The Project CARS thread

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by ::SKRO::, May 7, 2015.

1. RomKnight

RomKnight Active Member

Ratings:
    +34 / 0 / -0
    For starters. But I think eventually rf2 and later on others might quickly follow.
    Remember pc1? Not for consoles and blah blah and then ac went for it too?
    RF 2 updated to dx11 and vr?
    Even the likes of Forza were revamped.
    Every time someone pushes the envelope others follow so it'll be inevitable.
    But yes, pc2 will lead. Let's wait for September and see if I'm wrong. I don't think so.
    Tbh only the "hardcore" hypocrites that are hardcore for what they want (and probably just race in the dry clear weather) will remain blind.
    Some still think that hard to drive is the real thing... Nothing one can do about that though.
    But hey, to each his own. I like to keep my eyes open :)
    BTW, have a look here (probably posted already I'm not reading backward and on mobile)
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCUQCaoSUjidzkXdJG1PMfZw
    Seasons, Localized weather, persistent between sessions and all that visuals displayed and felt via ffb. Oh and no scripting, everything is dynamically integrated. No lookup tables or anything like that. Can't ask for more really.
    And then all that cross platform :)
    Got to admire that even more when it works. And it does ;)
    I do understand reluctancy due to pc1 but I have to say, people are so wrong keeping eyes shut and stick to the past instead of looking forward...

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. JyriK

JyriK Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +59 / 0 / -0
    People have the right to be critical of SMS, and it has nothing to do "being blind" or "being hardcore" or "living in the past", or any other fanboy nonsense. It is the track record of the company that matters -- and it is so in every other form of business.

3. Fanapryde

Fanapryde Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +410 / 0 / -0
    I don't care about the "track record" of SMS at all. For me it is the product they deliver...
    That seems to be a point where some people struggle.

• Love it! Love it! x 1
  4. JyriK

JyriK Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +59 / 0 / -0
    It is exactly about the products they have delivered.

• Funny Funny x 1
  5. Fanapryde

Ratings:
    +410 / 0 / -0
    It is still the Project Cars thread, not about earlier titles.
    Some people may feel pCars 1 was bad (I wrote "some" because it is a very small minority) but I still think criticism on pCars 2 is out of place, since it has not been released yet.
    From what I see and hear, there will not be a lot to complain about.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  6. mmaruda

mmaruda Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +95 / 0 / -0
    These are my thoughts exactly, but I did buy Forza Horizon 3 and it's a different story. Not that the physics is any different. The reason Forza Apex drives like shit, is because you cannot upgrade and tune your cars properly. Obviously I am talking about playing this chilled on a couch with a controller, but you can observe closely what the car is doing with regards to what you are pressing and I would say the Forza physics, while not simulation, they are pretty descent. Definitely the best non-sim driving out there.

Now that said, Forza 7 might be kind of a different story. I think Assetto and Cars actually made enough of an impact on the console market, that flagship console racing games are sort of adapting. I recently saw an impressions video GT Sport on ISRTV, and John Sabol said while the build on E3 promo felt kinda bad, the other build he tested the next day felt pretty close to Assetto on console. I think they are changing the focus slightly to make console racing proper racing with leagues, academies and so on. I believe this has a lot to do with how CARS2 team are pushing their e-sport agenda. So if anything, I think the game will have a significant influence on the market.

But anyway, as much as I am of the opinion that the level of criticism SMS gets just because CARS1 was not up to snuff isn't necessarily based on anything other then they did not like the previous game, I am actually quite glad that there is enough people with a critical approach, since this will and most probably does put pressure on the devs to make a better game.

7. RomKnight

RomKnight Active Member

Ratings:
    +34 / 0 / -0
    Now this was surprising (well, not for me :D )

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Quicksilver

Quicksilver New Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Since there seem to be a couple of people with access to the beta here, i would like to know something.

It was said that you could setup custom championships online, which you would be then able to drive solo. Is that true? Though i don't understand the reason behind that it would equal singleplayer custom championships.

Furthermore (given that the first assumption is valid) i would like to know if it is possible to start this championship on a dedicated server, for example in your household (beefy htpc) and connect to that.

This could be especially interesing for VR, since it could take away some load from the cpu if the server handles the AI.

regards
    Quicksilver

Last edited: Jun 18, 2017
  9. JyriK

JyriK Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +59 / 0 / -0
    I think majority of simracers were disappointed with PC. It's not the level of grip, but facts like 0 camber being the fastest setting, intermediates being totally useless etc., etc. that were quite off-putting.

10. RomKnight

RomKnight Active Member

Ratings:
    +34 / 0 / -0
    @Quicksilver
    AI will always be calculated on the user side. You may be able to use AI to fill the remaining spots if you want though but DS's are basically just packet broadcasters.

About pC2 online championships, see here. But it's for MP in leagues and eventually esports, ofc.

11. mmaruda

Ratings:
    +95 / 0 / -0
    I would say that those things were the least off-putting. The FFB, a certain way the cars behaved on the track reminiscent of Shift 2 Unleashed and the crazy AI (rectified to some extent now) were the biggest issues. It's really a small percentage of the overall group dissatisfied with the game who actually fiddle with the setups. Also setup exploits is something that is present in every sim. Assetto Corsa allowed you to run crazy fast laps on deflated tires at some point, in R3E a zero-wing option was viable at some point, widely acknowledged ultimate classics like GTR2 are also full of such exploits.

Personally I believe CARS1 was rushed out the door. It was supposed to come out November and I remember testing the game in March when it was already scheduled for a final release date in May, and it felt like a very early build in some cars. I think with CARS 2 they are taking their time a little more. There is still 3 months to release and what we are seeing so far does resemble a very advanced product in terms of development.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Quicksilver

Quicksilver New Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for the insight!

In this case i will just hope for a well performing engine, especially with larger grids. Thats where AC and R3E both struggle for me in VR.

regagds
    Quicksilver

13. RomKnight

RomKnight Active Member

Ratings:
    +34 / 0 / -0
    Then you'll be glad to see video below. In this build there was a *major* update in performance, including in VR ;)

• Like Like x 1
  14. Fanapryde

Ratings:
    +410 / 0 / -0
    It also clearly shows another nice thing in pCars: the great reflections on the windscreen, which imo is a lot better than having smudgy windows on an otherwise perfectly clean car. I hate that.
    I understand dirt build up while driving, but not those (always) dirty windscreens and mirrors in other sims.
    Maybe that is because I just can't stand dirty windows on my own car either... :D
    BTW, that Beamer was (still is) so nice to drive in pCars1...

15. Eisprinzessin

Eisprinzessin Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +315 / 0 / -0
    The dirt on the windscreen is inho absolutely necessary to make a proper simulation. Step by step the view gets more worse...

One of the many weak points of R3E.

16. mmaruda

Ratings:
    +95 / 0 / -0
    I wouldn't say necessary to make a proper simulation, but the amount of crap that hits your windshield IRL when driving fast is quite significant, so kudos if they have that.

17. Fanapryde

Ratings:
    +410 / 0 / -0
    I was not saying the dirt is not necessary, it just makes no sense starting in a perfectly clean car with dirty windshield.
    No race car IRL will start like that.
    Windscreens are cleaned during pitstops too.
    As part of the immersion, cars in pCars get dirty too, the longer the race and the worse the weather, the dirtier they get.
    Which is great imo.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Eisprinzessin

Ratings:
    +315 / 0 / -0
    Absolutely great.

I hope of more realism in PCars 2. Would be great to take a ride over LeMans with R3E Physics and PCars graphics.

19. RomKnight

RomKnight Active Member

Ratings:
    +34 / 0 / -0
    Physics being a real thing they should be equal on any sim so it's how they translate to FFB that one prefers hence one should compare to reality instead of other games.
    This is amplified with the fact that most of just just have expectations (from background, maybe a RL trackday or even racing some local series) on how a certain car should behave and the fact we can't possibly recreate rubber properly in our little PC's (not even manufacturers know everything) and track conditions changing quickly on a track.

So, if you allow me @Eisprinzessin let me FTFY :)

That being said, I think you'll be pleased no matter what :)

20. Eisprinzessin

Ratings:
    +315 / 0 / -0
    I dont understand what you me. Shitty rusty english in my case.