RD raceclub not doing well

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Skybird, Oct 3, 2015.

1. Christian G

Christian G Topological Agitator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +2,411 / 0 / -0
    Yes, we will definitely be able to adjust the safety belt position. :D

I think I'm safe in saying that the devs are trying to stay as close to reality as possible.

1. I'm aware of what the steam charts represent so I didn't put those to question. The question was why tie it to mp-numbers, not user numbers.
    2. And the point of this statement? So you're saying that the happiness of those "some people" (the mp ones) would outweigh the income generated from 2 million single player users who don't care about mp in terms of a games success? Amazing. Maybe you should move to Bhutan. :)

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  2. oppolo

oppolo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +47 / 0 / -0
    I don't use any mods, speaking about gtr2 and race07 we have to focused on what they want to simulate, fiaGT 2003 2004 for gtr2 and wtcc 2006 2007 etc for race07,if you look into the the setup of a wtcc car, there isn't any rpm limiter to adjust

3. Christian G

Ratings:
    +2,411 / 0 / -0
    I'd say it's not so much a matter of whether those are possible but whether those are allowed in a racing series. You can do all kinds of stuff to a car that isn't permitted in many series nowadays. Just look at all the GT series, no individual gear ratios, differential settings etc.
    As long as those options you ask for are there and used irl, fine with me, let's have 'em.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. Kjell Eilertsen

Kjell Eilertsen Active Member

Ratings:
    +44 / 0 / -0
    The point of my statement was to explain that to some of us, a successful game is measured in multiplayer only. Also I'm not saying one thing should outweigh the other for S3S, but to me they do, I don't care how many people are happy about the single player experience, because it's of no interest to me, it is frankly a waste of development time and resources to me.
    Now I don't mind that singleplayer is there, and I understand that it's important for others (including many of those who enjoy multiplayer), I'm just trying to make you understand that to some of us multiplayer is where we measure success, and without it the product is worthless to us.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Skybird

Skybird Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +803 / 0 / -0
    Just to reiterate that ONCE AGAIN, since there still seems to be confusion about it. The thing with Steam Charts statistics for Raceroom is that in case of Raceroom these numbers do not - like for other games that allow offline mode playing for SP, meaning the player base is actually bigger than what Steam charts shows - show just multiplayers (which obviously mjst be online for playing multiplayer), but seem to show the total number of players doing MP races and single player, all added together in one value here. SPs must be online, too in Raceroom - and that is what Steam is tracking in that chart, AFAIK.

Obviously, other titles have even more players than what the statistic show - the many offline and SP players. In Raceroom'S case, the number from Steam lists both SP and MP. So, the huge difference in player bases cannot be denied, it is all too obvious.

The only question remaining is whether the absolute number of players for Raceroom is sufficient to sustain the studio and company, or not. This can only be evaluated if knopwi8ng the internal financial data of the company, which we do not know and will not be given by them.

Its not so hard to understand what the implicit concern of all this is. If only one wants.

I would like to know however what exactly the numbers by Steam indicate: do they count players per day, or is it an average mean value of players active at any given point of time, calculated for a certain period of timer? Would be interesting to know, to ease my curiosity.

• Agree Agree x 1
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2015
  6. Skybird

Ratings:
    +803 / 0 / -0
    Its getting a circular discussion in here. Maybe its time to let this thread drop down the list and move on!? ;) For the sake of forum peace. :) Having launched this thread, I now express my recommendation to let this happen and bringing it to an end.

7. Christian G

Ratings:
    +2,411 / 0 / -0
    I get that and you're alright in saying that, it's your personal preference and that's a-okay. But what most people have been talking about is the games success or even if it will be able to survive with that low mp numbers and I say those are not the right means of measurement for such a purpose cause there are many players who feel vice versa to you in terms of mp vs sp.

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. Kjell Eilertsen

Ratings:
    +44 / 0 / -0
    Agreed, though this started as a thread about RDs club racing not doing so well so it was multiplayer related from the get go.
    That having been said I kind of agree with @Skybird that it's time to let this topic/thread rest for now.

9. kendoslow

kendoslow Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +49 / 0 / -0
    This link will give you an hour by hour account of the numbers. Use your mouse on the chart to generate them.

http://steamcharts.com/cmp/244210,211500,234630,286570#7d

10. Skybird

Ratings:
    +803 / 0 / -0
    I could swear that is the same thing we are already talking about. ;) :D

11. kendoslow

Ratings:
    +49 / 0 / -0
    "I would like to know however what exactly the numbers by Steam indicate: do they count players per day, or is it an average mean value of players active at any given point of time, calculated for a certain period of timer? Would be interesting to know, to ease my curiosity."
    Sorry, I thought by the implication in your last paragraph you hadn't seen these charts.

12. Brandon Wright

Brandon Wright Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +312 / 0 / -0
    I agree. I can't speak for others, but this was never the focus of my comments. One club on RD closing shouldn't be of too much concern if everything else is roses and sunshine. For me it's a combination of low Steam numbers, low forum participation, very low number of any of my sim racing friends adopting it, very low numbers on public servers, and low participation at RD club, that point to a possibility that the future may be rough for this sim and its devs. It's not just one thing, or one club, or MP in general. It's a whole stack of things that all support our concerns.

Many people seemed to think that one claim of one club closing caused us to jump to the conclusion that the sky is falling and the sim is doomed. I don't think that was the case, instead we're trying to say that the closing of the RD club was one more worrying situation that added to the long list of worrying situations, and this has caused us to worry more. This doesn't mean we're claiming that low MP numbers means the sim is doomed. This means that we see things like weird feeling cars, confusing FFB menus, confusing pricing models, lack of some key features, the previous history of the sim and its devs, to be creating a negative opinion of the sim which keeps people away from it, and low MP numbers combined with the closing of the RD club is just one more metric that supports our pre-existing concerns. Low MP numbers is not the original source of concern, at least not for me anyway.

Sure, there are more people playing SP than MP, but are there enough of them to support S3S going forward? This is what concerns me, and this forum is the place to express such concerns. That doesn't mean I'm criticizing or complaining or bashing the devs, it means I'm concerned that my favorite sim and my favorite devs may be facing an uphill battle due to a whole host of situations, some of which are out of their control or due to opinions formed in the past. I'll continue to support them, to give them my money, and due my best to spread the good word of R3E, I'm just afraid it's going to fall on mostly deaf ears. S3S are busting their butts, have made massive improvements in a short time, and seem to be headed in a great direction, but more than anything need to figure out how to get more people to enjoy the fruits of their labor. I don't know what the solution is, but I hope S3S does and that Raceroom will allow them the flexibility to implement it.

• Like Like x 2
  13. kendoslow

Ratings:
    +49 / 0 / -0
    There is a RD R3E club race tonight WTCC2014 at Paul Ricard (solution 3C, WTCC layout). The club has not closed but the number of days are being reduced to try and enlarge the grids. Too many competing games at the moment. So it makes sense to try and corelate events with other clubs. The RD club is a friendly one with a nice mix of slowcoaches like myself and the speedier guys, but the racing is clean and I think we have fun, and that is what it's all about.

• Like Like x 3
  14. Brandon Wright

Ratings:
    +312 / 0 / -0
    I think this is a wise decision. I understand they want to offer "high quality" racing daily, but for this sim there just isn't enough of a crowd to support daily races and it ends up just thinning the crowd. In some ways RD's own high standards can be a bit of a detriment at times.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. James Cook

James Cook Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,013 / 0 / -0
    The problem I have with the RaceDepartment events is the start times. For instance, the club race mentioned above - WTCC 2014 @ Paul Ricard - the start times are as follows:

Practice: 18:00 GMT (30 minutes)
    Qualifying: 18:30 GMT (30 minutes)
    Race: 19:00 GMT (30 minutes)

This is typical for RD's R3E events (and most club races I think). Those times are just totally unworkable for me. At 6pm I'm either still at work or having dinner with my two-year-old son. Then I have all the family business and chores of an every day evening to attend to. By the time I can race it's 9pm at the earliest, often 10pm.

Good luck to the guys whom have the sort of home life that allows them to go and race at that time. I'm envious! Obviously it works a little better for people in mainland Europe who are GMT+1, but only very rarely would I get the chance to race so early in the evening. It's my fault, I should have looked into this more before I paid my RD subs.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. Brandon Wright

Ratings:
    +312 / 0 / -0
    Same here. They take place at 3pm my time and I don't unshackled from my work desk until 4pm. You'll never find one time that suits everyone, but it would be nice if there were different times available instead of always being at the one time.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Kjell Eilertsen

Ratings:
    +44 / 0 / -0
    Well there's the problem with timezones m8, it goes both ways.
    Using those start times means practice starts 8PM for me and race 9PM.
    If races where to start 10PM your time I could never attend them, thats midnight for me, so it's always going to be difficult to make a time that suits everyone.
    I guess it could be possible to hit it somewhere in between there, but I'll tell you that we had people complaining that races started too late when they started 19 GMT, so again, it's hard to please everybody ;)

• Like Like x 1
  18. Brandon Wright

Ratings:
    +312 / 0 / -0
    Yep. It really needs to be split into two events, one that's Euro-time friendly and one that's Murica-time friendly. But that would require two hosts, and when only a couple people are showing up for events that's probably a big ask to find another host. (Though, all it really needs is to have the server settings changed which just takes a minute or two.)

Here's an idea: Maybe they could just have the server running all day with a loop of races running at a known schedule/format, and then just let us organize our own time slots. For example, run it on an hour schedule of 15 minutes practice, 15 minutes qualifying, 30 minute race, so we know that every hour a race is starting. Then I could post in the designated thread "Hey, I'm going to be around for the 8pm EDT race. Anyone want to join for some racing?" and then anyone available could plan to join, or jump in at the last minute. It would only require someone to change the server settings once a day, and I think RD could leave it running all day like that. Eventually we'd probably notice that certain times are popular and could start planning our get-together's around those times. So instead of being a scheduled sit-down dinner, it would be more like a buffet where you come and go as you please.

Just a thought. I'm not familiar enough with how the server stuff works to know if the logistics would allow something like that.

• Like Like x 2
  19. James Cook

James Cook Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,013 / 0 / -0
    Sure, I appreciate all of that. Just a personal musing on why I never take part in RD events. Maybe a 'late night racers' sort of thing would have been nice (could have picked up more US east coast racers too).

I used to participate in, and organise, race events for Gran Turismo and Forza on a UK site called AVForums. As most people had busy work lives and young families, we always started racing at 9pm and continued past 10pm, often until 11pm. Worked really well for us. It helps that it was a UK site and almost everyone was on the same time zone so I understand the difficulty for an international site like RD.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Kjell Eilertsen

Ratings:
    +44 / 0 / -0
    I don't think that is possible atm. I might be wrong, but my experience with the servers is that if a server is left unused for a periode of time it will reset back to the start of the current session (or practice session?) when someone joins, which means there's no way to know for sure that an event will start on the hour other than setting up the server just before the event is about to take place.
    Having the ability to schedule sessions by set times was nr 1 on my wishlist.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1