OpenVR support

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by RaceRoom, Jan 25, 2017.

1. rzsmith

rzsmith Member

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    Is this 720P@59hz in game? I don't have any 59hz selections.

2. 2ndLastJedi

2ndLastJedi Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +156 / 0 / -0
    1290x720 @59?
    Is the 59 important or can this be 60?

3. VFX Pro

VFX Pro Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +92 / 0 / -0
    Does anyone use RRE with Windows Mixed Reality? Do you some ghosting/doubling? I cannot turn off asynchronous reprojection in the Steam VR panel.. I have a beast of computer and a 1080 GTX... I can run everything settings to max at 3400x1400 no problem, but in VR, get some ghosting on fast moving objects. Thoughts?

4. FormelLMS

FormelLMS Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +229 / 0 / -0
    Yes, ingame. Choose the 720p it offers you and please make a check how many fps and headroom before with Oculus performance HUD and after this "tweak"

5. VFX Pro

VFX Pro Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +92 / 0 / -0
    For the best VR experience...should we run the app in Windowed mode or full screen?
    I must find a way to display FPS in VR, SteamVR doesn't do it... the ingame command doesn't work, what else? GeForce Experience frame counter? Fraps?

6. ndwthx1138

ndwthx1138 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +101 / 0 / -0

The fact that this works and is the single biggest performance gain I’ve seen in raceroom means something is very wrong with their implementation of VR. It’s obviously running something else at whatever your set resolution is AND having to render for 2x for VR.

Regardless due to your suggestion I can now run 1.7 super sampling, AA4, high shadows, highest settings for cars/environment, tire marks, medium mirror, low reflection (medium and high look terrible to me and consume gobs of gpu)... with 18 gt3 cars at 90fps.

This is easily a 25% jump in performance by selecting 720p res.

Thank you much - Awesome find.

It’s also worth noting I’ve yet to run into the shadows disappearing in front of you issue since altering the resolution.

NathanW

• Like Like x 1
  7. ndwthx1138

ndwthx1138 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +101 / 0 / -0
    How much super sampling are you running?

8. FormelLMS

Ratings:
    +229 / 0 / -0
    There is only one way: google Oculus tray tool, install it. In the main screen you find a HUD setting where you can enable performance monitoring.

Thats the only trick.

I highly recommend this little helper for all Oculus User. It's only a graphic frontend for the normal Oculus features with some little goodies.

9. 2ndLastJedi

Ratings:
    +156 / 0 / -0
    I use MSI Afterburner and at the bottom of the overclocking tool is a heap of graphs , if you scroll down the bottom there is a FPS graph that gives a history of the last 20 seconds or so and i can just peek out the nose gap of the Rift and check FPS when on a straight .
    Oculus tool graph is huge and covers the whole view in VR but atleast its in the HMD though but not very user friendly so i just use the graph in AB .

10. jenseits

jenseits New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    For me the change of resolution didn't make any performance boost. Still getting stable 45 fps

11. spyshagg

spyshagg Active Member

Ratings:
    +34 / 0 / -0
    chose the lowest resolution you have available. The Hz are not important. It can be 59 or 60 or 144.

With the argument "-vr" removed from R3E, enter the game and set the resolution to the lowest possible and every graphic setting to Low. After that try the -vr

The objective is to see if it can manage 90fps.

Also, this tweak also works in Assetto Corsa. It makes the menus very big, but the performance is much more stable.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. spyshagg

spyshagg Active Member

Ratings:
    +34 / 0 / -0
    Its probably rendering 3 images. The "720P" 2D image plus the 2 stereoscopic for VR. Maybe.

The devs with the analysis tools could pinpoint the bottleneck instantly, even though they are probably committed to unreal4 at this point.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. FormelLMS

Ratings:
    +229 / 0 / -0
    If ASW is enabled or automatic, you will not gain a single fps, if not 90 are stable. So more interesting what happens with your performance overhead, which you see in Oculus performance HUD. If this is before near -100% you will see after the 720p trick, that the overhead is around -75

This is not enough to get 90 FPS, but enough to enhance your graphics settings without loosing any FPS. But ensure that performance overhead doesn't come over -100 so you get stable 45 FPS. If it's more than -100 you have to decrease your settings.
    On mine are only car reflection and shadows critical. Any other option is maxed. And I don't have the best hardware here.
    With the resolution above 720p it wasn't possible.

So long story short: look at performance overhead in performance HUD of the Oculus and try it out

14. 2ndLastJedi

Ratings:
    +156 / 0 / -0
    My 6600k is slowing my 1080ti considerably in R3E, even with pretty moderate settings and just - vr (so 1.5 SS) I can't manage 90 GPS around Nords VLN. This doesn't happen in AC or pC2 or anything else for that matter.
    I can get 90 with 1.5, MSAA High and High settings in pC2 even in night storms everywhere except LongBeach.

15. rzsmith

rzsmith Member

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    Yes; I have a i5-3570k system and get bad stutters on low settings. I have a Ryzen 5 1600 with same video card and can run medium settings and 2.0 SS smooth. I think R3E is highly CPU dependent.

16. Cyril Cherry

Cyril Cherry New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for your answer. I'have trying but same result :(

17. spyshagg

spyshagg Active Member

Ratings:
    +34 / 0 / -0
    Just finished testing some more and pinpointed that the VR bottleneck is 100% on CPU side, probably the draw calls capacity.
    The fact the GPU never reached more than ~40% usage is now explained by this cpu bottleneck.

The game also does not use more than 2 cpu threads (2 cores).

So in order to improve your performance, you have to keep the cpu drawcalls very low (track detail = low Car details = low mirror details = low Shadows = low). Every other graphical feature that does not increase this cpu overhead is fine (shaders MSAA etc).
    CPU clock speed helps greatly, so Intel CPU's @ >4.8Ghz will help immensely in this poorly optimized engine.

The winning combo for R3E VR will be highly clocked i5's i7's + Nvidia gpus (much lower cpu driver overhead)

AMD drivers bad DX9/11overhead performance pays a pretty penalty in this game.

• Informative Informative x 2
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2018
  18. DaveS78

DaveS78 New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Can anyone with a setup similar to mine post their in-game settings please? My PC is a 7700K @ 4.2 with a 1080ti and 16GBs RAM. I feel like this game ran better when I first went to VR but now it stutters constantly even when turning most settings to medium (like rF2). I followed the post above about dropping the in-game resolution to lower than what my monitor is (it's 1440p) so I just set the resolution to 1280x720 @ 144hz but I've yet to see if that helps any.

19. m.bohlken

m.bohlken Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +988 / 0 / -0
    With which startup-setting do you lauch raceroom?
    In addition, try installing the latest nvidia-driver and maybe sign into steam vr beta.
    If you are having a rift, check if the latest oculus software is installed.

20. DaveS78

DaveS78 New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Currently the recommended -vr 1.5

Everything else is updated to the latest and I am using the Steam VR beta. I did build a dedicated sim rig with it's own monitor last week so there are two monitors connected to my PC. I use Win + P to switch between them so only one is on while using the rig. I am getting a notification from Steam VR every time it starts that I have display mirroring on, which I don't. If that is the culprit then I have no idea what to do.