RD raceclub not doing well

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Skybird, Oct 3, 2015.

1. Skybird

Skybird Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +803 / 0 / -0
    Leads to associating it with SimBin which in the past had publicly announced - at least was reported in the media - to work on GTR3. Maybe there even is a copyright conflict possible (over the title), I don't know.

You know what they say about dead people. So let SimBin rest in peace. Its the past, and the past never comes back.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. James Cook

James Cook Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,013 / 0 / -0
    Simbin aside, associations with GTR2 can only be a good thing.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. James Nance

James Nance Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +301 / 0 / -0
    Heck I even play the music from GTR2 in the menu when I play R3E, a little nostalgia to it.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. alesi27

alesi27 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +233 / 0 / -0
    Excellent idea.Instead of radio silence,why not add GTR2 and RACE themes in the menu for a little nostalgia trip?In fact,as I type these lines,my mind goes to that electronic beat of RACE....

• Like Like x 3
  5. shardshunt

shardshunt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +490 / 0 / -0
    i play gt3 music. feeder, snow patrol ect... that game used to have great music.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. Christian G

Christian G Topological Agitator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +2,411 / 0 / -0
    Comparison to GTR or Race is a little off I think. Always bugs me when people say "you had this and that in Race, just put that into R3E" cause it's obviously not that easy.
    When did you last play Race, Emerson? Cause I think there is a big positive difference in graphics and physics, even without DX12. (DX12, really? How many titles are there using it?) It's not like DX directly influences visual quality, like textures f.e., and going back I find the physics of Race worse than those of modern titles.

I'm not convinced that those made Race a success. Maybe it was the plain lack of competition...And maybe in that light you are right, one has to apeal to a certain "hardcore" aspect, be it visuals (PC) or physics (AC). But Race or GTR did neither, those were just as "broad" in their layout, but had those features admittedly.
    Again, not arguing those are needed in order to make it a worthwhile simulation.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. theravenousbeast

theravenousbeast Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +155 / 0 / -0
    That's bound to alienate a fair number of users who've already spent money through the current business model.

I will agree, though, that some kind of re-launch could help. Too many players ignore it because they were disappointed the first time around and have simply moved on.

8. Ty Duff

Ty Duff Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +54 / 0 / -0
    [​IMG]

• Agree Agree x 3
  9. Emerson Meyer

Emerson Meyer Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +61 / 0 / -0
    Really funny, I liked. But would you mind to elaborate your answer?

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  10. theravenousbeast

theravenousbeast Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +155 / 0 / -0
    Of all the things to pick out, you picked the setup menu? The RACE games had the cleanest, most user-friendly UI, a massive improvement from GTL and GTR2s clunky confusing mess. Why fix what's not broken?

11. Emerson Meyer

Emerson Meyer Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +61 / 0 / -0
    This picture is showing the features... tyre compound, fuel... nothing to do with UI itself.

12. shardshunt

Ratings:
    +490 / 0 / -0
    I believe most people do not care about little set up options like rev limit and, diff pump and ducting which honestly dont make much difference to the car.
    many of the option in race 07 just aren't available in real race cars rev limit for example is usually locked to a specific setting that cannot be changed up or down. even the gear ratios we get in r3e are not often changeable as every one runs the same diff and trans which will just allow basic adjustments. unless these things are recreated realistically or even better toggle-able (so we can specify every option and make our own rules). more setting does not equal better. their are better uses of the devs time at the moment.

Id like to argue that it is in fact bugs that are driving people away from r3e. people log on and sometimes get random 503's, game crashes in the middle of a race, ffb locks to a side, press a button in the ui and nothing happens. I think these may be the reasons people get drawn away from the game and rushing to add features will only bring about more bugs.

on a side not perhaps @Christian Göpfert can confirm if section 7.2.3.3 of the audi tt cup rules are applied
    Upon request of the participant, the technical staff of the appointed general contractor will proceed exclusively to the following individual modifications on the vehicle:
    - Seat position and pedal adjustment
    - Steering wheel position
    - Safety belt position
    - Adjustment of the front and rear anti-roll bars.
    - Adjustment of the TCS (Traction Control System)
    - Adjustment of the differential mapping in three defined modes
    All other parameters will always be standard settings made to all vehicles by the appointed general contractor and not adjusted individually.
    ref: DMSB Standard Regulations for Audi Sport TT Cup 2015

Last edited: Oct 12, 2015
  13. heppsan

heppsan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,268 / 0 / -0
    Not that I think those things holding people from the game.
    But fuel, tyre compound and pressure would be really nice to get!

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. shardshunt

Ratings:
    +490 / 0 / -0
    I completely agree, i would like these things. I just don't think this is why r3e has such small numbers.

• Agree Agree x 3
  15. GooseCreature

GooseCreature Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +670 / 0 / -0
    So Simbin released far too early but a group of like minded people took on the trainwreck and in one year we have what we have, now if S3 released today with what they have would they have more users or less? Sim users are totally different breed to most other gamers, it's all about the immersion, how the cars handle, accuracy to detail............. so we generally dip our toes into most if not all offerings in the genre (how many of us have or have tried all race sims?), we are all looking for that one sim that serves all our needs but there isn't one, they are all flawed (some more than others) so personally I've hovered most here as I feel they have a strong sim core, good community with access to Dev's and an exciting future!
    Subjectivity comes into this aswell, what one person thinks is the best thing since sliced bread another says it feels like a boat, lots of different people with different hardware, always going to be an uphill struggle. Young sim racers make up a huge sector of the gaming community and can be a fickle lot, guided by peer pressure, social media, game site reviews but ask them to put in some hours to learn nuances of a track or to play with setups they generally move along to something they can get in and drive from the off, not to mention the more shiney cars the better aspect, exactly the opposite of what most who hang around here are after. So the question is do you cater for the young, flighty, arcade style gamer and make some quick bucks or do you err toward the enthusiasts, with money in their pockets, the hardware to appreciate the handling and a modicum of patience for things to be right?
    I think RRE is aimed at the enthusiast so in theory as time goes by numbers will increase!
    I quite often warm up with a dabble in the comps (have at least a chance now it's a tombola) and after first run in one I was 8452nd and I wasn't last, so numbers ARE rising, someone's getting something right!
    Instead of complaining about what's gone let's all relish what is to come!

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  16. oppolo

oppolo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +47 / 0 / -0
    yes and not, thrue that most people don't care at all, false that ducting don't make differences in the cars, try gtr2 with duct 1 or 5, there will be a huge difference in the braking behaviour, so duct has to have the right value relate to the air temperature. gtr2 is a complete sim for fia 2003 2004 champ, this one still not

17. Christian G

Christian G Topological Agitator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +2,411 / 0 / -0
    True, but

18. Ty Duff

Ty Duff Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +54 / 0 / -0
    Well, I am running a championship myself at the moment in one of these, strangely enough. The reason I am running it is content, because I want to drive the STCC tracks which I think are great fun.

However, if this content was in R3E I would play it on R3E as it is hugely better in terms of actually driving the car, the look and the sounds. I don't think anyone could honestly run these games back to back and say RACE was better. As Shardshunt just said, "i would like these things. I just don't think this is why r3e has such small numbers."

Perhaps we are both enjoying RACE at the moment, for different reasons - and we would probably both like those reasons in R3E at some stage.

I believe that is is a good product and that the small team who develop it want to give us everything we want and more. As long as it is heading in the right direction I will be along for the ride. There are a few people who take any tangent they can to whine about the same couple of things whenever they can - and I can't see what they get out of it or why they spend their time on this forum if they don't like it so much.

Try a bit of glass half full on R3E - if you can't find anything to like blasting a GT3 car around Bathurst or the 92 Mustang at Zolder you are very hard to please.

• Agree Agree x 3
  19. Kjell Eilertsen

Kjell Eilertsen Active Member

Ratings:
    +44 / 0 / -0
    I don't have one answer for this, but two;
    1. Pointing at Steam player numbers shows ALL types of players, since R3E is a online only game the steamcharts statistics is showing both people playing online mp and those playing a "singleplayer experience" be it competitions, practicing, championships or whatever. So looking at the steamcharts is a very good way to tell how successful R3E is in terms of user adoptability rate, and I'm sad to say that it's suffering badly in numbers. I don't have a single explanation to why, I find R3E to be the best overall package of all sims on the market today (beaten on single features by others, but the total package is what counts for me).
    2. Some people tie success of a racing sim to mp user numbers because that's all we are looking for. I don't care if 2 million people are playing R3E single player every day, if I can't find an online game with proper grid size anywhere then the game is a failure as far as I am concerned, because singleplayer means literally nothing to me without multiplayer.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. Vojvoda

Vojvoda Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +145 / 0 / -0
    Maybe not differential pump, but brake duct (or radiator) it's a simple tape, fuel and tire camber/press is a basic setup (street legal car even).

[​IMG]

I miss for a (1) complex adjustment of car setup with these parameters (IMO essential), (2) a method for managing sessions/punishments in dedicated servers and a (3) full log after race.
    With those 3 points, R3E will be "reference" in communities championships.