WTCC sequential shifting

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by 2Air, Jun 11, 2015.

1. 2Air

2Air New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hi all

I have a little problem i'm facing.
    I play WTCC 2013 with seq gearshifter, only using clutch for downshifting, not up.
    But after a good few laps, i always get a broken gearbox.
    The setting for the clutch in game is set to manual, or else it would beat the purpose of clutching at all, wouldn't it?

I thought the real cars also used no clutch for upshifting and only down?

2. GooseCreature

GooseCreature Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +670 / 0 / -0
    I leave clutch on auto but you can still use it, not perfect but saves sitting by side of track watching all fly by!

3. le_poilu

le_poilu Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +278 / 0 / -0
    Maybe just an issue with WTCC2013 cars.
    I drove GTR2 (Ruf) with manual Clutch and SEQ shifter:
    Without using clutch on downshift => broken gearbox in less than 2 laps
    With gearbox only for downshift => no damage
    Upshift without clutch => no damage

4. Jona777

Jona777 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +409 / 0 / -0
    As far as i know.. Wtcc dont use a clutch at all.. Only brake and gaspedal is used and maybe a clutch to get off the line..
    Gtr2 and all gt3 are also like this..

So i drive these with autoclutch on and using my seq shifter.

I always find it funny people making it harder for themselves then they do irl.. Using the clutch when there isn't a clutch

Last edited: Jun 11, 2015
  5. le_poilu

Ratings:
    +278 / 0 / -0
    You can find on-board cam on YT for WTCC with pilots using the clutch for downshifting.

6. Jona777

Ratings:
    +409 / 0 / -0
    Okay, that's funny cause i just checked some videos and didnt see any using the clutch.. :confused:

BMW 2013:

Lada :cool: 2013:

BMW 2013 (with clutch) iTS getting confusing..

Chevrolet 2013: The race spec cruze has a gear stick jus like the road going version, although similarities end there. The race car has a 6-speed sequential shift, you still have a clutch for getting the car off the line on the start, but during the race you simply pull the gearstick back to move up the gears, and push forward to move down.
    Source: chevroletownersclub.co.uk

• Informative Informative x 1
    Last edited: Jun 11, 2015
  7. le_poilu

Ratings:
    +278 / 0 / -0
    With the wtcc 2014 citroen I'm able to keep the gearbox when I use the clutch for downshifting.
    If I don't gearbox is damaged in 1 1/2 lap.

Like gtr2 car...

8. Jona777

Ratings:
    +409 / 0 / -0
    That's because the Citroen, the other wtcc-cars and GTR2 dont use their clutch for shifting at all!
    Look at the left foot Sebastian Loeb of following video..only braking no clutching..

That's why you break it while downshifting :p put on autoclutch for these cars..

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Flavourlicious

Flavourlicious Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +148 / 0 / -0
    Thing about auto-clutch is that your starts suck. The clutch get's dropped very slowly with auto-clutch resulting in high revving, a slipping clutch and a slow launch.

10. le_poilu

Ratings:
    +278 / 0 / -0
    indeed.. I found myself making better braking with manual clutch.
    Auto-clutch is not very performant.

Now that we can set the clutch as we want (in/out dead zone and bite point).. i'm liking it :p

But it would be better if we could have "the real thing" without having to guess

11. Jona777

Ratings:
    +409 / 0 / -0
    @Flavourlicious Have to disagree though..
    I usually get of the startlines one of the fastest in races, being it gtr2/3 or wtcc.. :)
    Maybe cause i'm used to it..

@le_poilu the real thing is they use clutch for getting of the line and then dont use it at all.. Look at the vids and read the source from Chevy.. Dont know what else i can show/tell you to convince you :p
    Maybe you'll have to get used to it but autoclutch on these cars is very performant..

Edit: BMW z4 gt3 at Suzuka on board with Farfus.. As you see he doesnt use the clutch, although having on.. All gt3, Gt2 and wtcc-cars are like this.. Corvette with the sequential shifter but no clutch-use neither.. :)

Last edited: Jun 12, 2015
  12. Flavourlicious

Ratings:
    +148 / 0 / -0
    Hmm maybe it's me, but with autoclutch the car will not launch at all and just stays revving for a second before it picks up slowly. With manual clutch I can really boost of the line. I can put the revs where I want them to be (where I think it will be balancing between power and wheelspin, a lot of the times I just floor it) and drop the clutch to get the power I desire to the ground in an instance (and yes I play on get Real without any TC). In 9 out of 10 races I have to avoid the guy directly in front of me. Not because he isn't starting but just because he would be slower. :p

• Like Like x 1
  13. Flavourlicious

Ratings:
    +148 / 0 / -0
  14. Jona777

Ratings:
    +409 / 0 / -0
    With autoclutch on the getaway is really revsensitive.. Although as you can i can also put the revs where i want them to be.. Probably it's just what your used to..

I still miss a clutch (coming as soon as fanatec or thrustmaster have the pedals i want) and will use it for the older Touring cars, group 5 and alike.. But not for wtcc or any gt3 and above cars cause that doesnt fit reality.. But if you enjoy it, you just keep doing that :hearteyes:

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. Flavourlicious

Ratings:
    +148 / 0 / -0
    Yeah I feel the same about GT3 vs older stuff. I have a clutch pedal and H-shifter and use it with the older cars but I refuse to use them in sequential shifted cars. That's why I disable mechanical damage on my servers so I can drive GT3's how they are supposed to be without grinding gears after two laps. :p

• Like Like x 1
  16. le_poilu

Ratings:
    +278 / 0 / -0
    Don't get me wrong.
    You don't have to convince me about the IRL thing.
    I'm talking about the game.
    What I tried to say is that I would like to have the game being the more real as possible => understand: I tell the game the device I have :clutch/SEQ/H/etc, I tell it that I want the "real thing" and I don't have anymore to bother being on "auto-clutch" or not, choose H-pattern or not, etc.. Everything should be "car dependant" as factory IRL

AC does this very well, I'de love to see R3E doing the same

One last thing: @Flavourlicious
    Even when Auto-clutch is ON you can use your Clutch pedal. It will work.
    I use the clutch pedal for my Starts even with auto-clutch ON ;)

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  17. Jona777

Ratings:
    +409 / 0 / -0
    Would be nice indeed if you could select this option.. Get real and then "full realism" for those who have all tools.. :grinning:

Like it that you can still use your clutch for starts btw!

A friend of mine is righthardhandicap and sometimes he comes and play with autoshifting, but he is able to downshift using the lefthand.. Nice little feature!

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Flavourlicious

Ratings:
    +148 / 0 / -0
    Yeah I might try that again. I tried that earlier but it seemed that, even when I manually dropped the clutch fast, the auto-clutch overruled and dropped very slowly still.

19. Alex Bonner

Alex Bonner Active Member

Ratings:
    +34 / 0 / -0
    I understand this is a WTCC thread but I think the whole auto clutch thing needs a bit of work.

I setup a private server a few days ago and invited a few mates. We chose Group 5, get real, damage off. I was in the Capri with auto clutch off and was easily able to make a few seconds a lap just by not using clutch at all. My boost didn't drop whilst changing gears and the gear change time was next to nothing.

Don't seem right that the guys using clutch pedal should be at a disadvantage.

20. Jona777

Ratings:
    +409 / 0 / -0
    Could you test this with damage on?