 / -0
    OK, its just weird I never felt it earlier. Just set the flat spot to 0.0 for now and it is fine. Thanks

10. Grimmi

Grimmi New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    No problems with T300 RS. Win10 + newest firmware/drivers.

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. Goffik

Goffik Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +170 / 0 / -0
    Same here. Strange how a few of us seem to be unaffected by this issue.

12. Arthur Spooner

Ratings:
    +432 / 0 / -0
    Maybe not everyone is affected but please keep in mind that you cannot have the issue as long as you only drive cars with ABS or maybe you have a superb brake control - no lockups --> no flatspots --> no issues.

On my old TS-XW I had the issue for the first time when I tried the DTM '92 BMW E30 on Hockenheim. A few tiny lockups was enough, I didn't even feel the "normal" vibration of a flatspot. But at the end of the Parabolica straight my wheel was starting to violently pull to the sides. Felt a bit like FFB got inverted all of a sudden.

13. Grimmi

Grimmi New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Flatspots working fine for me. (all cars with no ABS)

14. ravey1981

ravey1981 Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +873 / 0 / -0
    Yeah we haven't fully gotten to the bottom of this yet. Some wheels show the issue and others don't which is very strange. There certainly seems to be a firmware element to it but we have found that simply updating to the latest versions doesn't seem to work for all TM wheels. I am on a t300 myself and have never had the problem....

It is almost certain that it's the flatspot effect that is doing it but there is no reason why it should cause such issues....in essence it's no different to any other effect.

The best way to test if you think you have this problem is to try with in game damage set to limited, that disables the flatspot code and will prevent the problem from happening. If that shows that flatspots are the issue then change the values in the RCS as @Hervé45 mentioned earlier.

• Informative Informative x 1
  15. Goffik

Goffik Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +170 / 0 / -0
    T300 here, and I routinely drive cars with no ABS. My brake control is ok in general, but having read about the issue on these forums I have deliberately flat-spotted my tyres on occasion to see the problem for myself... without "success". Flat-spotted tyres feel normal on my wheel, no adverse effects.

I guess that's why S3 are having such a problem resolving it, because it isn't a blanket issue which effects all wheels of the same type.

• Agree Agree x 4
  16. Balrog

Balrog Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +466 / 0 / -0
    So I was curious about this after I had a similar issue two days ago, but I'm another T300 user without flatspot issues, I've spent a little time violently locking up with the Tatuus and the German Porsche cup car and the flatspot effect was fine up to the point of puncturing the tyres.

But @ravey1981 I had a problem two days ago with damaged suspension, my wheel started to shake uncontrollably on two occasions:
    Incident 1
    Incident 2
    Is that an intended behavior of the full damage model? I was a bit surprised (I rarely damage my car to be honest and it was my first WTCR race with full damage).

Last edited: Sep 25, 2020
  17. ravey1981

ravey1981 Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +873 / 0 / -0
    If you don't get the issue when deliberately flatspotting then you're all good in that respect. Suspension damage will screw up the steering geometry which can cause pulling at the wheel, it's hard to say from the videos if that's what you were feeling.

The t300 model seems to be ok in most cases where as the Xbox version of the same wheel (tx?) has more problems. It may or may not be the case that the wheel you have attached to the base can be a factor (the F1 wheel has its own firmware I believe).

We are struggling with this tbh, we have already tried turning flatspots off for certain wheels. The issue seems to show itself seemingly at random and because we are unable to test each individual combination of hardware and firmware pinning down a definitive fix is proving difficult.

18. Maarten

Maarten Member

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0
    I have the same issue for a while now with cars without abs. (GTE, FR3, FR4)

I've changed the "FFB flatspot wave type" as suggested, that reduces the magnitude of the problem to being able to stay on track for me, and it looks like it happens less often, but it's still a problem.

Looks like the cranking up the "lateral force" in the ffb settings makes the issue worse.

I'm on Windows 10 with a Thrustmaster TS-XW

I've tried:
    • resetting the profile,
    • updating wheelbase firmware
    • reinstalling windows
    • Changed the "FFB flatspot wave type"
    Reproducing the problem:

Last edited: Oct 22, 2020
  19. Arthur Spooner

Ratings:
    +432 / 0 / -0
    Change this one:

FFB flatspot magnitude="0.0" // How strong the flatspot rumble is. Range 0.0 to 1.0, 0.0 disables effect.

20. Maarten

Maarten Member

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0
    yeah, but that disables the flatspot ffb entirely, I guess Sector3 wants feedback about this problem so the problem can be solved right?