Released 28/02/2017 RaceRoom has been updated

Discussion in 'News & Announcements' started by Sonat Ozturk, Feb 28, 2017.

1. Henri Puustinen

Henri Puustinen Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +100 / 0 / -0
    A tip for anyone who doesn't know. When using the FR US you can hit PageUp and then Home to get a T-Cam view.

For anyone who didn't know about these "hidden" camera settings.

• Informative Informative x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Eisprinzessin

Eisprinzessin Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +315 / 0 / -0
    With an aditionall possibility to save the different startinggrids for future use.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Creative Creative x 1
  3. wozdecky

wozdecky Active Member

Ratings:
    +41 / 0 / -0
    Display on BMW M4 DTM isn't like in real car. No multipages as in real car.
    Some numbers and letters are too small (fuel...) even on 40' screen.
    Flags???
    Wet weather?

Work, work, work

• Dislike Dislike x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  4. nate

nate Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +875 / 0 / -0
    What year are you talking about? DTM 92? :p

5. wozdecky

wozdecky Active Member

Ratings:
    +41 / 0 / -0
    DTM 2016.

6. Mr_Mints_Taboo

Mr_Mints_Taboo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +152 / 0 / -0
    40 foot - that's just showing off!;)

Yeah, different countries use different symbols, but it made me smile when I read it.:)

• Funny Funny x 3
  7. Rodent

Rodent Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +323 / 0 / -0
    Imperial is so pedestrian, metric is where it's at, it's the key to Porsches success no doubt.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  8. Skybird

Skybird Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +803 / 0 / -0
    I still feel the sting from the loss in AI, they just do not keep me up on my toes as much as before anymore. Also, no occasional mild exchange of physical communication door to door anymore. And far less overtaking in AI-vs-AI constallations. They lose their spirit right in the middle of the process.

To me the latest aI tweaks are definitely a step backwards again. Better than second last status, maybe, but definitely less good than last status. I'm not happy.

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. Mr_Mints_Taboo

Mr_Mints_Taboo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +152 / 0 / -0
    Wow - how subjective is the AI?
    What cars and level of AI are you running, Skybird?

Agree with the overtaking between AI, they do seem more reluctant than before - but that might just be the tracks I have tried (RR Bridge and Sonoma).

10. nate

nate Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +875 / 0 / -0
    I think there is a fair bit of placebo going on here, because the changes made recently were not major enough to affect the AI in the ways you are describing :p

• Like Like x 3
  11. Rodent

Rodent Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +323 / 0 / -0
    Lopez just pit maneuvered me out of nowhere today on final straight on Nords, if the AI doesn't keep you on your toes, set them higher. They can still be mean bastards, from what I've recently seen on Reddits simracing forum the AI perfectly captures how Lopez simraces too. https://www.reddit.com/r/simracing/comments/5whuuv/wtcc_champion_jose_m_lopez_catches_lateral_wind/ :D

The AI gave me a hell of a battle to that point, got myself a stop and go as I tried to get some revenge on Lopez too because road rage against the AI is a thing I tell ya and since it was the last lap I just ate the DQ and laughed. Like @CheerfullyInsane likes to point out the AI is really really good, if you have it set close to your pace.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Skybird

Ratings:
    +803 / 0 / -0
    I do not speak of speed and pace, but "fighting spirit", resistance, stubborness, defending their line.

I use adaptive AI exclusively, since months.

With the last update some weeks ago, I deleted the adaptive aI files, and had new ones established for my most-used car-track combos. For Example Nordschleife VLN and MP4GT3. With the latest changes in AI some days ago, I did not replace the adaptive AI files again.

So I basically drive with the same settings and AI files as immediately before.

13. DaniloE31

DaniloE31 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +73 / 0 / -0
    This might be the most problem...

14. CheerfullyInsane

CheerfullyInsane Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +402 / 0 / -0
    Nope, I do the same. Works fine as long as you set it up right.

And there's plenty of that as well.
    I'm sorry that you're disappointed in the new AI, but I have to admit that it's almost as if we're looking at two different sims.
    Not sure exactly what is causing the difference, but I'm getting some astounding AI moments on my end, and would hate to see the AI revert to the pre-patch version.
    Before the latest patch I had completely given up on racing the KTMs since they're fairly fickle cars, and the AI kept slamming into me and sending me on a botany trip along the track. Same with the FRJs & FR4s, couldn't even race them without getting punted off. To a certain extent the same happened with GTR3s, Audi TTs and so on, but with tin-tops you have a bit more leeway when you get hit. I'd still get hit the same number of times, it just wasn't as catastrophic. Still wasn't much fun though.

But take a look at these two vids to compare.
    (Raw footage in both cases, couldn't be bothered with anything fancy)

Pre-patch AI, Audi TTs at Indianapolis. I get hit 6-7 times in two corners. :oops:

Next a full race, post-patch FRJs at Zandvoort.
    Keep an eye on P1 and P2, and note how many times the lead changes hands.
    Also note that I have to fight like hell to keep my position (unsuccessfully, I might add. :D )

15. Skybird

Ratings:
    +803 / 0 / -0
    But adaptive AI works very well now. As I just have said above: I am using it since months. Although it was love on second sight only. Originally, 1 or 1.5 years ago, It was not so good. Some months ago I tried it again - and found it had improved.

Point is that somebody said the AI was not changed dramatically, and somebody else said if I find the ai not challenging, i should raise the difficulty - and I replied that pace and speed have nothing to do with what I am about, but the behavior of the aI is what I talk of.

Before I came to use adaptive AI, I used settings between 90 and 105 or so. Don'T remember exactly anymore.

So, again: I am not about speed and pace, I am about the style and haviouzr of the AI. It is too cooperating again, for my taste. I liked it better before, when it really tried to intimdiate me and challenged me even if it costed a bit of paint getting scratched off sometimes. The big colisons and imapocts that some complained, i have not seen, I usually attribute such comments mostly to players' own overly ambitious driving style. When players say every contact leads to them getting shot off, while every contact I have just is this: a gentle kissing of the doors, and mild stroke on the other cars bumper - and on the chase goes: then obviously players' own driving has much to do with how it all end. The AI was aggressive before, but not destructive or kamikaze. All it was about is that the AI refused to provide players with a free ride, a free pass, a victory without needing to fight for it. And that made all the difference.

The increased situational awareness now obviously results in the AI being scared to fight where before it was not, and blitzing away and into a very disadvanatgeous decision were before it would have choosen to challenge the player even if that meant to gently scratch off some paint from the cars. Before, I found it more exciting, and demanding, and challenging. Even more so since I had learned to avoid 90% of the contacts that I had immediately after the last aggressive AI was released.

Evolution means adaptation! :D

P.S. For whatever it is worth, I drive GT3, DTM2016+92, Touring Classics, M1 Pro, Audi TT Cup VLN and Formula Junior for the most.

• Disagree Disagree x 2
  16. theravenousbeast

theravenousbeast Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +155 / 0 / -0
    I haven't tried the new update so keep that in mind.

The issue wasn't so much the aggression but the fact that the AI cars would so much as touch the player car (or vice versa) and the player car would always spin in hilarious (or infuriating if you're on your 15th restart) ways.

• Agree Agree x 3
  17. Skybird

Ratings:
    +803 / 0 / -0
    "and the player car would always spin in hilarious ways. "

If only I would know what people mean when saiyng this. Always? Always...? When I mess up my own driving pretty badly - THEN I may end up in spinning out. But that the AI has shot me out when touching me - that happened in less than 1 in 10 times, if that often.

I do not understand why to me this stuff happens so rarely that some people claim happens to them ALLWAYS or ALL THE TIME. To me that are just stellar exaggerations.

With the above mentioned car classes I use, that is.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. theravenousbeast

theravenousbeast Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +155 / 0 / -0

I had a second one where I clonk into the back of a GT3 car completely straight on in 2nd gear and proceed to spin out sideways in a way that literally doesn't make any sense.

19. Skybird

Ratings:
    +803 / 0 / -0
    Looks strange indeed. I'm happy it happens to you, not to me. :D

• Funny Funny x 4
  20. CheerfullyInsane

CheerfullyInsane Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +402 / 0 / -0
    I think you're missing a vital point here.
    You're assuming that AI behaviour is the same across the board. That is, level 110 will drive the same way as level 100, only faster.
    Which isn't the case, the AI level controls several things, including behaviour.

Tell you what, upload your aiadaptation.xml file, and give me say 3 combos where you feel the AI is lacking and I'll see if I can find anything glaringly wrong in the file.
    Just please don't choose the Nordschleife. I may have to run against the AI to get some sample times, and the Nords takes too f*cking long. :D

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1