The Project CARS thread

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by ::SKRO::, May 7, 2015.

1. Christian G

Christian G Topological Agitator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +2,411 / 0 / -0
    Well, some might call it getting hung up, others might call it learning from past experiences. ;)

Like I said I wish the team behind PC2 (which consists of many more and more reasonable people than IB) all success in achieving their goals and won't pass judgement until I got my hands on the final good myself.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Blanes

Blanes Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +189 / 0 / -0
    I get your point Christian but the perpetual whinging about what pCars was & wasn't and attacks on I.B. personally grew excessively tiresome long ago for mine and am sick of it. Came here only to offer my honest 1st hand impressions which some like to hear, that's all.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Anthony Monteil

Anthony Monteil KW Studios Developer

Ratings:
    +1,199 / 0 / -0
    That's the good thing about simulations development in general.
    Even if we're supposed to replicate the same cars/trains/planes/boats/etc. , and in the end the vehicles should all sound similar between titles, each studio uses its own recipe, which provides to each game its own personality.
    And it's pretty much the same story in all the others dev areas, graphics, physics or gameplay.

WIth the standardization of tools like Fmod, you would think that sounds would tend to get on the same level of realism in every games (after all, there's only one reality isn't it, which is also very arguable as each human hear something different :p) , but there are so many parameters and methods involved, that we'll always find some differences.

To be honest, I love this part of the subject, as this is where the human part is the most important, the way we "want" this particular car to sound and the interpretation of its own sound we will bring to the game ("should we make it like the Le Mans 2002 version or more like the early 2003", stuff like that...). These choices and decisions are undoubtly some of the most interesting parts of the job.

Add to it that the same model of a race car can sound very differently, depending on a lot of factors :
    - installed exhaust (many cars use different exhausts depending on the track layout, BMW M3 E30 GrA is a good exemple but Porsche, Lancia, Alfa Romeo etc.. all applied this method in various series while respecting the technical rules). Exhaust is obviously one of the most important element about car sounds.
    - gearbox ratios, engine, turbos, and others drivetrain elements settings, they will massively influence the rev range and therefore the pitch of the exhaust note. I had an interesting experience last year with a Porsche 993 GT2 Evo, turning up the turbo pressure will make the car sound completely different. The car started with a few laps in a safe engine config, it was almost quiet, bassy and nice but not loud at all and barely backfiring. Then the guys started to crank up the turbo and back on track, we could hear the medium frequency range becoming more prominent, the car was now clearly audible in distance. Finally, they set it up in "qual" mode, which basically opens up the turbo to insane levels, there it's not the same car anymore, it's spitting, banging and growling like the world is ending and oh my god, that speed in the straights, 700 HP of sound happiness, turbo is sucking, blowing, yes it's LOUD!
    - engine/exhaust temperature : the most spectacular exemple is probably the Formula 1 engines from mid 90's to mid 2000's. They get out of the pits with relatively cold engines and tires, first laps sound already amazing and loud, but then as the speed on track increases, you start to hear a difference in the exhaust resonance, it's getting more and more agressive and loud, until it's almost unbearable without ear plugs :D. Group C prototypes and Cosworth V8 engines in general tend to behave the same, after 15/20 minutes on track, they litterally scream ❤
    - driver and the driving : this is especially observable in endurance racing when pilots are swapping.

I'd just say that there is no limit to how deep each developer can go into the details with sounds, and therefore no limits to the differences we will hear between titles.
    That is my hope anyway, as nothing would be more boring than the exact same sounds in every racing games ;)

• Like x 10
    • Love it! x 2
    • Wonderful x 2
    • Agree x 1
    • Winner x 1
    • Informative x 1
    Last edited: May 18, 2017
  4. Fanapryde

Fanapryde Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +410 / 0 / -0
    And there is the fact that the same sound of the same sim may even sound different between other systems...

5. neil

neil Member

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0
    Yes. For me what many sims struggle with is the acoustics in cockpit. From what I have heard so far pcars2 seems very realistic in this respect. They are also using input from the factory drivers in regards to the sound so hopefully that will result in more realism.

• Like Like x 1
  6. knut m helgeland

knut m helgeland Active Member

Ratings:
    +44 / 0 / -0
    In the spirit of the Monaco Grand Prix, i tried to find the track in the racing games/sims i use, and ended up doing some laps with the Formula C at the "Azure" track in Project Cars...

The track is pretty nice, and doing the laps in-between FP1 and FP2, and the track feel pretty accurate (not that i have ever driven around monaco, or a "formula" car at all, although i do have some karting experience and have visited the Monaco Grand Prix in 2008 [​IMG] ).

Having not driven the formula c car before, its 300 horses and 6-700kg felt pretty fast. Also, heating the tyers for a lap is a must to get some grip around the slowest corners. Included a moment into turn 1 and there is some guardrail brushing during those 2 laps [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  7. gio_vtec

gio_vtec Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +117 / 0 / -0
    Le Mans and then LMP1 HY Porsche vs Toyota and the GTLMs

• Like Like x 3
  8. Cheeseman

Cheeseman Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +265 / 0 / -0
    I had been part of WMD since 2011 where my experience with SMS had been positive. No issues with how they carried it out as they do treat you pretty much like their employee and I get to see how a game being made from inception till completion along with all the nasty roadblocks along the way.These experience do give me a new found appreciations towards game development as I had seen how difficult is it to develop one.

Those who said WMD was awful are likely to be the ones who are being rude and unreasonable to other members or staff which is the ticket to get booted off WMD. If you treat everyone with respect, I never seen any issues with SMS in WMD as SMS tend to give numerous warnings for those misbehaving members. Some mods there tend to be a bit strict which I do agree but they are doing their jobs.

Personally, I always enjoyed pcars and R3E. There are quite a few cars that handle quite similarly to each other in both games which I think both developers are doing something right in consultations with real drivers. A good simulation model only exists if you have a good model along with a good calibration.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    Last edited: Jun 8, 2017
  9. Fanapryde

Ratings:
    +410 / 0 / -0
    Awesome !!!

• Like Like x 2
  10. Dale Junior

Dale Junior Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +983 / 0 / -0
    Project CARS 2 is such a graphics whore!!! Nice work Slightly Mad Studios! Ian Bell should have stay in team of SimBin!

Last edited: Jun 8, 2017
  11. Squanchy

Squanchy Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +66 / 0 / -0
    It's usually hard to tell the real graphics from promotional videos but the graphics are looking stellar in gameplay videos too.
    I really hope they've overhauled the FFB, but I'm hearing good things about that too.

Anybody know the ETA? I've read speculations that it has moved north of "Septemberish".

12. Gopher04

Gopher04 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +237 / 0 / -0
    My crystal ball says Sept 22nd..

• Like Like x 1
  13. sbtm

sbtm Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +591 / 0 / -0
    very tight date. i could imagine one or two delays.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Fanapryde

Ratings:
    +410 / 0 / -0
    Could very well be...
    If you check pre-order, the sites mostly tell you it will be in stock by december (2017) :D

15. Gopher04

Gopher04 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +237 / 0 / -0
    Oh my god you guys are slow..
    This has been confirmed elsewhere as well. Not saying this can't change, we all know it can..

16. Dale Junior

Dale Junior Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +983 / 0 / -0
    nice new things ...

1966 Chevy Camaro (Classic SCCA Trans-Am Series racing) :cool:
    1.png

IndyCar + Texas Motor Speedway + Oval racing at night :cool:
    2.png

... not bad, not bad ...

• Like Like x 1
  17. Mr_Mints_Taboo

Mr_Mints_Taboo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +152 / 0 / -0
    I really don't want another racing game.
    I really don't want to buy this one.

I guess Mick Jagger was right : you can't always get want you want.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Squanchy

Squanchy Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +66 / 0 / -0
    We only need one PERFECT racing game. So far we only have games where each one has some big shortcomings.

19. Skybird

Skybird Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +803 / 0 / -0
    PC2? I just got PC one in Steam sale last days, for 8 coins. :D

When it was released on PC long time ago, I found it terrible, the physics, FFB, AI - everything sucked, especially the AI was a disaster.

Last year I checked again on PS4 and found them to have improved the AI, also the physics a bit, as far as I could trust memory.

Two days ago I could not resist the PC deal, 8 coins for this much content - c'mon, a no-brainer if it was at least like what I saw on PS4.

For that price, it is an unbeatable package.

The visuals obviously are stunning, and I can run 24 cars smoothly even at night, in storm and fog, with raindrops on. Wowh. The ligt effects, weather effects and the style in which the environment is beign done: I'm am heavily, mightily impressed. And with smooth frames - my rig is 6 or 7 years old...!

Physics are dubious, to put it mildy. :D. But it reminded me - in a positive meaning - of the joy I had 18, 19 years ago with very old driving games on PS1: Need for Speed 3 and 4, which back in those days I loved a very lot. One can have very good fun with PC, I find, but do not expect, do not think of this as realistic physics - they are not this, not even close. Take it for what it is, something that gets left behind by a mile or two by Raceroom and Assetto Corsa, very clearly, but taken for itself: it is fun. One gets well entertained. Not necessarily realistically entertaioned.

AI also is not en par with Raceroom and Assetto Corsa, both leave PC in the dust, and they must not even go to second gear for that. But it reminds again a lot of NFS3+4, and so I am pragmatic and take it for what it is: and that is a change for fun . At least AI has learned a whole lot of behaviour since first release.Back then, it was aweful, a disgrace.

Sounds are - well, so-la-la. At least on the cars I so far tried out. But Raceroom can only giggle when listening to Project Cars. :)

Track content is a close duel with Raceroom, I'd say. Many tracks, many good ones. But elevations often seem to be exaggerated. Adds to the pucker factor. ;)

Car modelling, the exterior is close call with Assetto corsa, but the interior cannot really keep up with AC. PC's interiors get close, but AC has that certain ammount of quality looks and attention to detail more.

The one thing I do not like, is the FFB. The already simplified aracade physics and then this rude, coarse FFB effect on or effect off... I tried to tune it in the options, but to no satisfying result. Here is where Assetto Corsa trumps the matter and rams PC deeply into the ground without even sharpening it first. I will try again since tomnorrow I get a new wheel (improving from G27 to CSL Elite PC+PS4)

Great looks, much content, easy fun without the claim to be a realistic simulation of anything - just good looks, good fun. For 8 coins - unbeatable!

But not in the same league like Raceroom and Assetto Corsa, realism-wise. If one knows what one gets here, and wants that and nothing else, one cannot go wrong. Just do not expect a hyper-realistic simulation.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    Last edited: Jun 11, 2017
  20. sbtm

sbtm Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +591 / 0 / -0
    ... pcars 2 video sharing policy recently got an update. They relaxed it a bit and approved videos can be shared by the community.

I have one in the queue so maybe expect some teaser soon :) fingers crossed they approve it.

• Like Like x 1